Current time: 19/04/2024, 13:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
I think Merseytravel's timetables are some of the best in the country.

They clearly separate buses, lay out the times in a logical manner, detail the key calling points after the stop that you are at, and contain a load of additional information.

By contract, CWACC's aren't so clear. It was clear to me that the CWACC timetables are automated - they have been done to a very basic standard, and while they work, they could be so much better.

I'd be interested to know how big the team behind timetables is at Merseytravel. I am guessing there are only a couple actually making them, but do Clearchannel distribute new ones as part of their maintenance contract?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Even where timetables were updated by the Monday, they weren't always correct. Those at Little Sutton by where the Black Lion used to be omit the first weekday service at 06:22.
Arriva now have very specific and varying journey times across the day due unpredictable traffic congestion over recent years making it impossible to just say "then every 10 minutes", so it turns into 11 minutes or 12 minutes or 13 minutes then back to 10 and so on, Stagecoach havent followed suit yet and constantly late except the X2 to Southport.

With regards the timetables Merseytravel put them out not Clear Channel
(06/09/2016 20:58)Dentonian Wrote:  As a matter of interest, how many bus stop timetables would be involved in this - notwithstanding staff numbers/overnight access to wherever they are printed/night rates of pay etc?

Over 3000 bus stop timetables to change, according to one notice I saw apologising for the delay in updating them all.
Even if there are 1000s to change, it is hardly a surprise to Merseytravel. They know exactly what needs to be changed and when.

I've just walked down Derby Road in Birkenhead and every stop has its timetable missing - is this the Merseytravel strategy?.. remove and replace later? Would it not be worth Stagecoach printing their own temporary ones and taping them up for the 1 and 2 given that the changes to these services are really quite drastic given the route changes?

It would only take a driver an afternoon on overtime to go around each stop with a load of temporary Stagecoach timetables, surely that's better than nothing or wrong information? If I ran Rock Ferry I'd have done something like this as soon as I found out that Merseytravel hadn't updated the proper timetables.
(08/09/2016 00:02)Enviro400 Wrote:  Even if there are 1000s to change, it is hardly a surprise to Merseytravel. They know exactly what needs to be changed and when.

I've just walked down Derby Road in Birkenhead and every stop has its timetable missing - is this the Merseytravel strategy?.. remove and replace later? Would it not be worth Stagecoach printing their own temporary ones and taping them up for the 1 and 2 given that the changes to these services are really quite drastic given the route changes?

It would only take a driver an afternoon on overtime to go around each stop with a load of temporary Stagecoach timetables, surely that's better than nothing or wrong information? If I ran Rock Ferry I'd have done something like this as soon as I found out that Merseytravel hadn't updated the proper timetables.

Problem 1, Stagecoach don't own the bus stops so can't do that.
Problem 2, drivers are there to drive buses,I doubt the unions would be happy with them being sent out to change timetables.
They don't own bus stops but they surely can't be seen to be doing anything wrong by actually providing a timetable for the public service that they run - it benefits both themselves and the passengers. You'll notice I mentioned the 1 and 2 because this is such a drastic change - not just a timetable adjustment of a few minutes either way of the old times.

I was on the 2 this morning and a few people thought the driver was on a diversion. They didn't do anything until it was evident that the bus was going the complete wrong way to what they'd expected. I'd imagine this is going to continue. Not to mention the flack drivers will get on the 1 between Port Sunlight and Birkenhead for the late running of the 2s - of course passengers will be expecting them to show and when they don't they'll assume they're late. You wouldn't even guess the route now completely by-passes this area.

And why would a driver complain of being offered overtime to do an absolute one-off because Merseytravel can't keep their end of the bargain? Surely they'd see it as an extra few hours pay for running around in a company car to tape temporary timetables up for the benefit of their customers and their employer? If it was a frequent thing and Stagecoach was responsible for timetables then yes they should have their own dedicated staff, but I'd class this as a pretty urgent matter which justifies action.
(08/09/2016 08:12)Enviro400 Wrote:  They don't own bus stops but they surely can't be seen to be doing anything wrong by actually providing a timetable for the public service that they run - it benefits both themselves and the passengers. You'll notice I mentioned the 1 and 2 because this is such a drastic change - not just a timetable adjustment of a few minutes either way of the old times.

I was on the 2 this morning and a few people thought the driver was on a diversion. They didn't do anything until it was evident that the bus was going the complete wrong way to what they'd expected. I'd imagine this is going to continue. Not to mention the flack drivers will get on the 1 between Port Sunlight and Birkenhead for the late running of the 2s - of course passengers will be expecting them to show and when they don't they'll assume they're late. You wouldn't even guess the route now completely by-passes this area.

And why would a driver complain of being offered overtime to do an absolute one-off because Merseytravel can't keep their end of the bargain? Surely they'd see it as an extra few hours pay for running around in a company car to tape temporary timetables up for the benefit of their customers and their employer? If it was a frequent thing and Stagecoach was responsible for timetables then yes they should have their own dedicated staff, but I'd class this as a pretty urgent matter which justifies action.

Because flyposting on Merseytravels property isn't exactly legal...
Flyposting is advertising something in an unauthorised place. I wouldn't class posting a bus timetable in a bus stop unauthorised advertising. Fair enough if they outlined fare prices, but a simple timetable would not be flyposting. Even if it were, it would be justified.
(08/09/2016 10:12)Enviro400 Wrote:  Flyposting is advertising something in an unauthorised place. I wouldn't class posting a bus timetable in a bus stop unauthorised advertising. Fair enough if they outlined fare prices, but a simple timetable would not be flyposting. Even if it were, it would be justified.

But technically still not legal...

User(s) browsing this thread: 10 Guest(s)