Current time: 19/04/2024, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Economy
RE: The Economy
(29/12/2018 01:29)wirralbus Wrote:  The one thing that is going to come from this is another round of redundancies , you do get to the point sooner rather than later that the economy will nose dive as we have to pay unemployment benefits to these and these people will have less disposable income meaning less stuff bought and the cycle starts again and again and again.

I remember when there was an HMV in St Helens (Closed 8 Years ago) i used to buy Games from there however stopped using them when i clicked on the Game and Game Station at the time was selling the same Games at a lower price. It seems there is no market remaining for HMV and i think its a miracle the company has lasted this long.

Apparently a handful of Stores still get busy but even if they are saved wont this prolong the inevitable like Blockbuster in the USA with their 10 or so Stores?

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
There is no real need for shops like hmv anymore, if people want music or films they just go on line. Computer games also on line so all they are left with is t-shirt and calendars which people aren't going to go out of their way to HMV for.
Find all posts by this user
(28/12/2018 20:38)wirralbus Wrote:  Does anyone think that this time around we may see the demise of HMV

Does anybody remember how Blockbuster went, its market became smaller and smaller. HMV is exactly the same! I only go in nowadays mainly for earphones.
HMV , going ... going ... nearly gone .

Whats next Debenhams , WHSmith ??
(30/12/2018 00:32)wirralbus Wrote:  HMV , going ... going ... nearly gone .

Whats next Debenhams , WHSmith ??

A quick google and I’ve come across a D-Day article for high street retailers. Key information at the bottom of the article are dates when retailers are publishing their Christmas trading profits. Some of these shops like Topps Tiles, Carpetright and Game I expect to be closing stores. WH Smith some stores probably will shut but those with a Post Office and those at major train stations, service stations, airports and hospitals will survive.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/d-day-hig...d-13786687
Debenhams are going to be shutting some stores in the new year, that was mentioned a few months ago by the company. Don't think they have decided on where yet but I can't see all of Liverpool, Chester, Southport and Warrington surviving, I would imagine one of those will go.
I dont think we will see Game closing any stores yet, Gaming is a big thing still

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
(29/12/2018 10:30)MPTE1955 Wrote:  There is no real need for shops like hmv anymore, if people want music or films they just go on line. Computer games also on line so all they are left with is t-shirt and calendars which people aren't going to go out of their way to HMV for.

Furthermore, with music, if there is something we want to listen to, we can often listen online thorugh streaming or Youtube for example. If we want a random selection of say 60s tunes we no longer need to buy a compilation CD as we can find such shows on the radio, including internet radio.
(05/01/2019 20:49)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Furthermore, with music, if there is something we want to listen to, we can often listen online thorugh streaming or Youtube for example. If we want a random selection of say 60s tunes we no longer need to buy a compilation CD as we can find such shows on the radio, including internet radio.

Soon everything will be computerised and there will be no need for physical shops everything will be bought from websites on laptops and smartphones , and it will not just be music .
HMV has been saved by a company based in Canada, 100 Stores are saved so 27 will close, The closing Stores will be announced later today.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)