Current time: 28/03/2024, 23:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Crosville on the Wirral
Crosville on the Wirral
I couldn’t find an existing thread for Crosville, please do move this if nec...

Guys, please can any of you help with a bit of a random Q?

Of the current Arriva network of Wirral services, can any of you remember which originated with Crosville, rather than being exPTE services.

Just curious as to how much Merseybus then Arriva nibbled into areas of the Wirral that historically were Crosville, then First, now Stagecoach.
(Guessing that, if any, will be down to First abandoning)

Hoping some of you guys have a great memory ;-)

Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Crosville on the Wirral
From my own basic knowledge of the Wirral history, I think the Heswall - Birkenhead/Liverpool routes were Crosville until dereg as well as the Liverpool/Birkenhead - Chester and the West Kirkby - Chester routes.
(01/04/2019 20:52)St Helens Rider Wrote:  From my own basic knowledge of the Wirral history, I think the Heswall - Birkenhead/Liverpool routes were Crosville until dereg as well as the Liverpool/Birkenhead - Chester and the West Kirkby - Chester routes.

That's how I remember it. What might surprise a lot of younger readers is that, prior to deregulation in October 1986, very few bus routes were allowed to use the tunnels. From memory the only ones that did were the 31/32 to New Brighton and the hourly (Mon -Sat) Rapidride 418/9 to Heswall that was operated by Crosville. All other Crosville Wirral services terminated at Woodside.
The 437 operates along the original route of Crosville 81 and various other former F routes (F32 I think) which ran Birkenhead/Birkenhead Park - West Kirby

The 487 was historically a Crosville route (F17/18 then 87/88 Birkenhead-Parkgate) which ran via Mount Rd not Kings Rd.
I think the strict answer is only the 487. Heswall used to operate F19 to F24 to Woodside (later 72 etc) and 418/9 to Liverpool via M53. West Kirby operated to Park Station via Upton or Liscard (F32, F34 etc) and also C22/3 Meols to Chester. Rock Ferry Had the Woodside Chester corridor (C1 to C4), North Wales (F9 to 11), F15 to Burton And F17/8 to Parkgate. There was also West Kirby to New Ferry and Clatterbridge areas F40 etc) which I think we're joint WK and RF. Additionally, Heswall had local services F14/16 Neston, F25 Banks Road, and I think F26 Lower Village. WK also did West Kirby Woodside Via Greasby. seasonal services included Heswall to Moreton F48 and dupes on London and North Wales expresses.
I have a few timetable books for Wirral area from mid 70s onwards

F32 was West Kirby-Birkenhead Park Station via current 437 but only operated in the peaks then, F34 was the main service Liscard-Birkenhead Park Station, the F34 had a variation as that went down Column Road & Grange Cross Lane. Orrysdale Road wasn't a through road in those days, as that was taken by more extensive railway sidings than today, & that was site of the old West Kirby Station for the train to Hooton via Heswall, Orrysdale Road through to Grange Road, wasn't completed until the early 80s

F37/F38/F39 Newton-Birkenhead Park Station, they're the 407 apart from Millhouse Lane, Town Meadow Lane, Bermuda Road section

F19/F20/F21 Woodside-Heswall/Cleaver Hospital, there now 472, Arrowe Park Hospital replaced Cleaver Hospital, also 472 has mostly replaced the 418/419 which was Heswall-Liverpool

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(04/04/2019 19:59)MTL0201 Wrote:  I have a few timetable books for Wirral area from mid 70s onwards

F19/F20/F21 Woodside-Heswall/Cleaver Hospital, there now 472, Arrowe Park Hospital replaced Cleaver Hospital, also 472 has mostly replaced the 418/419 which was Heswall-Liverpool

471 originally 71 Heswall via Irby was always Birkenhead Corporation, later MPTE was the only non-Crosville presence in Heswall.

Other regular Crossville Heswall Birkenhead services on Barnston Road by Crossville have all but disapperared.
F22 via Lever Causeway direct to Borough Road (the fastest service from Heswall). F23 via Thingwall and Lower Village, F24 via Thingwall only
There was two variations of the 71 in MPTE days the 71 and 71A
Hey L544, the F22 and F24 were the other way round.. but you're right about the service to Barnston disappearing with the demise of Avon 77.
I believe the 71A variant appeared in the late 50s with the development of housing between Irby and Pensby.
In Birkenhead Corpy days there was also a 71B to Irby or Thingwall Corner. In MPTE days this was one of the last few workings booked for the last four Birkenhead PD2s to and from the Pensby schools.
Always meant to take the time to ride that journey towards the end, but ran out of time, but was lucky enough to be on the farewell tour on 154, before they were prematurely sold to Loftys

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)