Current time: 18/04/2024, 14:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Old Merseytravel Contract Routes
RE: Old Merseytravel Contract Routes
I could be wrong on this but I thinkvthe 118/119 is the contract which has stayed with the same operator for the longest period (Merseybus/MTL/Arriva). Has been with these for about 25 years. Another long standing contract was the 121/122 in St Helens which was with Merseybus/MTL/Arriva for 22.5 years before being won by Hattons in October 2011.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(18/06/2013 15:48)wirralbus Wrote:  Some Wirral Merseytravel contracts have changed over the years .

The 112 survives intact after several years being removed when the 38 operated to Poulton Royd and not New Ferry. It does make you think was there any commercial objective there .

The 114 and 214 operated from New Ferry Pier to Broadway (Higher Beington) operating in a circular via Town Lane and Kings Lane , service . The 114 and 214 operated the same route one clockwise and the other anticlockwise. The Avon 77 covers both Kings lane and Town Lane in a loop en route between Birkenhead and West Kirby , dont ever make the mistake of thinking it will quickly get you to West Kirby from Birkenhead.

Another route that has been lost is the 128 Leasowe - Manor Drive peak hour only service , i really dont understand the history in this route , Manor Drive terminus was at the very bottom end of Upton so there was no logical focal point as such probably just a decent place to turn a bus around to return without going into Upton Village . This route no longer exists though the 181 covers it mostly now .

151 Birkenhead Park - Port Sunlight , which then became Woodside - Port Sunlight sadly this route has succumbed to Merseytravel financial pressures over the years and now doesnt exist leaving one of Merseyside's finest villages with no buses travelling to it .

I think the 128 ran from Leasowe Station to Upton Station, maybe for the trains to/from Wrexham?
There was little point in that with the train service running to Bidston at Upton Station. I think the 128 operated from where it did because the Bidston - Wrexham wasnt funded by MPTE or Merseytravel and this route was an easy way of getting people to a Merseyrail Station , what killed the route off in the end probably was the big car park that was eventually built at leasowe.
A Merseytravel contract route I have a timetable for the 902 Overchurch - Upton Library. I'll look through my collection to see if I have more contract routes, I'll scan them and put them on my flickr when I get the time!

I collect old Merseytravel/rail timetables and maps, I am also a photographer.
I live in Australia as a Dual Australian/British Citizen.
(22/06/2013 17:20)LukeO25 Wrote:  A Merseytravel contract route I have a timetable for the 902 Overchurch - Upton Library. I'll look through my collection to see if I have more contract routes, I'll scan them and put them on my flickr when I get the time!

If i remember correctly this service was introduced for a short while after the section of the Upton Bypass cut off both parts of Saughall Massie Road , the top half nearest to Upton Village now becoming Saughall Massie Lane to differentiate between the two.

I also seem to think it was operated by RedRider , if memory serves me right it was a vehicle that was used on the 138/139 contract at the time that covered these journeys .
Here is 2 timetables I recently scanned for the 112 & 902. I have many more to scan this is just 2 of them! http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukeorourke...282052872/

I collect old Merseytravel/rail timetables and maps, I am also a photographer.
I live in Australia as a Dual Australian/British Citizen.
That 112 was when the 38 ran to Poulton Royd but finished a bit early and these journeys where fill in jobs .
Talking of old Merseytravel contract routes, one that is no longer with is is Merseytravel route 224 (later Smart 1) - (Aigburth Vale - Broadgreen Hospital).

20 years ago today is the last day that was 'just' route 224 - On 12th July 1993 is became the first route in the UK to have a proper low floor bus, in the shape of Neoplan N4014 K930 EWG, later becoming Smart 1 in February 1994.

Happy 20th Birthday Merseytravel Smart!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)