Current time: 24/04/2024, 09:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West DLPs & VLWs
RE: Arriva North West DLPs & VLWs
(29/10/2017 13:02)Robas Wrote:  I also think emissions standards are having a lot to do with the London Bus cascade policy. The vehicles currently being withdrawn in London by Arriva are predominantly Euro 3 compliant - and are generally 11 to 14 years old.

With the general aim of improving air quality, especially in the larger towns and cities (such as Liverpool), spending money on refurbishment and conversion to single door of these older, less fuel efficient vehicles, just to replace existing slightly older Euro 3 vehicles, may not be an attractive proposition. Hence the cascades have stopped for now.

New London contracts generally specify new Hybrid, Euro 6 or even electric only vehicles (or cascades of other clean emission vehicles made surplus from the loss of a tender). This policy is quite quickly removing older Euro 3 vehicles from the capital. Additionally, some modern Euro 5 vehicles are now being converted to Euro 6, as by Sep 2020 only buses that meet the Euro 6 spec will be allowed to operate in the Low Emission Zone.

Therefore, only once Euro 3s are eliminated, does it seem the possible for cascades/refurbishments re-starting. An early candidate, for example could be the first 08 plate Enviro 400/Tridents, which I believe are Euro 4.

I was interested in your comments regarding cities like Liverpool striving to improve air quality, rendering cascades of midlife buses likely to be rare.

What you say about London is pretty accurate too. Admittedly some tenders are being renewed with older buses, most notably in outer London. A case in point is Arriva commencing new tender terms on routes 66, 103 & 175 in Romford with 2009-vintage Geminis. It is commonplace for operators including Arriva to allocate newer buses to central & inner London routes and cascade older buses to outer areas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
4180 and 4181 seen today laird st depot
Brickbus 4204 is out and about on rail replacement between Maghull and Ormskirk today. Trains on this line are currently starting and terminating at Maghull due to power supply problems.
4170 is out on 410 from Birkenhead.
Macclesfield have this week got president 4162 on loan which is running the 130 duty.
4170 out today on the 492 birkenhead
4170 was out today on the 495 Birkenhead

4204 the brick bus out on the 408's !
4170 out on the 432/437 today. Liverpool bound from Liscard at 11:15.
4204 brickbus out on 411/410

4166 on the 418 !!
4164 and 4165 still going strong out of Wythenshawe and are both on the 18 today.

---
Thanks
Ant

Check out my YouTube Channel updated regularly at 18:00 Most Days;
https://www.youtube.com/c/apdmediatransp...nel/videos

Check out my content on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/envirohunter
https://www.flickr.com/photos/envirohunter/albums

Updated recently with a trip down to the South Coast in 2021 & Railway Pictures from 2017.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)