Current time: 20/04/2024, 14:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

North West Bus Service Changes due to Coronavirus outbreak
RE: North West Bus Service Changes due to Coronavirus outbreak
(19/06/2020 11:00)Mayneway Wrote:  I think they were hoping for a miracle. Certainly doesn’t take 2 months to find another operator.

Remember what happened when GHA collapsed?

Howards were running the 200 and 289 services within a couple of days of GHA ceasing operations.

With the 27 it took longer and initially it was M-F only service operated by High Peak on a commercial basis with very high fares, with a contracted Sat service introduced at a later date operated by Howards and then a contracted M-F service operated by Howards starting once High Peak terminated their commercial service. I'm sure Howards would have been able to run a Mon-Sat contracted service almost straight away but the issue was the council didn't want to pay for it when GHA had been running it on a commercial service, even though GHA had been a loss making business and no sensible operator would have thought a service GHA operated commercially is automatically a profitable route.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
From Boris Johnson's announcement this morning:

"We are making clear that anybody may use public transport, while of course encouraging people to consider alternative means of transport where available"

Instead of telling people to work from home, government will give "more discretion" to employers, which could mean staff going back to workplaces.

From 1 August most leisure settings will reopen as well as close-contact beauty services and indoor performances can restart. Wedding receptions will be allowed for up to 30 people, but nightclubs and soft play areas will remain closed
(17/07/2020 10:50)knutstransport Wrote:  From Boris Johnson's announcement this morning:

"We are making clear that anybody may use public transport, while of course encouraging people to consider alternative means of transport where available"

Instead of telling people to work from home, government will give "more discretion" to employers, which could mean staff going back to workplaces.

From 1 August most leisure settings will reopen as well as close-contact beauty services and indoor performances can restart. Wedding receptions will be allowed for up to 30 people, but nightclubs and soft play areas will remain closed

Even though the government are now giving everyone their blessing to use public transport, the "1 metre plus" social distancing guideline could still restrict capacity in many vehicles.
I may just be going slightly off thread on this one but since the Goverment have now given their blessing for Public Transport to be used more now I wonder how long it will be before a normal timetable including weekends (which are basically hourly on some services wheres during the week they are more frequent) is restored on both Buses and Trains?

I dont see the logic personally of a frequent service during the week and an hourly service at best on Saturdays which is what it is on some services at the moment, people have got to get to work no matter what day of the week it is so why isnt the same weekday service being offered on Saturdays than is operated during the week?
The majority of people who use public transport to and from work do so Monday to Friday. Even on normal schedules many services had less journeys on Saturdays than during the week. Even now many office workers who would be using the bus are still working from home where they can. With fewer people traveling at weekends there's no point running a frequent empty service. When demand picks up then service levels should increase.

(19/07/2020 07:02)M60lad Wrote:  I may just be going slightly off thread on this one but since the Goverment have now given their blessing for Public Transport to be used more now I wonder how long it will be before a normal timetable including weekends (which are basically hourly on some services wheres during the week they are more frequent) is restored on both Buses and Trains?

I dont see the logic personally of a frequent service during the week and an hourly service at best on Saturdays which is what it is on some services at the moment, people have got to get to work no matter what day of the week it is so why isnt the same weekday service being offered on Saturdays than is operated during the week?

Works for me
(19/07/2020 08:20)Rick Hunter Wrote:  The majority of people who use public transport to and from work do so Monday to Friday. Even on normal schedules many services had less journeys on Saturdays than during the week. Even now many office workers who would be using the bus are still working from home where they can. With fewer people traveling at weekends there's no point running a frequent empty service. When demand picks up then service levels should increase.

I think what we'll see in August is some people who usually commute five days a week, instead commuting on selected dates. Some people will be on part time furlough and those who are working full time may still be doing some working from home but bosses will want them to come in on certain days as some things are harder to do over Zoom or can't be done at all remotely. For example, it's easy for emails to be checked remotely but not so easy to check or send out postal mail and having people working from home as the norm means companies are warning of delays in responding due to COVID-19 even where they haven't furloughed any staff.

If there's a bus route mainly serving one large employer than that'll probably mean the loadings are still consistent and at a lower level than usual. If there's hundreds or thousands of employers e.g. in Manchester or Liverpool city centres then loadings may not be that consistent with loads of passengers on some days and not many on others and it may not be easy for employers to do anything to help public transport operators.
Something that I didn't think of but is actually relevant is that this is the sort of time summer timetables come into play because the amount of people using the buses is so vastly reduced. When the kids are off, more people have holidays or work at home because of childcare so this time of year always has vastly reduced passenger numbers compared to the rest of the year.

September I think is when we can compare apples with apples in terms of bus usage unless someone is able to offer 'summer timetables' vs now comparison.
(19/07/2020 13:23)iMarkeh Wrote:  Something that I didn't think of but is actually relevant is that this is the sort of time summer timetables come into play because the amount of people using the buses is so vastly reduced. When the kids are off, more people have holidays or work at home because of childcare so this time of year always has vastly reduced passenger numbers compared to the rest of the year.

September I think is when we can compare apples with apples in terms of bus usage unless someone is able to offer 'summer timetables' vs now comparison.

I think it will be a gradual thing. I don’t see things suddenly picking up in September once the kids are back at school. As I driver I’ve noticed a trickle of an increase in passenger numbers but still nothing like what it was. I honestly think things will remain quiet till Christmas or even into next year.
I see now DNW are having 50% of bus in use. that not 1m
(20/07/2020 14:42)Mrboo Wrote:  I see now DNW are having 50% of bus in use. that not 1m

Capacity has been increased. From what I’ve seen it’s one person per double seat plus 3 on Back seat. Seats over wheel arch not In use nor at front near too drivers cab plus no standing so it’s around 50% capacity.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)