Current time: 24/04/2024, 21:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northern Trains Ltd
RE: Northern Trains Ltd
Reports that rebuilding work will take place at Northwich station next year but Network Rail are saying accessibility improvements won't be possible at the same time as Northwich isn't included in the Access For All scheme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me...e-57472416
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(06/06/2021 14:16)mikestone Wrote:  Yet looking at journey check the other day dozens of trains were 2 cars v 3 cars - why on earth they couldn't have been semi-permanently coupled to 150/2s escapes me.
;

Might not be as easy as you think. Looking at what's currently showing as 2 cars instead of 3:

16:48 Manchester Airport to Liverpool. 195005 is running the service, so not possible to add a 153 on the rear. If you put a 156+153 on that service instead then you'd need to find a 156 diagram which only goes on to lines where 195s are cleared which crews who sign 195s also sign.

16:47 Barrow to Manchester Airport. 156465 is running the service, so you could add a 153 on but is there not a clearance issue with 153s at Wigan?

16:57 Sheffield to Scarborough. 158860 is running the service, so you could add a 153 but the service is timed for 90mph running so adding a 153 might cause performance issues.

The other short formed services appear to be a 319 in lieu of 2 x 331s and single CAF trains instead doubles.
I think the 153 clearance issue is at Wigan Wallgate, not North Western.
(15/06/2021 16:55)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I think the 153 clearance issue is at Wigan Wallgate, not North Western.

I think it is Wallgate now you mention it. There could be issues finding members of staff who sign 153s to work Cumbria services, especially as it involves different drivers and guards from different depots to work one through service.
My argument is that they knew the 195 position and should have continued with 153+156 combinations on the Clitheroe route and delayed the consequential changes.
Class 331s have returned to the Liverpool - Wigan/Blackpool North services after being taken out of service with yaw damper problems.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Northern warning of service reductions on Sunday, which they claim are due to a number of staff self isolating. Funny how they will run a normal Friday and Saturday service but when the football's on their staff will be 'self isolating'.
Pmsl!
(08/07/2021 19:24)knutstransport Wrote:  Northern warning of service reductions on Sunday, which they claim are due to a number of staff self isolating. Funny how they will run a normal Friday and Saturday service but when the football's on their staff will be 'self isolating'.

Northern have been warning of cancellations for the last few weeks although this Sunday does look particularly bad. The Dalesrail service has been a frequent victim of these staff shortages.
(09/07/2021 06:09)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Northern have been warning of cancellations for the last few weeks although this Sunday does look particularly bad. The Dalesrail service has been a frequent victim of these staff shortages.

The real reason for Sunday cancellations is, of course, in the North West Northern rely on crew volunteering to work Sundays as overtime and if staff can't/won't volunteer then there are cancellations.

It was the same on Sunday 27 Dec 2020, crews weren't rushing to volunteer to return to work a day earlier than they needed to.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)