Current time: 28/03/2024, 16:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(13/12/2018 22:33)Brickmill Wrote:  Probably, but that's hardly relevant. What is relevant is the wide disparity between fars on their OWN routes and whether they are breaking laws such as cross-subsidy to achieve this. Their intentions for the proposed e-bus and redeployment of hybrids and Euro6s make their intentions absolutely clear - a two tier system of low quality,high fare captive market in east Manchester, Tameside and Stockport paying for a high quality low fare politically influencial market of south Manchester, Trafford and Salford. The REAL question is, how closely are the trillionaires in Siiicon Valley watching and how many more tens/hundreds of thousands of cars can suburban eastern Gtr. Manchester sustain on its roads?

Well judging by current gridlock it's not going to take much more to cripple the roads altogether but as I've said many times before, both the companies and dare I say it TFGM, hardly do a good job of persuading punters out of their cars and onto buses.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I wonder why Stagecoach are withdrawing 168s? As unless there's something going to be replacing them it will mean a long winded trip from Ashton-Droylsden now and the other way round as the only route left will be Stagecoach's own 231 service which isn't the most direct route to/from Ashton.

Also there's some unique parts of the route that only 168 currently serves and other routes don't, for example the Estate at the back of A6 in Longisght.

Makes me wonder whether Stagecoach are playing the game of withdrawing it hoping that TfGM put it up for tender so that they or someone else can run it.
(14/12/2018 06:53)M60lad Wrote:  I wonder why Stagecoach are withdrawing 168s? As unless there's something going to be replacing them it will mean a long winded trip from Ashton-Droylsden now and the other way round as the only route left will be Stagecoach's own 231 service which isn't the most direct route to/from Ashton.

Also there's some unique parts of the route that only 168 currently serves and other routes don't, for example the Estate at the back of A6 in Longisght.

Makes me wonder whether Stagecoach are playing the game of withdrawing it hoping that TfGM put it up for tender so that they or someone else can run it.
Don't forget that this weekend is 42 days notice when all can be revealed. I know roughly what is happening but not full details. Suffice to say a number of other services are involved at both ends of the current route and there is very little money left for service replacement.
[quote='Mayneway' pid='124231' dateline='1544742464']

Well judging by current gridlock it's not going to take much more to cripple the roads altogether but as I've said many times before, both the companies and dare I say it TFGM, hardly do a good job of persuading punters out of their cars and onto buses.
[/quote
Can t disagree on either point but from what I see in the media and here elsewhere, Stagecoach regard traffic congestion as purely a city centre issue whilst TFGM consider it more widespread. TFGM s problem and I fear Andy Burnham's is that they don't have local councils on board. same goes for some, not all MPs. I am in discussion with one Labour MP locqlly and was both shocked and encouraged by an unsolicited comment that echosbmy brothers thought that TFGM means Transport for Gtr Metrolink.
(14/12/2018 06:53)M60lad Wrote:  I wonder why Stagecoach are withdrawing 168s? As unless there's something going to be replacing them it will mean a long winded trip from Ashton-Droylsden now and the other way round as the only route left will be Stagecoach's own 231 service which isn't the most direct route to/from Ashton.

As it stands from the Sunnyside Road estate it would take less time to walk to Market Street and get a 7/216 to Ashton then get a 231 to Ashton. This obviously isn't an option for a large portion of the passengers of this service (pass holders) so its looking like a 40 minute journey where there was once a 15 minute journey.

Wrt your final point, its entirely possible this could happen, similar to what happened with the 88/114, or what happened when the 169 went and the 172 was re-routed.

Facebook
Flickr
Joseph Alker Photography
(14/12/2018 07:19)Brickmill Wrote:  [quote='Mayneway' pid='124231' dateline='1544742464']

[/quote
Can t disagree on either point but from what I see in the media and here elsewhere, Stagecoach regard traffic congestion as purely a city centre issue whilst TFGM consider it more widespread. TFGM s problem and I fear Andy Burnham's is that they don't have local councils on board. same goes for some, not all MPs. I am in discussion with one Labour MP locqlly and was both shocked and encouraged by an unsolicited comment that echosbmy brothers thought that TFGM means Transport for Gtr Metrolink.

Completely agree with your last sentence. Look at Ashton.... every set of traffic lights set to let trams come and go regardless of the gridlock around them.
(14/12/2018 10:45)joe_alker Wrote:  As it stands from the Sunnyside Road estate it would take less time to walk to Market Street and get a 7/216 to Ashton then get a 231 to Ashton. This obviously isn't an option for a large portion of the passengers of this service (pass holders) so its looking like a 40 minute journey where there was once a 15 minute journey.

Wrt your final point, its entirely possible this could happen, similar to what happened with the 88/114, or what happened when the 169 went and the 172 was re-routed.

I really really do wonder what stagecoach are playing at. I live on the 168 route and I know that both the 168/169 services were and are extremely busy. Seems like madness that they want to cut it completely but then look at the evening service. The 169 was pretty busy in the evenings when JPT/MCT ran it. I think the last short journey to Belle Vue tended to carry fresh air but other than that it was busy, TFGM chopped and hacked away at it. Retimed the journeys and now I only ever see it empty.
(10/12/2018 20:31)Brickmill Wrote:  Can you be more specific, bearing in mind no one (outside M'cr City Council) knows exactly what this work entails in terms of disruption, diversion and duration?

Also, how is the 7 (physically) different to the rest of not only buses, but all traffic?
Well 203 would have to take mount road if road is blocked as can't see 203 taking 7 route through Dane bank but they could add more 7 from gorton to Stockport or put deckers on like they do on Saturday.
(18/12/2018 05:45)Mrboo Wrote:  Well 203 would have to take mount road if road is blocked as can't see 203 taking 7 route through Dane bank but they could add more 7 from gorton to Stockport or put deckers on like they do on Saturday.

Still not clear why 7 is different apart from which it represents a tiny minority of journeys. Also what about all the Denton and beyond services?
(18/12/2018 13:33)Brickmill Wrote:  Still not clear why 7 is different apart from which it represents a tiny minority of journeys. Also what about all the Denton and beyond services?

they would keep hyde road open as no way you can close A57 but most likely they will keep all open and just put in temp lanes and lights and do like what they do with new motorway work and do one side at time it would not really make much of a jam as hyde road is single lane anyway a few yards up road it just turning into reddish lane that the issue. taking 203 off hyde road would help. and it only really locals from Gorton to Reddish that loses 203 so 7 could cover.

User(s) browsing this thread: Y458 KNF, 84 Guest(s)