Current time: 16/04/2024, 04:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
Problem now is the Government (DfT) wants accurate figures i think of they use of the concessionary passes .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Maybe we need a company to run pass only services then and let the big companies actually collect fares.
(08/09/2015 14:45)Myllenium2453 Wrote:  Maybe we need a company to run pass only services then and let the big companies actually collect fares.

No because that way there is no healthy competition- you're giving the big companies the opportunity to make more money, while forcing the smaller operators to take on subsidised routes.
(08/09/2015 15:54)Enviro400 Wrote:  No because that way there is no healthy competition- you're giving the big companies the opportunity to make more money, while forcing the smaller operators to take on subsidised routes.

Doesn't this already happen!
(08/09/2015 16:23)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  Doesn't this already happen!

As such if you look at the Wirral , Stagecoach and Arriva have the Wirral carved up between them , Avon looks like the operator of what i call the semi commercial services where the routes dont make enough for the big operators but make enough for an independent , then the fully subsidised journeys are operated by whomever is left to pick the pieces up , the one exception to that rule is the 118/119 which are still in the hands of arriva and previous incarnations for the best part of 25+ years .
(09/09/2015 10:14)Dentonian Wrote:  How would that work? Would every journey run by the "big" companies simply be shadowed a "small" company bus. ie. almosrt twice as many buses running as now, carrying the same number of passengers. The motoring lobby would have a field day!

Smart cards are here to stay as we are moving towards a cashless society. They enable the operator and local authority to calculate exactly who and when the concessionary passes are used. Stagecoach has its own Smart cards and the Walrus card here on Merseyside is now being rolled out. In London, all journeys now require all passengers to 'tap in' using either an Oyster card or contactless bank card.

The fundamental problem is that the readers are not fast enough to process the information. Recently, I read a report where one of the major Australian cities demanded - and got - a much quicker processor to speed up boarding.
(09/09/2015 12:18)Barney Wrote:  Smart cards are here to stay as we are moving towards a cashless society. They enable the operator and local authority to calculate exactly who and when the concessionary passes are used. Stagecoach has its own Smart cards and the Walrus card here on Merseyside is now being rolled out. In London, all journeys now require all passengers to 'tap in' using either an Oyster card or contactless bank card.

The fundamental problem is that the readers are not fast enough to process the information. Recently, I read a report where one of the major Australian cities demanded - and got - a much quicker processor to speed up boarding.

The oyster puts us to shame, the scanner is near instant unlike here!

I am no longer active on this forum.
(09/09/2015 14:08)R879 HRF Wrote:  The oyster puts us to shame, the scanner is near instant unlike here!

Yeah but they have had a lot longer to hone the system in the Capital.
(09/09/2015 18:17)Dentonian Wrote:  Plus doubtless, loads more public money for development costs, and they didn't have to contend with dozens of different operators bickering over re-imbursement.

In London, there are 6 operators:- Abellio, Arriva, Comfort Delgro, Go-Ahead, RATP, and Stagecoach, on Merseyside there are only two Arriva and Stagecoach.
34742 is on the 471 tonight!

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)