Current time: 18/04/2024, 06:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Warrington's Own Buses
RE: Warrington's Own Buses
Thought there would be floods of reports. No notices in the bus station that Fairbrother had ceased, nor WBT vehicles on hire or with his route numbers.
I wonder if this agreement is little more than WBT taking on the drivers saving Fairbrother paying redundancy and WBT not having to pay recruitment costs?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(20/08/2018 16:07)mikestone Wrote:  Thought there would be floods of reports. No notices in the bus station that Fairbrother had ceased, nor WBT vehicles on hire or with his route numbers.
I wonder if this agreement is little more than WBT taking on the drivers saving Fairbrother paying redundancy and WBT not having to pay recruitment costs?
This would to be expected. The council never put notices up about anything. They moved all the buses round to stand 1 and not 1 poster was put up. Nothing for service changes. The 15X timetable wasn't even printed on proper timetable. I thought it would have been obvious that the services never ran as they are all WBT dupes. The schools will be the routes which they have taken over. 8 buses worth of school runs.
I did actually notice the timetable board at the bus stop across from the Town Hall had been updated - it must be one of the few WBC do update on time) and the ex-Fairbrother services were missing. Not much point them carrying them on really. The one stop display I noticed in Bewsey hadn't been updated - but that is par for the course with the council.
I thought it was obvious they wouldn't run bur Fairbrother's facebook page certainly suggested otherwisr, while the poundtotown website has no mention of any change.
15a/x leaflet still available in the travel centre
Again as I expected, Linknetwork running normally.
(20/08/2018 16:07)mikestone Wrote:  I wonder if this agreement is little more than WBT taking on the drivers saving Fairbrother paying redundancy and WBT not having to pay recruitment costs?

If the drivers have been TUPEd across it means their existing contract conditions remain in place unless both parties agree to a change. Crucially for drivers that means the contract start date will be treated as the date they started working for Fairbrothers.
(21/08/2018 08:26)knutstransport Wrote:  If the drivers have been TUPEd across it means their existing contract conditions remain in place unless both parties agree to a change. Crucially for drivers that means the contract start date will be treated as the date they started working for Fairbrothers.

Will they be tuped though?? WOB hasn't taken over Fairbrothers or bought any part of the business as far as we know, it's a simple case of WOB agreeing to take on some/all Fairbrothers work and agreed to give the drivers work. I would imagine the drivers have been offered jobs with WOB rather than tuping over.
(21/08/2018 09:49)Mayneway Wrote:  Will they be tuped though?? WOB hasn't taken over Fairbrothers or bought any part of the business as far as we know, it's a simple case of WOB agreeing to take on some/all Fairbrothers work and agreed to give the drivers work. I would imagine the drivers have been offered jobs with WOB rather than tuping over.

Either the ex-Fairbrothers drivers need to be given pay in lieu of notice and a redundancy payment or TUPE applies. As it sounds like existing contracts have been transferred from one business to another and the workers have followed the contracts I think it's unlikely they've been made redundant from Fairbrothers.
(21/08/2018 10:24)knutstransport Wrote:  Either the ex-Fairbrothers drivers need to be given pay in lieu of notice and a redundancy payment or TUPE applies. As it sounds like existing contracts have been transferred from one business to another and the workers have followed the contracts I think it's unlikely they've been made redundant from Fairbrothers.

It's all very complicated and I think the crux of it all is what the situation is regarding Fairbrothers, ie is the company ceasing trading or continuing in a different direction. The issue for WOB is they will now have some drivers on a different contract and on a lower salary which will in time potentially cause issues.
(21/08/2018 10:48)Mayneway Wrote:  It's all very complicated and I think the crux of it all is what the situation is regarding Fairbrothers, ie is the company ceasing trading or continuing in a different direction. The issue for WOB is they will now have some drivers on a different contract and on a lower salary which will in time potentially cause issues.

According to the Warrington Guardian, Fairbrother will continue as a coach operator.
From WOB's point of view, having low cost drivers on board may well be considered Nice to Have. Or they could be generous and offer their (better) terms. There have been many instances over the years of companies having drivers doing the same work for different rates and, though some drivers might be resentful of this, ultimately many may be appreciative of simply not being left out of work. What eventually transpires will be down to what was (or wasn't) negotiated between WOB and Fairbrother.
(21/08/2018 10:24)knutstransport Wrote:  Either the ex-Fairbrothers drivers need to be given pay in lieu of notice and a redundancy payment or TUPE applies. As it sounds like existing contracts have been transferred from one business to another and the workers have followed the contracts I think it's unlikely they've been made redundant from Fairbrothers.

Fairbrothers drivers didnt have a contract and the drivers that have come over are on the same rate of pay as all the other WOB's drivers.

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)