Current time: 16/04/2024, 16:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva Click Coming To Merseyside
RE: Arriva Click Coming To Merseyside
(05/11/2019 16:16)iMarkeh Wrote:  Let's be honest, they don't really need assault screens. Destination screens do show the bus number but nothing a bit of paper in the window couldn't solve.
I know they aren't low floor, all you do then is ask for people to specify wheelchair accessible vehicle upon booking.

The 5 buses (plus 2 EVM low floor models) wouldn't make a huge improvement to the zone but it must be able to help increase it a small bit. Surely you could get Hale, Belle Vale and Childwall in with 5 (or 7) minibuses.

The assault screens are union requirement!
A piece of paper in the window doesn’t do anything for the image
People specify wheelchair access now
5 buses in Kent may also be shared with Leicester, possibly even making use of them as training buses until the lease expires.
Where are you getting the other 2 EVM models from?
The increase of the zone incurs development costs plus they would need to consider whether these areas have demand.

For now it’s best to concentrate on making the current area as efficient as possible before carrying over any issues to an expanded zone.
Expansion will follow but need to consider best areas to serve and do a big expansion to keep costs down. This might require a bigger fleet than at present.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(06/11/2019 20:28)The Falcon Wrote:  Where are you getting the other 2 EVM models from?

Didn't they have RF68 FME and FMJ in addition to the RA66 batch? Or are they elsewhere now?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(06/11/2019 20:28)The Falcon Wrote:  The assault screens are union requirement!
A piece of paper in the window doesn’t do anything for the image
People specify wheelchair access now
5 buses in Kent may also be shared with Leicester, possibly even making use of them as training buses until the lease expires.
Where are you getting the other 2 EVM models from?
The increase of the zone incurs development costs plus they would need to consider whether these areas have demand.

For now it’s best to concentrate on making the current area as efficient as possible before carrying over any issues to an expanded zone.
Expansion will follow but need to consider best areas to serve and do a big expansion to keep costs down. This might require a bigger fleet than at present.
Assault are a Click union agreement? It makes sense for the main service buses but not Click....
Don't have paper in the window and just run the exact same as Sheerness with no numbers being shown.
If people already specify wheelchair access, you can simply just not give people these step entrance minibuses!
According to ukbuses fleet list, there are 2 EVM models which are the ones Quackdave has named.
As for development costs, how hard can it be to expand zones slightly, it's just increasing the zone size. The rest is all AI based really.
(07/11/2019 22:31)iMarkeh Wrote:  Assault are a Click union agreement? It makes sense for the main service buses but not Click....
Don't have paper in the window and just run the exact same as Sheerness with no numbers being shown.
If people already specify wheelchair access, you can simply just not give people these step entrance minibuses!
According to ukbuses fleet list, there are 2 EVM models which are the ones Quackdave has named.
As for development costs, how hard can it be to expand zones slightly, it's just increasing the zone size. The rest is all AI based really.

The 2 EVM buses in Kent one has already been transferred to Leicester as a spare with the second following for now but will be moving elsewhere in the new year.

Kent didn’t have destinations but the new spec is a requirement

Assault screens aren’t needed? But unions in Liverpool require them despite drivers not wanting them

There is a cost involved in even the slightest change to the zone as it’s not as simple as just expanding. The system is managed by Via not Arriva so costs are incurred.

If it was as simple as it sounds if would have been done.
In regards to previous posts suggesting having some of the spare buses from elsewhere as training vehicles - this isnt necessary as the click training is 'on the job' - You are shown how to use the tablet and then go out in a group with an instructor in service on a click bus and pick up real passengers with real bookings. It is the only way to see how the system works in real life so a training vehicle would be useless.

(07/11/2019 22:31)iMarkeh Wrote:  If people already specify wheelchair access, you can simply just not give people these step entrance minibuses!
I was given a quick insight into how click works on a training course. When somebody starts to make a booking it automatically works out which vehicles are closest and heading in a similar direction to that of the new booking, and prepares to detour the bus mid route to make that pickup - if the booking is not made then the variation is scrapped and the bus continues on the current route - it isn't as simple as sending one of the step free buses in the event of somebody requesting buggy or wheelchair access because the only bus in the area heading in the right direction might be a step entrance one - the app would then be unable to use this and have to direct another bus from the complete opposite end of the area which otherwise wouldnt be heading that way and defeats the whole object of the click system. The whole point is to zig zag picking up multiple people heading to and from a similar area whilst not taking huge detours.

(08/11/2019 00:04)The Falcon Wrote:  Assault screens aren’t needed? But unions in Liverpool require them despite drivers not wanting them
Not quite related but its recently been announced by Arriva that all assault screens are to be screwed shut nationwide much to the annoyance of drivers and the union. So far though, I have only seen Birkenhead buses with any screwed down.
(08/11/2019 10:45)L401CJF Wrote:  In regards to previous posts suggesting having some of the spare buses from elsewhere as training vehicles - this isnt necessary as the click training is 'on the job' - You are shown how to use the tablet and then go out in a group with an instructor in service on a click bus and pick up real passengers with real bookings. It is the only way to see how the system works in real life so a training vehicle would be useless.

I was given a quick insight into how click works on a training course. When somebody starts to make a booking it automatically works out which vehicles are closest and heading in a similar direction to that of the new booking, and prepares to detour the bus mid route to make that pickup - if the booking is not made then the variation is scrapped and the bus continues on the current route - it isn't as simple as sending one of the step free buses in the event of somebody requesting buggy or wheelchair access because the only bus in the area heading in the right direction might be a step entrance one - the app would then be unable to use this and have to direct another bus from the complete opposite end of the area which otherwise wouldnt be heading that way and defeats the whole object of the click system. The whole point is to zig zag picking up multiple people heading to and from a similar area whilst not taking huge detours.

Not quite related but its recently been announced by Arriva that all assault screens are to be screwed shut nationwide much to the annoyance of drivers and the union. So far though, I have only seen Birkenhead buses with any screwed down.

You are missing the point the drivers need to be trained first to gain their D1 licence. All new click drivers are trained for minibus licence. Further training is then required before they go into service.

Being close to the operation I’m happy to clarify anything if needed.
Also the insight into the training is just that an insight. The training starts when they leave the school and future training is going to be tailored specifically for Click following review and feedback of past trainees.
(08/11/2019 22:22)The Falcon Wrote:  You are missing the point the drivers need to be trained first to gain their D1 licence. All new click drivers are trained for minibus licence. Further training is then required before they go into service.

Being close to the operation I’m happy to clarify anything if needed.
Also the insight into the training is just that an insight. The training starts when they leave the school and future training is going to be tailored specifically for Click following review and feedback of past trainees.

In merseyside I thought all click drivers have full class bus licence and are trained on a full size bus.
(09/11/2019 11:57)motormayhem1 Wrote:  In merseyside I thought all click drivers have full class bus licence and are trained on a full size bus.

I thought this also.

An insight is an insight yes, I didn't do the full training, just a one day for relief role. I'm a Birkenhead driver.
(09/11/2019 11:57)motormayhem1 Wrote:  In merseyside I thought all click drivers have full class bus licence and are trained on a full size bus.

They did get full license but from May all new click drivers get D1. This was to speed up the process of training from 3 weeks in the school to 1 week.

Click drivers have to remain for 12 months before they can apply for Bus if they want to. However not sure process for those on D1 going forward.

A 1 day course wouldn’t give much insight into how things work especially when training was likely to be delivered by a trainer from bus.
With the launch of ArrivaClick in Watford in March there will be some vehicle movements with 4 of Kent’s buses coming to Liverpool and 4 of Liverpool’s going to Watford. In additional possible the 2 buses in Liverpool on loan from Leicester will be transferred too as the Watford contract specified low floor.

When I know which vehicles and from which depot I will update.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)