Current time: 18/04/2024, 09:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Abellio to Supply Rail Replacement to TfW
Abellio to Supply Rail Replacement to TfW
After a very Long time Arriva will no Longer be running Rail Replacement in Wales after TfW has gone with a tender with Abellio to supply rail replacement. Arriva started there Rail replacement unit as a inhouse unit based in Arriva train wales offices in Cardiff for ATW. I don`t know when they take over but currently they are setting up there control room in Cardiff. But you would think it will be on the winter timetable change.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Abellio to supply rail replacement to TfW
(16/10/2020 21:34)Mrboo Wrote:  After a very Long time Arriva will no Longer be running Rail Replacement in Wales after TfW has gone with a tender with Abellio to supply rail replacement. Arriva started there Rail replacement unit as a inhouse unit based in Arriva train wales offices in Cardiff for ATW. I don`t know when they take over but currently they are setting up there control room in Cardiff. But you would think it will be on the winter timetable change.

Do you have a source for this information?

SK15 GZG
2010 | 2345 | 2474 | 2590 | 3052 | 3059 | 3061 | 5314 | 6408 | 6606 | 7537
4164 | 4593 | 4664 | 4670 | 4672 | 4678 | 4836
(16/10/2020 22:01)SK15 GZG Wrote:  Do you have a source for this information?
Yes I work for Arriva so we been informed that we have lost it and there no more info.

As a rule they Don`t inform public channels as it a suppler contract between two private companies

if you look at vacancies at ARR
https://apply.abellio.com/vacancies/

We have an exciting opportunity to join our Rail Replacement Team as control staff based at our Cardiff depot. The successful candidate(s) will manage the day to day operations of our bus, coach & taxi operations in response to planned and emergency operations on behalf of Transport for Wales (Rail).

Contract Manager, Wales Cardiff,
Control & Schedules Manager, Wales Cardiff
Senior Controller, Wales
Do Abellio have resources to operate the services? I recall when they provided Merseyrail rail replacement buses they hired in drivers from Selwyns to drive deckers which had been freed up by the introduction of new buses in London.
(17/10/2020 09:11)knutstransport Wrote:  Do Abellio have resources to operate the services? I recall when they provided Merseyrail rail replacement buses they hired in drivers from Selwyns to drive deckers which had been freed up by the introduction of new buses in London.

I remember that as well - they kept the buses at Selwyns depot which was ok for planned rail replacement work but hopeless for emergency work at short notice
(17/10/2020 09:11)knutstransport Wrote:  Do Abellio have resources to operate the services? I recall when they provided Merseyrail rail replacement buses they hired in drivers from Selwyns to drive deckers which had been freed up by the introduction of new buses in London.

It'd be ironic if they ended up hiring buses from Arriva

SK15 GZG
2010 | 2345 | 2474 | 2590 | 3052 | 3059 | 3061 | 5314 | 6408 | 6606 | 7537
4164 | 4593 | 4664 | 4670 | 4672 | 4678 | 4836

They don`t use own resources just like Arriva / First Group / Stagecoach.

As it hassle to use service buses for Rail Replacement. As coaches has Tachograph and Rail Replacement are planned to run on EU regs if Service buses are used you have to have buses that are based within 100km of the start point and they have to run to a timetable and drivers have to stick to that running/duty board.

And if a line went down now you would not find any buses with drivers with running boards.

Rail Replacement is a management / planning thing it very rare to use a sister company.

As it all goes to Tender as you have to get best price and the other units don`t care about other companies as they have to show profit as it still cost them money if they break down and need a tow. and most Rail Replacement if billed to Network Rail.

Also want not well known is Arriva Rail Replacement is owned by the Arriva Rail uk not Arriva Bus. unlike all other companies who have Rail replacement part of a bus unit So Arriva Rail Replacement has no Op Licences so cant run own buses if they hired drivers and buses.

Currently Abello does
Merseyrail
London North Western

And did Northern so have firms ready and waiting on the books.

Deep inside Wales they will have issues but can use CMAC or First for help
(17/10/2020 18:18)Mrboo Wrote:  Currently Abello does
Merseyrail
London North Western

And did Northern so have firms ready and waiting on the books.

Deep inside Wales they will have issues but can use CMAC or First for help

And they have East Midlands railway locally.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)