Current time: 19/04/2024, 06:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Princes Street
Princes Street
If anyone is interested, Princes Street in Edinburgh is re-opening to traffic next Saturday after white-lining has been done.

Mal

Madder and white; probably the best livery in the world!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Princes Street
That will be a relief to many people. I was there 4 weeks ago, and some of the tramlines still needed replacing.
It seems that all the rails are now in place and that only the road-lining is to be done. According to the Edinburgh Evening News, it will be open from Waverley Bridge to the West End from Saturday. Buses will use Princes Str then St Andrew Sq and York Place until September when both York Place and the Bus Station will be closed from Sept 2012 until 'late 2013. Then all the works outside the Balmoral Hotel will be cleared so that the rest of Princes Street will be open to give buses a straight route to Leith Street and the Bridges. Oh, what jolly fun Edinburgh folk are having! Wink
Incidentally, when I was in Edinburgh in May, I tried to buy a Lothian Buses routemap, but was told they are not issuing any more until the tramworks are done, so you'll need a good memory for your bus routes!!

Mal

(25/06/2012 22:11)Mal Wrote:  It seems that all the rails are now in place and that only the road-lining is to be done. According to the Edinburgh Evening News, it will be open from Waverley Bridge to the West End from Saturday. Buses will use Princes Str then St Andrew Sq and York Place until September when both York Place and the Bus Station will be closed from Sept 2012 until 'late 2013. Then all the works outside the Balmoral Hotel will be cleared so that the rest of Princes Street will be open to give buses a straight route to Leith Street and the Bridges. Oh, what jolly fun Edinburgh folk are having! Wink
Incidentally, when I was in Edinburgh in May, I tried to buy a Lothian Buses routemap, but was told they are not issuing any more until the tramworks are done, so you'll need a good memory for your bus routes!!

Mal

I also went to Edinburgh in May. The reason they gave for not having maps was that they were waiting to print a new one once the First routes had been taken over. Thankfully I had an old map and printed off the diagram off the Lothian Buses website. They have updated it now. http://lothianbuses.com/images/stories/p...120624.pdf
Thanks for that Metroline! When I go back home again, I'll get a copy which will keep me ticking over. What I really wanted was the Edinburgh & Lothians Street and Bus Map. This extends from Edinburgh Airport to Port Seton and to Penicuik and Gorebridge in the south. It opens out to 117cm by 83cm and shows all LB bus routes and roads, as well as hospitals, main hotels and theatres. On the reverse it has a frequency guide for each route and a street index as well. Not bad for £2 50!! If only every bus company could have detailed maps like that!

Mal

Mal

Yes, such a map would help for people who want to look up a landmark or amenity and see immediately which bus routes go there. Although most of Princes Street is reopening to traffic, there are soon closures on York Place until the end of next year.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)