Current time: 18/04/2024, 15:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Donation only Open Top Bus Service
Donation only Open Top Bus Service
Admin can you move my post to the nearest relevant one......the subject is a free bus service in southport open top which is free and not for hire and reward.and is a charity.....can passengers be made to pay a donation to the charity but free of fares? If anyone can answer greatly appreciated ..john
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Donation only Open Top Bus Service
I've split it and had a go for a title for this thread - if you can think of a better title let me know and I'll edit it!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
As for the above - I think you can have a tin for donations (as preserved buses often do) but I don't think you can insist on a donation unless it was a properly registered bus service

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
(25/12/2019 23:21)johnluke Wrote:  can passengers be made to pay a donation to the charity but free of fares?

You can say "donations welcome" or "suggested donation of £1 per journey" but if you're operating on a donation basis then people don't have to pay. However, if you say they have to give something then you're charging a fare even if you'd accept a coin of any value as the 'donation' as that's effectively saying we charge a 1p fare but welcome tips. That's really not worth the hassle of all the paperwork with the VOSA for.

What sometimes happens with some heritage bus days is a souvenir program is produced with timetables and details of the buses, probably costing around £1 to print but sold for around £5. It's not mandatory to buy one to get on the bus but as it contains useful and interesting information a number do get sold and each one sold makes a few pounds towards the cost of running the buses.
It’s a catch 22

No you do not have to make a donation but the organisers also don’t have to let you aboard/take part either.
I think voluntary donations are allowed providing it is to an actual registered charity (Merseyside Transport Trust etc). If it was any old person running their bus around for the fun of it and all donations going in their back pocket then it could technically be classed as a 'reward'. When driving my (now ex) bus at running days, or one of my brothers/friends buses, I refuse all donations to avoid any potential problems no matter how unlikely to happen.

I have however ran at running days before with a Clatterbridge Cancer charity tin on the dash as my dad does fundraising for them after the help and support they provided him with his throat cancer a few years back.

Reeces post above is about right, they can't force you to make a donation as it could class as a hire/reward which isn't allowed, but they also don't have to allow you onboard.
If I can post from personal experience here, in 1988, when I was a 9 year old, on holiday with my parents in Skegness, the Ingoldmells market ran a free bus service, using a specially liveried Leyland Atlantean. Although it was free, as the bus neared the market, usually passing Butlins, one man went round with a charity tin, inviting donations. But, that was 31 years ago, and perhaps regulations have changed. I suppose speaking to a lawyer with expertise in this field would be a good idea.
You will need to find if it classed as for Hire or Reward the reward i best to ask your insurer first if taking any money on the bus as may then be classed as reward if it makes more then running costs. and you will need PLI and you may need f driver to hold full PSV and driver qualification card on them

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)