Current time: 25/04/2024, 10:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
I've also heard this Rotala exampled used before... by people close to Stagecoach. I suppose time will tell!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I beleive arriva made a bid for it when first put it up for sale so you never know arriva might try again.
(09/12/2017 19:18)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Maybe Stagecoach want to sell Wigan, to Rotala for example, in order to purchase Network Warrington but reduce the risk of a CMA disapproval.

Why are there repeated suggestions about anyone buying Network Warrington ? Is there any evidence that Warrington Council wish to sell their shares ?

I suspect that both Warrington & Halton buses will both remain under council control unless they are forced to sell by a future tory government.
(09/12/2017 19:18)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Maybe Stagecoach want to sell Wigan, to Rotala for example, in order to purchase Network Warrington but reduce the risk of a CMA disapproval.

Not that warrington want to sell but the overlap between stagecoach is minimal, Only at altrincham interchange & leigh town centre, i think stagecoach wanted or still want halton but halton doing fine as they are, arriva buying stagecoach Wigan would be looked at with arriva having routes into Wigan in many directions, could Wigan be transferred to Merseyside operation or is that not practical
I have heard rumours relating to Wigan before, but I reckon it is all pie in the sky.

The CMA would get involved in any acquisition, as Stagecoach refer all purchases as a matter of course. Warrington or Halton wouldn't be a problem, as there is no significant reduction in competition.

However, the one I have heard is selling Wigan to buy First Bolton.... it ties in with the RATP rumour that has been doing the rounds, but again, the overlap isn't much of an issue as it is minimal where it does exist. However, again I don't think there is much merit to the rumour.

At the end of the day, this is an industry that is full of rumours, most of which just evolves from idle gossip.
(10/12/2017 20:02)Nicholas Wrote:  I have heard rumours relating to Wigan before, but I reckon it is all pie in the sky.

The CMA would get involved in any acquisition, as Stagecoach refer all purchases as a matter of course. Warrington or Halton wouldn't be a problem, as there is no significant reduction in competition.

However, the one I have heard is selling Wigan to buy First Bolton.... it ties in with the RATP rumour that has been doing the rounds, but again, the overlap isn't much of an issue as it is minimal where it does exist. However, again I don't think there is much merit to the rumour.

At the end of the day, this is an industry that is full of rumours, most of which just evolves from idle gossip.

Irrelevant of who is involved (or indeed, not), I can't understand why anyone would be rushing into decisions about GM ops *before* they know what legal framework buses will be running under by the next decade.
(10/12/2017 20:38)Brickmill Wrote:  Irrelevant of who is involved (or indeed, not), I can't understand why anyone would be rushing into decisions about GM ops *before* they know what legal framework buses will be running under by the next decade.

Very true - the earliest we would know any detail in particular would be later this week, when Andy Burnham is to make an announcement on the issue.
Fares going up in January:

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...y-2018-man
(13/12/2017 17:41)SF07 Wrote:  Fares going up in January:

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and...y-2018-man

Although note that some singles are going down in price.
(13/12/2017 21:16)Nicholas Wrote:  Although note that some singles are going down in price.

These appear to be "non standard" fares. Normal singles hereabouts are £1.70 or £1.90 (up to £2) and most typical of all, £2.30 which goes up to £2.50. Remember, it is also only less than 9 months since the last fare increase which averaged 7.4%

User(s) browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)