Current time: 19/04/2024, 12:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sefton Bus Network Review 2019
Sefton Bus Network Review 2019
New Sefton review now live on Merseytravel's website

https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/about-us...-2019.aspx
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Sefton Bus Network Review 2019
Results of the first round consultation now up. Proposed changes:

Current links and frequencies maintained on the majority of daytime and evening services
• Service 54 to omit Crosby bus station to improve reliability.
• Cumfybus are consulting on two options for services 15/15A. This would see the service cover more of Southport, including Walnut Street and Folkestone Road in Kew. It would also give better links from across Southport to Southport Hospital.
• Service 46A is withdrawn. Frequency of service 46 is increased to every 20 minutes, Monday to Saturday daytime.
• New service 32A introduced to offer a peak service for South and West Maghull to Maghull Station and Westway Square. Service 32/33 hours extended to run of an evening and Sunday
• Peak service 34/34A to be withdrawn due to low usage following the opening of Maghull North station
• 47 to omit Ince Blundell village
• Last two Arriva 53 journeys from Liverpool (22.52 and 23.22) to be extended to Thornton
• Service 144 to operate between Bootle and Pendle Drive only, to improve reliability

Proposed changes to come into place 1st September

More details here:

(07/06/2019 15:47)Walton 46 Wrote:  Results of the first round consultation now up. Proposed changes:

Current links and frequencies maintained on the majority of daytime and evening services
• Service 54 to omit Crosby bus station to improve reliability.
• 47 to omit Ince Blundell village
• Last two Arriva 53 journeys from Liverpool (22.52 and 23.22) to be extended to Thornton
Proposed changes to come into place 1st September

More details here:

It seems to me that that these proposals "to improve reliability" are really intended to reduce services for those who need them most, the elderly and the poor.

Whenever I am at Crosby bus station there is always a number of passengers, particularly shoppers and the elderly, waiting for the 54. If this proposal is confirmed it will inconvenience many people as the nearest stop is several hundred yards away on Liverpool Road.

Also, the proposal for the 47 to omit Ince Blundell will leave an already isolated small hamlet with no public transport provision whatsover in order to shave two minutes off the running time when, in my experience, early running 47s use Ince Blundell as a timing point. It will also mean that this 'local' stopping service will hold the record of having the greatest distance between any two bus stops (The Round House - Formby Lighthouse) of 2.8 miles.

On a positive note, the extension of the last two 53s from Crosby to Thornton is welcome as, currently, the last 54 from the city centre to Thornton (Runnels Lane) is 18.29 and the last 47 (to Quarry Road) is 22.20.
(07/06/2019 20:01)Barney Wrote:  It seems to me that that these proposals "to improve reliability" are really intended to reduce services for those who need them most, the elderly and the poor.

Whenever I am at Crosby bus station there is always a number of passengers, particularly shoppers and the elderly, waiting for the 54. If this proposal is confirmed it will inconvenience many people as the nearest stop is several hundred yards away on Liverpool Road.

Also, the proposal for the 47 to omit Ince Blundell will leave an already isolated small hamlet with no public transport provision whatsover in order to shave two minutes off the running time when, in my experience, early running 47s use Ince Blundell as a timing point. It will also mean that this 'local' stopping service will hold the record of having the greatest distance between any two bus stops (The Round House - Formby Lighthouse) of 2.8 miles.

You never know, if the residents of Ince Blundell make enough noise, Arriva might change their minds.

On the subject of 'reliability', Arriva is also consulting on plans to reroute the 61 during peak hours (operating via Queens Drive instead of Broadgreen Road and a section of Prescot Road) to address the same issue
(07/06/2019 20:40)Walton 46 Wrote:  You never know, if the residents of Ince Blundell make enough noise, Arriva might change their minds.

On the subject of 'reliability', Arriva is also consulting on plans to reroute the 61 during peak hours (operating via Queens Drive instead of Broadgreen Road and a section of Prescot Road) to address the same issue

Old Swan can be a nightmare to get through in the peaks, i have taken 15 minutes on the 10/10A to get from Green Lane to Queens Drive, normally takes 5 minutes on a clear run

Problem with Ince Blundell, the alternative bus stops are not convenient to get to, nearest bus stops are about a mile away south on the A565, next stops north is in Formby.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Further proof that Arriva don’t give a stuff about their passengers.
(08/06/2019 06:29)MTL0201 Wrote:  Old Swan can be a nightmare to get through in the peaks, i have taken 15 minutes on the 10/10A to get from Green Lane to Queens Drive, normally takes 5 minutes on a clear run

Problem with Ince Blundell, the alternative bus stops are not convenient to get to, nearest bus stops are about a mile away south on the A565, next stops north is in Formby.

Just had a look at Google maps, the nearest bus stop south is a 15 minute walk away, by the entrance road to Ince Blundell Hall. Obviously not convenient if you're elderly or disabled
(08/06/2019 08:24)Walton 46 Wrote:  Just had a look at Google maps, the nearest bus stop south is a 15 minute walk away, by the entrance road to Ince Blundell Hall. Obviously not convenient if you're elderly or disabled

Yep looks a fair walk, the 47 was diverted due to roadworks a few months ago avoiding Ince Blundell, that was the nearest stops suggested, a new stop both directions with maybe a layby needs to be built between the traffic lights & Moor Lane if the proposal goes ahead.

(08/06/2019 08:32)MTL0201 Wrote:  Yep looks a fair walk, the 47 was diverted due to roadworks a few months ago avoiding Ince Blundell, that was the nearest stops suggested, a new stop both directions with maybe a layby needs to be built between the traffic lights & Moor Lane if the proposal goes ahead.

There used to be additional stops on the bypass close to the traffic lights at the junction of Orrell Hill Lane by the now demolished Weld Blundell pub. I and several friends used the 47's predecessors (the S2 and later the 284) regularly when we fancied a pint in what was then a small countryside pub. It may also surprise younger members to learn that, in those days, the last bus back to Bootle was just before midnight.
(08/06/2019 08:51)Barney Wrote:  There used to be additional stops on the bypass close to the traffic lights at the junction of Orrell Hill Lane by the now demolished Weld Blundell pub. I and several friends used the 47's predecessors (the S2 and later the 284) regularly when we fancied a pint in what was then a small countryside pub. It may also surprise younger members to learn that, in those days, the last bus back to Bootle was just before midnight.

The last southbound service does feel pretty early the 20.45 from Crossens, although it does form the last northbound 22.10 from Liverpool, then it's the old adage though will putting on an extra couple of late evening services, even if they're terminating short at Crosby then run dead back to depot be profitable?

My old timetables autumn 1977, show the last southbound service was 22.55 from Southport to Liverpool

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)