Current time: 19/04/2024, 18:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Police getting on buses
Police getting on buses
It's common to see uniformed police getting on buses in Greater Manchester and I've noticed they are able to get on for free understandably so.

But is this down to bus company/tfgm policy or just goodwill from the driver? I hope it's both to be honest.

Same goes for drivers of rival companies, is that like a comradery thing aka good will or company/tfgm policy?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Police getting on buses
In Liverpool at least we let them on free - there is even an option on the ticket machines at my depot to press to count that you let them on!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
Stagecoach and First are members of the Travelsafe Partnership. Police officers assigned to the partnership patrol Metrolink as well as buses and work with the partnership to target anti-social behaviour and fare evasion.
(18/05/2017 17:38)urmstonian Wrote:  Stagecoach and First are members of the Travelsafe Partnership. Police officers assigned to the partnership patrol Metrolink as well as buses and work with the partnership to target anti-social behaviour and fare evasion.

Arriva are part of the travelsafe partnership as in merseyside they have a special group of p.c.s.o's who are allocated to travelling on the buses and when there is an incident we have to fill in a travelsafe form.
Staff travel on each companies veichles is an agreement between each company as i know arriva , first and stagecoach can be used on each others buses.
The other one for arriva is network warrington whos can be used but most of st helens depots drivers will tend to allow any companies staff passes to be used just a gentleman's agreement kind of thing.
(18/05/2017 19:28)Dentonian Wrote:  Where do you travel?

PCSOs are regularly on the 20 Earlestown-Blackbrook in St Helens. Very rarely do I see any on other routes and I've never seen the not wanting to catch a bus apart from two PCs at Liverpool One on Saturday. They didn't appear to be attending to a call.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(18/05/2017 19:39)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Staff travel on each companies veichles is an agreement between each company as i know arriva , first and stagecoach can be used on each others buses.
The other one for arriva is network warrington whos can be used but most of st helens depots drivers will tend to allow any companies staff passes to be used just a gentleman's agreement kind of thing.

Definitely the case between Arriva and Stagecoach locally regarding staff passes, in that we accept each others, we even have notices at Gillmoss advising of the new designs of Arriva passes!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
The official stance that I recall from my time at ScM was that officers were allowed on for free, as long as they show their warrant card and were in uniform.

As for rival bus companies, it is down to reciprocal agreements between companies (such as First/Stagecoach), although informal local agreements may occur. Often, drivers will allow staff of other companies on as a courtesy.
Merseyside Police and Merseytravel have an agreement whereby warranted Police officers can travel on public transport for free, whether on duty or not. They use their warrant card as a bus pass essentially. It's partly to give something back to the officers for their public service, and partly as security for the bus, train or ferry that they're travelling on, as it's illegal for a warranted officer to ignore illegal activity even when off duty.
It's technically anything, but at their own discretion. It's not worth time or resources to go after somebody doing something minor that isn't harming anybody, for instance.

It'll be useful for eventualities where people kick off on the bus either at the driver or other passengers. Rare occurrences thankfully, but by increasing the likelihood of police presence, it keeps vehicles, staff and passengers that bit safer

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)