Current time: 19/04/2024, 20:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
Since the Weather is being kind to us now i dont see why they dont use 28539 in Service again

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(26/03/2015 09:57)bolton bus basher Wrote:  Since the Weather is being kind to us now i dont see why they dont use 28539 in Service again

Well I had to deice my car yesterday morning, so if its out on an early or late turn, bring hat scarf and gloves!

I am no longer active on this forum.
Find all posts by this user
(26/03/2015 10:05)R879 HRF Wrote:  Well I had to deice my car yesterday morning, so if its out on an early or late turn, bring hat scarf and gloves!

Is the fault not repairable or something? Usually only a valve on the heater pump that needs replacing on them.
(26/03/2015 10:29)Shaun821 Wrote:  Is the fault not repairable or something? Usually only a valve on the heater pump that needs replacing on them.

Apparently not

(26/03/2015 11:39)R879 HRF Wrote:  Apparently not

Many years ago a car mechanic told me that anything is repairable, it just depends on how much you are prepared to spend. In this case if the cost of the repair is a four-figure sum it makes economic sense not to repair a bus that is very close to withdrawal. Also, it is unusual for Stagecoach buses not to have efficient saloon heating, something that cannot be said for Arriva's.
28541 had no heating a few months ago and that got repaired, and as you know this isnt even a service bus.
(26/03/2015 12:49)Barney Wrote:  I repeat my earlier comment: it depends on the cost. The same principle applies to a domestic boiler. If the repair is likely to only cost £100 it will be done, if it is likely to cost £1000 the sensible thing would be to scrap it before the next winter. As a matter of interest, how old is 28539, fifteen years? Barnsley beckons!
Them Scanias are monsters. I know 28540 had clocked up well over 1million miles and still going strong. Quick off the mark and doesnt take long getting upto 56mph. Not sure the mileage on 28541 but thats still going strong as well. They definately still have a few years left in them. Built to last and thats what they are doing.
Agreed, Scania wrights arnt best known for their heating systems, tger saloon heat is overly complex unreliable electronic system, which is a pain and costly. 28541 has been converted to trainer so clearly has a longer life with stagecoach than 28539. Id imagine 28541 has been fixed because its actually beneficial whereas 28539 hasn't got long left so investment isn't worthwhile.

Saloon heating was never a priority with First. The standard system that it specified on buses from the Scania period was, as posted, a bizarre and vastly over-complicated one to say the least and partially subscribed to the Leyland National law of physics that hot air sinks... however, the other issue with Scanias is that the nine- and eleven-litre engines in bus applications were not likely to produce enough waste heat to keep the saloon at a comfortable temperature in sub-zero weather.

The obvious solution for the bus in question would be to remove the whole heating system from the coolant valve onwards and replace it with new. But by the time that's been done and the cost of new equipment and man hours has been weighed up it would no doubt be more than the bus is worth, so why bother?

User(s) browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)