Current time: 16/04/2024, 17:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lancashire United Transport
Lancashire United Transport
I've come across a 1975 network map, may be one of the last LUT published maps before the takeover by GMPTE, interesting to see the network then.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jp4712/299...otostream/

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Lancashire United Transport
(16/06/2018 12:03)MTL0201 Wrote:  I've come across a 1975 network map, may be one of the last LUT published maps before the takeover by GMPTE, interesting to see the network then.

Yep it was a great network which I used a lot in the late 60s. Letting GMPTE made no sense and was the beginning of the end of some excellent services
I remember when LUT had a depot in Liverpool in Bentley Road, near Sefton Park, which had a couple of double-deckers for duplicates on the 320 and a few coaches for the Tyne Tees Mersey expresses. The staff were mainly ex-Ribble. There was an office at the coach terminus in Canning Place.
I often travelled on the last service back from Manchester. The official route into Liverpool was via Hope Street and Upper Duke Street, but the conductor would ask the passengers where they were going to and usually we would continue down Brownlow Hill and everyone would get off by the side of the Adelphi, much more convenient than Canning Place! The coach could then turn left and head straight back to Bentley Road.
The depot closed in the mid sixties and LUT asked Ribble if they could outstation them but the only depot with spare capacity was Aintree which was a bit far out, so Liverpool Corporation accommodated them at Edge Lane. The arrangement did not last very long with the exchange of routes between GMPTE and NBC when there was no longer a need for a depot in Liverpool.
(23/06/2018 20:31)L80 Wrote:  Yep it was a great network which I used a lot in the late 60s. Letting GMPTE made no sense and was the beginning of the end of some excellent services

It did make sense GMPTE taking over LUT, GMPTE was a natural competetor to LUT after the expantion of SELNEC to GMPTE, it would only have been a matter of time before LUT got brought out by someone else if it wasn't GMPTE anyway.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(24/06/2018 11:11)MTL0201 Wrote:  It did make sense GMPTE taking over LUT, GMPTE was a natural competetor to LUT after the expantion of SELNEC to GMPTE, it would only have been a matter of time before LUT got brought out by someone else if it wasn't GMPTE anyway.

LUT passed to SELNEC almost immediately but kept its own identity until the "birth" of GMT. This was because as I remember there were big differences in employment terms and conditions as well a standardisation issues around rolling stock.
There was plenty of LUT activity which was west of the GM boundary also eg: around the Newton le Willows "hub".
Also the LUT stock looked rubbish in orange.Dodgy
(16/06/2018 12:03)MTL0201 Wrote:  I've come across a 1975 network map, may be one of the last LUT published maps before the takeover by GMPTE, interesting to see the network then.

Really interesting. I "lost touch" with LUT about 73. I see that Arpley Station bus station was still in use at Warrington although most LUT services were using the Bay Horse lay-by near Central Station. Also there is no mention of the 79 Longford-Woolston service which was joint with Warrington Corp. Wonder when that went?
(27/07/2018 21:52)L80 Wrote:  Really interesting. I "lost touch" with LUT about 73. I see that Arpley Station bus station was still in use at Warrington although most LUT services were using the Bay Horse lay-by near Central Station. Also there is no mention of the 79 Longford-Woolston service which was joint with Warrington Corp. Wonder when that went?

I seem to recall that LUT's share of the 79 went to Crosville in the NBC/SELNEC route exchanges in 1974.
(28/07/2018 08:50)enrag2000 Wrote:  I seem to recall that LUT's share of the 79 went to Crosville in the NBC/SELNEC route exchanges in 1974.

Yeah that makes sense
My Dad (now deceased) grew up in the Leigh area when LUT were operating. He always said at one time the conductors only sold you a ticket to the council boundary, if you stayed on then you had to buy a second ticket after it crossed the council boundary!
(30/07/2018 13:55)knutstransport Wrote:  My Dad (now deceased) grew up in the Leigh area when LUT were operating. He always said at one time the conductors only sold you a ticket to the council boundary, if you stayed on then you had to buy a second ticket after it crossed the council boundary!

In my time (60s) the services through/to Leigh were joint LUT/Leigh Corp, certainly 57,47, 59(Bolton Corp) and I think the 54. The 50/51/52 (not 39) were on the transfer through ticket system at Newton. I didn't do Leigh much but daily Wigan, Warrington, and often to St.Helens. LUT was generally straight forward alighting only (inbound) and minimum fare to boundary (outbound or cross town).

T think it might have been more complex in earlier times when there where semi-competing tram and trolley bus services which included more operators such as St Helens and Bolton.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)