Current time: 24/04/2024, 16:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West bus strike
RE: Potential Arriva North West bus strike
(23/07/2022 11:03)Mayneway Wrote:  or simply to have a break from work.

No. Just no. :roll eyes:
Nobody goes on strike unpaid for a break from work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
It's a sad state of affairs, but Arriva have brought this upon themselves by assuming they can pay their staff next to nothing, and expecting the staff to go along with it. People will only be pushed so far before they bite back.

The company is getting a bit desperate. Read on a FB group that Arriva have won the Merseytravel contract for the all-day Formby circulars. This is unexpected. These contracts were usually the domain of the so-called "lower-cost" operators (Cumfy Bus, HTL, etc) so for Arriva muscling in says a lot to me about the state of the company.

The Beatles, Fountains Of Wayne, XTC, The Who, ELO

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(23/07/2022 11:18)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  No. Just no. :roll eyes:
Nobody goes on strike unpaid for a break from work.

It’s not unpaid. There getting between £350-£400 a week for showing up and doing a minimum of 3 hours flag waving. Of course there will be drivers there for a skive. I’ve got colleagues who even to this day say they only went on strike for a break from driving.
(23/07/2022 11:26)teenagewasteland Wrote:  It's a sad state of affairs, but Arriva have brought this upon themselves by assuming they can pay their staff next to nothing, and expecting the staff to go along with it. People will only be pushed so far before they bite back.
Merseyside is one of the best paid in terms of bus operations. Not many bus operators match the Arriva Merseyside. Elsewhere, granted the gap is bigger but they'd be hard pressed to find another operator offering better.

If the pay is that poor, why aren't all these drivers leaving to go to the really highly paid companies? We have a driver shortage, you can walk into another operator and start work that day.

DISCLAIMER:
This isn't me saying that I am against the whole strike. It is purely in reply to the comment made that drivers are paid next to nothing.
(23/07/2022 18:51)iMarkeh Wrote:  If the pay is that poor, why aren't all these drivers leaving to go to the really highly paid companies? We have a driver shortage, you can walk into another operator and start work that day.

DISCLAIMER:
This isn't me saying that I am against the whole strike. It is purely in reply to the comment made that drivers are paid next to nothing.

Maybe they like the job, but not the pay. They won't be the first employees in any profession to be in this situation.

During lockdown, the bus companies were well compensated for their lack of trade. This hasn't gone unnoticed by staff who are mindful that the employer is flush, yet in comparison they are getting very little.

The bus companies are playing a dangerous game - it is the ultimate folly of deregulation in that who do they back? The shareholders or the staff?

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
(23/07/2022 11:26)teenagewasteland Wrote:  It's a sad state of affairs, but Arriva have brought this upon themselves by assuming they can pay their staff next to nothing, and expecting the staff to go along with it. People will only be pushed so far before they bite back.

The company is getting a bit desperate. Read on a FB group that Arriva have won the Merseytravel contract for the all-day Formby circulars. This is unexpected. These contracts were usually the domain of the so-called "lower-cost" operators (Cumfy Bus, HTL, etc) so for Arriva muscling in says a lot to me about the state of the company.

Cumfybus run the Formby Circulars (& Maghull Circulars) & I read somewhere a while back that the owner of Cumfybus was fed up with Merseytravel and wouldn't tender for any of their work. So maybe he has
decided now is the time to quit. Speculation on my part I'll admit, but I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
RE: Arriva North West bus strike
The next question to be answered is Arriva's answer at the end of the day , is the Merseyside /North West operation going to be downsized after this strike .
(23/07/2022 22:00)wirralbus Wrote:  The next question to be answered is Arriva's answer at the end of the day , is the Merseyside /North West operation going to be downsized after this strike .

It's already been down-sized like crazy without any need for strike action. When Arriva North West took over MTL in February 2000, they then had a combined fleet-strength of about 1500 vehicles. Today, the fleet is about half that total.

All Arriva have ever been interested in is consolidation. The management have absolutely no clue about exploiting any commercial opportunities, or are not interested. One only has to look at Stagecoach's X10 between Kirkby and Pensarn to realise the difference between the two organisations - Stagecoach are still willing to take a commercial risk, even in these odd times.

I am no fan of deregulation, but circumstances have dictated that these businesses need to survive. And all I can see with Arriva North West is a death that will quickly come to pass unless they appreciate their staff and come out of their little bubble on Ormskirk Road.

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
Been told today of a rep at my work that Arriva management have put an offer of 8% on the table, unite have advised members to vote no and push for 9%.
(24/07/2022 00:06)Mayneway pigd='150799 Wrote:Been told today of a rep at my work that Arriva management have put an offer of 8% on the table, unite have advised members to vote no and push for 9%.

They have offered 8% but into 2 separate parts.
5% april-october
3% october-april.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)