Current time: 19/04/2024, 08:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester Bus Franchising
RE: Manchester Bus Franchising
Its not as off topic as you might think, TfGM will own much of the infrastructure, if some reports are to be believed, e.g. the construction of ten new bus depots in each local authority area to be owned by TfGM and let to various successful tenderer's, then there is the story that they will be able to pick the type of new buses they want for a specific route no matter what company, e.g. If they want Volvo B5LH's with Wright Gemini bodies for the 50 then that's what the 50 will get, so that's fairly close to doing everything only employing drivers and operating the services and maintaining the buses, TfGM will own and control all the infrastructure. How fanciful that is remains to be seen.

A Corbin Government would change things he would allow Councils and he has already stated that to operate there own buses, obviously there is an opportunity right now to buy all the Manchester services of Arriva and FirstGroup that are for sale in any case, and just franchise others out. That would give substantial proportions of operations in the Borough's of Wigan, Bolton, Salford, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham and Trafford. There is no limit on what I can see a Mayor could ask for, through Council Tax and it would be a one off expense and would save money in the longer term as direct control and operation would be the situation.

On the second point while Boris is control in control now, all that will happen will be another stailmate in parliament and a vote of no confidence will end up being called and a General Election which the Conservative's simply wouldn't get a majority from and also couldn't form any kind of pack with other parties, as all the other parties except the Brexit Party have a leaning to the left, therefore their days are numbered, if they are still here in six months it will be a miracle. I have no political view on it, its just the way it appears to me, I don't care either way what happens.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I'm all for franchises it would work and routes dropped by bus companies reinstated a better joined up system..less routes changes and straight fares
(28/06/2019 09:02)johnluke Wrote:  I'm all for franchises it would work and routes dropped by bus companies reinstated a better joined up system..less routes changes and straight fares

Do you really think they would reinstate all the routes that have been axed in recent years?? I don’t!
I dont mean years ago just recently axed ones like the 519 in Bolton..why should people suffer when the bus company decides to chop it leaving many unable to go to the supermarket or doctors..its shareholder favourable
(24/06/2019 19:30)knutstransport Wrote:  I think there would be too much opposition to literally chopping routes at the boundary. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there are changes - would TfGM want their buses running as far out as Macclesfield and Northwich? Unlikely. Would they object to them running out to Wilmslow? Also unlikely.

Maybe routes that only go a short way across the boundary will be included, such as Stalybridge - Glossop routes, but routes that go further outside Greater Manchester will not, such as Wigan - St Helens? Maybe, routes run by garages in Greater Manchester will be included but those run from garages outside will be exempted.
(26/06/2019 23:45)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Its not as off topic as you might think, TfGM will own much of the infrastructure, if some reports are to be believed, e.g. the construction of ten new bus depots in each local authority area to be owned by TfGM and let to various successful tenderer's, then there is the story that they will be able to pick the type of new buses they want for a specific route no matter what company, e.g. If they want Volvo B5LH's with Wright Gemini bodies for the 50 then that's what the 50 will get, so that's fairly close to doing everything only employing drivers and operating the services and maintaining the buses, TfGM will own and control all the infrastructure. How fanciful that is remains to be seen.

A Corbin Government would change things he would allow Councils and he has already stated that to operate there own buses, obviously there is an opportunity right now to buy all the Manchester services of Arriva and FirstGroup that are for sale in any case, and just franchise others out. That would give substantial proportions of operations in the Borough's of Wigan, Bolton, Salford, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham and Trafford. There is no limit on what I can see a Mayor could ask for, through Council Tax and it would be a one off expense and would save money in the longer term as direct control and operation would be the situation.

On the second point while Boris is control in control now, all that will happen will be another stailmate in parliament and a vote of no confidence will end up being called and a General Election which the Conservative's simply wouldn't get a majority from and also couldn't form any kind of pack with other parties, as all the other parties except the Brexit Party have a leaning to the left, therefore their days are numbered, if they are still here in six months it will be a miracle. I have no political view on it, its just the way it appears to me, I don't care either way what happens.

Unless such new depots are constructed, depending on TfGM finances, or new operators come in using industrial estates for depots of limited sizes, we may well see most routes retained by current operators or swap operators. Leaving aside a big redesign of the bus network, we may for example see Go North West and Stagecoach retain some routes but swap other north Manchester routes (eg route 97 to Stagecoach and 112 to GNW).
(28/06/2019 09:36)johnluke Wrote:  I dont mean years ago just recently axed ones like the 519 in Bolton..why should people suffer when the bus company decides to chop it leaving many unable to go to the supermarket or doctors..its shareholder favourable

Recently of course, they did replace 571,572 and 575 after First gave up so they have good form.
(29/06/2019 10:11)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Maybe, routes run by garages in Greater Manchester will be included but those run from garages outside will be exempted.

Don't think that would work. Otherwise Stagecoach could buy a non-GM operator or relocate one of their depots to the 'wrong side' of the GM boundary and then run whatever routes they want.
(30/06/2019 15:26)knutstransport Wrote:  Don't think that would work. Otherwise Stagecoach could buy a non-GM operator or relocate one of their depots to the 'wrong side' of the GM boundary and then run whatever routes they want.
Service permits maybe like London?
(26/06/2019 23:45)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Its not as off topic as you might think, TfGM will own much of the infrastructure, if some reports are to be believed, e.g. the construction of ten new bus depots in each local authority area to be owned by TfGM and let to various successful tenderer's, then there is the story that they will be able to pick the type of new buses they want for a specific route no matter what company, e.g. If they want Volvo B5LH's with Wright Gemini bodies for the 50 then that's what the 50 will get, so that's fairly close to doing everything only employing drivers and operating the services and maintaining the buses, TfGM will own and control all the infrastructure. How fanciful that is remains to be seen.

Interesting mentioning a Corbyn government, as it would probably need one to get the backing for franchising. Given that the support for the Labour Party is falling massively, they have no chance of forming a government, nor does anyone else for that matter. I doubt if franchising is likely for many years to come. Also the costs involved with Burnham’s plans would be excessive to say the least and I am sure Manchester people would rather fork out cash for other projects and transport improvements. Franchising bus services, building new depots, leasing buses would be way back in the queue fir resources.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)