Current time: 28/03/2024, 23:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Birkenhead & District buses (1994)
Birkenhead & District buses (1994)
In 1994, following MTL's incursions into Greater Manchester, GM Buses South set up Birkenhead & District. From a depot in Birkenhead's docklands, it operated copycat services along MTL's most profitable routes in the Wirral. Can someone tell us what services they operated and the route they took (not just start and finish points)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Birkenhead & District buses (1994)
My memory is a bit hazy around then but from the photos i've seen, looks like most of the B&D routes were short versions of the then full Merseybus routes.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
They mainly ran sections of the 3B & 10A

Don’t think they ever did the full routes just certain sections, Woodside-Liscard, Arrowe Park Hosp-Liscard etc.
(05/02/2019 16:06)DVG526 Wrote:  They mainly ran sections of the 3B & 10A

Don’t think they ever did the full routes just certain sections, Woodside-Liscard, Arrowe Park Hosp-Liscard etc.

Think they did do a couple of full sections, may have done New Brighton-Liverpool 430 to 434, think they did the 64/64A Woodside New Ferry, although think that might have terminated at Boundary Road rather than through to Shorefields.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(26/01/2019 11:11)Walton 46 Wrote:  In 1994, following MTL's incursions into Greater Manchester, GM Buses South set up Birkenhead & District. From a depot in Birkenhead's docklands, it operated copycat services along MTL's most profitable routes in the Wirral. Can someone tell us what services they operated and the route they took (not just start and finish points)

I don't remember the details of the services, but I recall Reserve standard Fleetlines were used, and I did hear a very interesting anecdote from one of the drivers. He said he was driving down one route and saw a woman with a child or baby running towards the bus stop. She signalled half heartedly for the bus to stop but decided she was too far from the stop so slowed down. Nevertheless, the driver stopped and waited and this woman seemed so shocked, she asked him why he stopped; "Merseybus drivers NEVER wait for passengers to reach the stop".
Birkenhead & District started off running:

3B - Arrowe Park Hospital-Liscard Village (With some early morning/lunchtime/evening journeys operates
to/from Seacombe Ferry)
10 - Liscard Village-Woodside-Lower Bebington

on expansion new and extended routes:

10/10A - New Brighton-Liscard-Woodside-Bebington-Clatterbridge Hospital
37A - Birkenhead-Greasby (Mon-Fri off-peak)
431/432/433/434 - New Brighton-Liverpool (Mon-Fri Peak/Saturday daytime)
437 - Greasby-Liverpool (Saturday daytime)

They also opetrated a 26X/27X - Liverpool (Exchange Street East)-Kensington when GM Buses North withdrew 26/26B/27/27B - using GMS Buses.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)