Current time: 28/03/2024, 23:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Old Bus Routes Wirral
RE: Old Bus Routes Wirral
Back in 1983 there were 3 variations of the 85 route they were the 85/85A/85C
The 85 ran from EASTHAM FERRY via Clatterbridge,Thornton Hough,Heswall,Irby,Greasby to WEST KIRBY
The 85A ran from EASTHAM FERRY via Clatterbridge,Raby,Thornton Hough,Heswall,Irby,Greasby to WEST KIRBY
The 85C ran from NEW FERRY via Clatterbridge,Thornton Hough,Heswall,Irby,Greasby,West Kirby,Hoylake to MEOLS
And to think you could have gone from start to finish for the princely sum of 25p for and adult and 13p for a child so a family of 2 parents and 2 kids could get to West Kirby for less than a quid would hate to think how much it would cost them today if they paid on each individual bus thank god for day tickets,family tickets etc
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
THe 85A i'm sure was two journeys in each direction.

What was the frequency of the 85C because i definitely can not remember that route .
I am not sure what the frequency of the 85C was but it definitely ran as it was included in the 1983 faretable for Merseyside Transport
Hi, new member here, I remember the old Wallasey Corporation bus services in the 1970s, the old open-platform buses and the newer Atlanteans coming in. The number 16 to Liscard from where I lived in Seacombe or the number 1 along Seabank Road to my mate's house in new Brighton. Loved riding on the platform of the old buses as we came to my stop, especially on rainy days when you could hear the 'hiss' of the tyres on the wet road. And of course always jumped off just before the bus actually stopped, even though you weren't supposed to. But in those days it was on your own head if you go hurt!

Also the Birkenhead Corporation number 12 from Seacombe to Charing Cross - it was rare to get across Duke Street bridge without having to wait for a ship to go through or without being stuck behind a goods train.

Happy days!
85C was journeys around visiting hours at Clatterbridge Hospital.

Just to add 38/39 circulars were introduced in December 1985, 38/39 replaced the 82 Woodside-West Kirby via Upton, 28 West Kirby-Birkenhead, 21 Moreton-Woodside 38/39 operated Mon Sat daytime only.
37A was introduced Eve & Sun this was New Brighton-Woodside but via the 38/39 from Moreton-Woodside
37 was an all day service New Brighton-Woodside via West Kirby, complemented Eve & Sun by the 37A

I have full timetables for these routes from summer 86

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
I do recall after dereg, the 37, 38 & 39 running to similar routes under Merseybus, only difference being that the 37 stayed the same route all week with no evening/Sunday variety. Does anyone know what date the 37 was cut back to West Kirkby? I remember the short lived competing service 37A from Crosville which ran through to Liverpool.
Think it was early 1989 when the 37 was cut to West Kirby-Woodside & given a daytime frequency increase, i do remember the Crosville 37A think Merseybus responded by introducing the 437.

There was a Merseybus 39 West Kirby-Woodside after D-Reg, which was then diverted to Liverpool & renumbered 439, before being renumbered to 339 as Merseybus already had a 439 in Liverpool these were only short lived, then RedRider took over the 38/39

The early 89 changes saw the 3/3A/4/5/7/7A/8/8A/8E, amongst others introduced renumbered from 33/36/44/45 with 35 withdrawn & 37 cut to West Kirby Woodside, 3B was introduced think later that year when the 4 & 5 had the daytime service withdrawn, i'm amazed the 4 & 5 lasted that long after that only withdrawn after Arriva brought MTL, 4 & 5 mostly carried fresh air.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
The 3A was the equivalent of the 423 but just Seacombe Ferry - Birkenhead Woodside , that was when Birkenhead Woodside was a useful place to pick up bus services , something that you cant say it is now .

Was the 3B the daytime service that went via Liscard instead of Breck Road / Poulton Road
(06/08/2017 17:22)wirralbus Wrote:  The 3A was the equivalent of the 423 but just Seacombe Ferry - Birkenhead Woodside , that was when Birkenhead Woodside was a useful place to pick up bus services , something that you cant say it is now .

Was the 3B the daytime service that went via Liscard instead of Breck Road / Poulton Road

My memory of the '3' was

3 now 403
3A now 413
3B was a short 3 or 3A to Moreton
3C was a Seacombe to Cadburys short Journey

33B was the current 423

But that was just before the renumbering to 4**
(07/08/2017 04:11)E208 WBG Wrote:  My memory of the '3' was

3 now 403
3A now 413
3B was a short 3 or 3A to Moreton
3C was a Seacombe to Cadburys short Journey

33B was the current 423

But that was just before the renumbering to 4**

If my memory is right the 3A was the Eves/Sun service (as current 423 to Birkenhead) and the 3B was the daytime service, equivalent to the current 413.

The 33B/34B was a circular service that was introduced for a period (not sure on the dates) that linked Seacombe to Woodside over Tower Bridge and then followed the current 413 route back to Seacombe. My memory is a bit hazy, I would have only been about 8 or 9 at the time, so I'm unsure if this was as well as the 3B or instead of, perhaps fellow members could clarify?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)