Current time: 28/03/2024, 18:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Prescot Road Reds
Prescot Road Reds
Back in the late 50s or early 60s I was always fascinated by the reds on Prescot Rd. They went to interesting far off places like Wigan and St. Helens and Manchester for gods sake. LUT, Ribble, North Western, St Helens Corp and Wigan Corp. However there is one I distinctly remember but cant reconcile. I saw on occasions Northern Titan deckers, presumably heading up to the North East. Long way on a Titan (especially when the then Trans Pennine Express MUs where starting to provide an alternative). Any ideas or knowledge out there to stop this nagging away in my head? Huh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Prescot Road Reds
The old companies before they merged to become NBC, had quite a lot of inter city express services, mostly joint services, this is way before the M62 was built, so could have been on one of those you saw.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(05/07/2018 11:34)MTL0201 Wrote:  The old companies before they merged to become NBC, had quite a lot of inter city express services, mostly joint services, this is way before the M62 was built, so could have been on one of those you saw.

Yeah I guess it must have been. I'd like to find out more about the vehicles on that route Computer
Yep, one route to Manchester, before the M62 was built would have been the A57 through Prescot if they were calling at Warrington, the direct route in those days would have been straight down the East Lancs Road.

(10/07/2018 18:58)MTL0201 Wrote:  Yep, one route to Manchester, before the M62 was built would have been the A57 through Prescot if they were calling at Warrington, the direct route in those days would have been straight down the East Lancs Road.

Roughly from memory there was a 39 to Manchester,317 to St Helens. 320 to Wigan,all joint services ,LUT/Ribble/St Helens/Wigan until the mid 70s,also a few Crosville Routes to Rainhill and Warrington
(12/07/2018 19:57)FC Pictures Wrote:  Roughly from memory there was a 39 to Manchester,317 to St Helens. 320 to Wigan,all joint services ,LUT/Ribble/St Helens/Wigan until the mid 70s,also a few Crosville Routes to Rainhill and Warrington

I know that, the op is on about the old Northern General of Gateshead, & buses that went further than Manchester.

(12/07/2018 22:27)MTL0201 Wrote:  I know that, the op is on about the old Northern General of Gateshead, & buses that went further than Manchester.

Thinking about it now the (BR) Transpennine Express DMUs were coming on stream about that time serving North Yorks and Newcastle whic I guess would have made bus services across the pennines pretty redundant especially as the M62 was undreamed of then. Imagine going to Newcastle from Liverpool on a PD2 even with full heating and coach seating!
The Tyne-Tees-Mersey services numbered X97 and X99 ran via Prescot to Warrington, one then ran via Eccles and one via Lymm to Manchester. Boarding restrictions meant that you could not travel locally Liverpool-Warrington or Manchester-Warrington.

Double-deckers were only permitted for duplication between Liverpool and Manchester (North Western and LUT) and it was the late 60s before they were allowed between Manchester and Leeds.
(28/07/2018 08:39)enrag2000 Wrote:  The Tyne-Tees-Mersey services numbered X97 and X99 ran via Prescot to Warrington, one then ran via Eccles and one via Lymm to Manchester. Boarding restrictions meant that you could not travel locally Liverpool-Warrington or Manchester-Warrington.

Double-deckers were only permitted for duplication between Liverpool and Manchester (North Western and LUT) and it was the late 60s before they were allowed between Manchester and Leeds.

Yes thanks I remember using the Northwestern Alexander coaches. I'm still no wiser about the dark red Northern Titans thoughHuh

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)