Current time: 28/03/2024, 16:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(30/11/2018 22:31)Brickmill Wrote:  Coincidentally, I did see one of the ebay AOAs on Aytoun Street this morning, and it looked like it was clear of the windows. This hasn't always been the case, as I recall recently being subjected to travelling on 19413 twice within a few days (once on ostensibly MMC operated 201). This heap of junk not only had all but two windows each side obscured by contravision, I don't even recall seeing an external advert. Needless to say, the seats were also threadbare, so certainly no "subsidising" of cash-cow Hyde Road corridor routes.

You seem very anti Stagecoach at the moment Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(01/12/2018 09:41)Mayneway Wrote:  You seem very anti Stagecoach at the moment Smile

Ever since the change in strategy in 2014/5....
(30/11/2018 22:31)Brickmill Wrote:  Coincidentally, I did see one of the ebay AOAs on Aytoun Street this morning, and it looked like it was clear of the windows. This hasn't always been the case, as I recall recently being subjected to travelling on 19413 twice within a few days (once on ostensibly MMC operated 201). This heap of junk not only had all but two windows each side obscured by contravision, I don't even recall seeing an external advert. Needless to say, the seats were also threadbare, so certainly no "subsidising" of cash-cow Hyde Road corridor routes.

19413 has a very broad "T-plate" style hoarding off side, blocking the first two bays. This was one of 11 diesel Enviro400s noted on Hyde Road corridor (I think 201/3/4/5 all interwork on Sundays), alongside 4 hybrids. Not a single E400M to be seen. Unfortunately, I am having to make some early morning weekend journeys to/from the MRI for some weeks, so this morning was the first time I've been down Oxford Road on a Sunday for many a year. Similarly, Stagecoach had hardly any buses less than 10 yo running along there. I think I saw one hybrid on 42B and 1x E400M on 111. Otherwise, everything was Euro3/4 diesel.
A slightly unusual question for a bus forum - but "bread and butter" on spotting sights for other forms of transport:
As of 1440-1450 today (Wed 5th) can anybody based on internal knowledge or observations of Wigan depot ops, advise exactly where the Enviro300s were - specifically the 08 reg (2258x).
Hint; when I say Wigan ops, I do mean registered local service but geographically as "un" local as they Wigan buses normally get.

If its felt appropriate, can you e-mail me off group rather than clogging the forum.......

tia
I see a Megarider will increase to £16 and a Dayrider to £4.80 in January
(06/12/2018 11:40)urmstonian Wrote:  I see a Megarider will increase to £16 and a Dayrider to £4.80 in January

Can you advise the source as there is nothing on Stagecoach's website? I assume its from 3rd January, but am keen to know if single fares will increase as well. I suspect they will and am wondering how it will affect their Loyalty Premium policy ie. will the gap between fares on the 38 and to a lesser extent Wilmslow Road and Middleton be closed or widened compared to the captive market fares in Tameside, Stockport, east Manchester etc.
(06/12/2018 15:34)Brickmill Wrote:  Can you advise the source as there is nothing on Stagecoach's website? I assume its from 3rd January, but am keen to know if single fares will increase as well. I suspect they will and am wondering how it will affect their Loyalty Premium policy ie. will the gap between fares on the 38 and to a lesser extent Wilmslow Road and Middleton be closed or widened compared to the captive market fares in Tameside, Stockport, east Manchester etc.

A poster on the drivers cab door. The new fares come in on 2nd jan. There's a special 38 Megarider but I can't remember the change.

I'm sure the prices I quote are correct, but the poster is low down and only readable for a few seconds whilst waiting to disembark. It says most single fares are frozen.
(06/12/2018 17:25)urmstonian Wrote:  A poster on the drivers cab door. The new fares come in on 2nd jan. There's a special 38 Megarider but I can't remember the change.

I'm sure the prices I quote are correct, but the poster is low down and only readable for a few seconds whilst waiting to disembark. It says most single fares are frozen.

That 38 MegaRider could prove very interesting. The existing price is £12 which is only 25% below standard fare rates; Single fares on the 38 are on another planet compared to the rest of the network (Middleton Road & Wilmslow Road excepted). Can I ask which depot's bus you saw it on, btw? It is likely that I will be on a HE bus tomorrow and almost certain to be on HE buses (and/or Sharston) on Saturday, so will try and get the chance to look myself. In practice, it won't be tomorrow as the bus will almost certainly have standing passengers stood in front of the driver's cab door.

In general, things are getting more and more "intriguing" by the day for the people of the eastern Manchester. Or to put it another way, the transport version of the nuclear clock has now passed 2 minutes to 12, and some form of catastrophe must happen during 2019.

I'm trying to work out whether this fare rise was expected or not, and what the final factor was. The only thing I can think of is that Stagecoach are more confident than ever that Franchising won't happen and the process will be stopped before the public consultation. Based on both statistics I've seen (which I shouldn't have) recently and a national report from about 10 years ago - based not only on average loadings, but bus dependency (ie. low car ownership and no realistic access to our appalling Rail network), this would be very bad news for eastern GM (the poorest quadrant in the county) compared to the other three.
The news has also got considerably worse today - albeit this wasn't unexpected because it is a DECADE late - in that Reddish Bridge re-alignment will take place next year, and it is already suggested this will make the MSIRR work look like a Sunday afternoon picnic. Given the DAILY gridlock caused by appalling unpoliced driving on the M60; the systematic, insidious cuts in service levels, crazy re-routings (Haughton Green-M'cr) and now vehicle quality cuts, in the Manchester-Hyde/Denton-Stockport "saucepan" is already on the edge of catastrophe every other day. Imagine if the events of 17th October (alluded to by a Hyde Road driver on BBC NW a week or two back) happened alongside a mismanaged closure of Reddish Bridge.
Indeed, we don't know the details of the closure and as far as I can tell based on the original plans, the road must be COMPLETELY closed around the bridge for a period. Literally, how will traffic get around that. The nearest diversion road is Longford Road West and through Longsight.
There is only one answer, but it can't happen because of the reaction of the Manchester Mafia - and that is the complete obliteration of the crack houses and pub on Friendship Avenue and Woodland Avenue. This would be done by dynamite, same way as Cooling Towers and blocks of flats are destroyed. I believe the original plan from the late noughties included this as the ideal solution to reduce the blockade to hours instead of days or weeks. Unfortunately,the various "public" meetings that have been going on in the intervening years, solely involved Manchester residents, not Tameside or Stockport whose council tax payers would be affected FAR more.
It's also the first time in a while that Stagecoach have made changes to fares just after new year. They normally happen just after easter. Be interesting to see if First increase there prices or will the gap between 'the good and bad' get smaller.
(06/12/2018 21:30)Brickmill Wrote:  That 38 MegaRider could prove very interesting. The existing price is £12 which is only 25% below standard fare rates; Single fares on the 38 are on another planet compared to the rest of the network (Middleton Road & Wilmslow Road excepted). Can I ask which depot's bus you saw it on, btw? It is likely that I will be on a HE bus tomorrow and almost certain to be on HE buses (and/or Sharston) on Saturday, so will try and get the chance to look myself. In practice, it won't be tomorrow as the bus will almost certainly have standing passengers stood in front of the driver's cab door.

In general, things are getting more and more "intriguing" by the day for the people of the eastern Manchester. Or to put it another way, the transport version of the nuclear clock has now passed 2 minutes to 12, and some form of catastrophe must happen during 2019.

I'm trying to work out whether this fare rise was expected or not, and what the final factor was. The only thing I can think of is that Stagecoach are more confident than ever that Franchising won't happen and the process will be stopped before the public consultation. Based on both statistics I've seen (which I shouldn't have) recently and a national report from about 10 years ago - based not only on average loadings, but bus dependency (ie. low car ownership and no realistic access to our appalling Rail network), this would be very bad news for eastern GM (the poorest quadrant in the county) compared to the other three.
The news has also got considerably worse today - albeit this wasn't unexpected because it is a DECADE late - in that Reddish Bridge re-alignment will take place next year, and it is already suggested this will make the MSIRR work look like a Sunday afternoon picnic. Given the DAILY gridlock caused by appalling unpoliced driving on the M60; the systematic, insidious cuts in service levels, crazy re-routings (Haughton Green-M'cr) and now vehicle quality cuts, in the Manchester-Hyde/Denton-Stockport "saucepan" is already on the edge of catastrophe every other day. Imagine if the events of 17th October (alluded to by a Hyde Road driver on BBC NW a week or two back) happened alongside a mismanaged closure of Reddish Bridge.
Indeed, we don't know the details of the closure and as far as I can tell based on the original plans, the road must be COMPLETELY closed around the bridge for a period. Literally, how will traffic get around that. The nearest diversion road is Longford Road West and through Longsight.
There is only one answer, but it can't happen because of the reaction of the Manchester Mafia - and that is the complete obliteration of the crack houses and pub on Friendship Avenue and Woodland Avenue. This would be done by dynamite, same way as Cooling Towers and blocks of flats are destroyed. I believe the original plan from the late noughties included this as the ideal solution to reduce the blockade to hours instead of days or weeks. Unfortunately,the various "public" meetings that have been going on in the intervening years, solely involved Manchester residents, not Tameside or Stockport whose council tax payers would be affected FAR more.
The poster was on a Hyde Road bus on 256 service. In fact I saw it on 2 buses. The positioning is in the worst location to read in any great detail, the poster had a full list of different ticket types on in. I imagine its positioning is deliberate!

User(s) browsing this thread: gka472l, Y458 KNF, 91 Guest(s)