Current time: 28/03/2024, 08:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Concessionary Bus Pass reform
RE: Concessionary Bus Pass reform
TfGM have agreed to no longer offer free off-peak Metrolink and rail travel to GM ENCTS holders from next year. However, they will be able to buy a £10 annual pass.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/...0-16670401
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(01/08/2019 07:37)Barney Wrote:  You are of course correct in suggesting that fraudulent usage of concessionary passes does occur but the question is to what extent. Without presenting any hard evidence you have implied that it it is on a large scale and I would argue that it is a lot less than 1% of all transactions as whenever a card is reported lost, stolen or expires the chip in it is automatically cancelled thus rendering it useless. Also, this thread was started to discuss the issue of the Welsh Assembly's decision to raise the eligibility age from 60 to state pensionable and there is no plan to limit the number of concessionary passes issued based on disability which you seem quite keen on.

Furthermore, you are conflating two unrelated issues in that a MyTicket is NOT a concessionary pass but has to be paid for by the passenger and drivers can and do ask for ID evidence as proof of age.

As for suggesting that a fine should be levied for the misuse of a concessionary pass, the last time I saw an inspector checking tickets the driver called him Blakey.
I wouldn't say large scale but I think the issue might be bigger than it first appears. It probably does work out to be around 1% as it would only really work with disabled passes. The older person pass I don't think would be abused. Probably close to zero abuse for that. It's the disabled passes with people who know the pictures aren't checked and can ask for a friends bus pass and use it. Not theft of passes. The user and owner of the pass both knowing what is going on. As you say, if a pass is stolen, the chip is deactivated and so it's very difficult to do things that way.

There is a lot to be said but the post would end up too long and would then be deleted so as for a fining misusers, I will leave it on the following. Drivers can alert the depot of suspected pass fraud with detailed descriptions (time/location of boarding). The depot gets the concessionary card number via ticket machines and sends all details to the council who can then check the trends with the pass and try to go out and check the pass and user.

The MyTicket thing was in response to L401CJF.
(02/08/2019 19:48)iMarkeh Wrote:  I wouldn't say large scale but I think the issue might be bigger than it first appears. It probably does work out to be around 1% as it would only really work with disabled passes. The older person pass I don't think would be abused.

The MyTicket thing was in response to L401CJF.

Regrettably, by your own admission, like a lot of people do in the current political climate you have highlighted a problem that isn't really a problem. As a very wise former Prime Minister once said: "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth gets a chance to put its pants on."

I say again, the fundamental problem with concessionary passes is the under funding from central government not the principle per se.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)