Current time: 18/04/2024, 05:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester bus franchising
RE: Manchester bus franchising
on another note. I can see Stagecoach taking Metrolink Replacement back in-house. As they will now have lots of spare buses at weekends. Wonder if Vision will do the same with their buses.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(23/04/2023 14:20)Mrboo Wrote:  on another note. I can see Stagecoach taking Metrolink Replacement back in-house. As they will now have lots of spare buses at weekends. Wonder if Vision will do the same with their buses.

Drivers employed to work Monday to Friday term time only are not going to want to drive all weekend on tram replacement work. There is still a massive driver shortage which will probably get worse as franchising kicks in.
Prime example being the agency supplying drivers from all over the country to Go Ahead to cover the work Diamond gave up can’t even supply enough drivers to cover the work.
(23/04/2023 14:35)Mayneway Wrote:  Drivers employed to work Monday to Friday term time only are not going to want to drive all weekend on tram replacement work. There is still a massive driver shortage which will probably get worse as franchising kicks in.
Prime example being the agency supplying drivers from all over the country to Go Ahead to cover the work Diamond gave up can’t even supply enough drivers to cover the work.
Does not have to be that way. GAL commercial has over 100 drivers who are on 0hrs and some on PT who do work schools and rail replacement and private hire. lots of the drivers who are on 0hrs are older drivers who only want to do few days a week. Often GAL don't have the spare buses not the drivers for commercial jobs. I had to get 3 deckers at weekend from another depot as needed 25 buses and often the depots get upset when commercial asks for TFL buses.

Now I know Stagecoach don't allow 0hrs so lost lots of drivers due to it. but if you have drivers wanting to be 0hrs let them. Now Stagecoach could keep their full-timers for schools and rail replacement. As I feel they will have issues finding Monday to Friday term time drivers now they could lend from other areas for short term but what happens if Stagecoach loses more depots?
(23/04/2023 21:51)Mrboo Wrote:  Does not have to be that way. GAL commercial has over 100 drivers who are on 0hrs and some on PT who do work schools and rail replacement and private hire. lots of the drivers who are on 0hrs are older drivers who only want to do few days a week. Often GAL don't have the spare buses not the drivers for commercial jobs. I had to get 3 deckers at weekend from another depot as needed 25 buses and often the depots get upset when commercial asks for TFL buses.

Now I know Stagecoach don't allow 0hrs so lost lots of drivers due to it. but if you have drivers wanting to be 0hrs let them. Now Stagecoach could keep their full-timers for schools and rail replacement. As I feel they will have issues finding Monday to Friday term time drivers now they could lend from other areas for short term but what happens if Stagecoach loses more depots?

But your talking about London. This is Manchester where there’s a very big shortage of drivers. I know of several companies including the one I work for who constantly are trying to recruit school bus drivers because the majority of drivers don’t want to do them.
I see that the Wigan francise to be taken over by Go North West covers all the Stagecoach services & also the 362 run by Arriva & also the 635 run by Diamond
Anybody heard any rumours about who will win Queens rd, Middleton & Oldham francises on Friday...the only 1 I have been told is Stagecoach have won Oldham
(20/06/2023 12:43)Michael Wrote:  Anybody heard any rumours about who will win Queens rd, Middleton & Oldham francises on Friday...the only 1 I have been told is Stagecoach have won Oldham

Stagecoach have won all 3 francises Queens rd Middleton & Oldham
(23/06/2023 10:41)Michael Wrote:  Stagecoach have won all 3 francises Queens rd Middleton & Oldham

I have been told Middletons routes will be as now except the 129 415 & rosso R7 will operate out of Middleton.also all the eve/sun services around Oldham will move out
I can see now all 3 depots going to the new Central Park depot. Once ready
That's a shame, I was hoping Go Ahead would hold onto Queens Road.

Any idea when the next tranche is announced, please?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)