Current time: 19/04/2024, 04:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Leave or Remain?
This poll is closed.
Leave 31.25% 5 31.25%
Remain 68.75% 11 68.75%
Total 16 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The EU Referendum - Leave or Remain?
RE: The EU Referendum - Leave or Remain?
While driving home from work tonight I was thinking about today and how in years to come people will talk about today and it will become a big part of our history but it got me thinking. If the remain and leave campaigns hadn't taken a polital stance and if all politicians been forced to sit on the fence and not declare thier own personal or polital views would we have the same outcome today??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(25/06/2016 19:59)Dentonian Wrote:  Interesting point. On the plus side, we would not have had the lies, propoganda and emotional blackmail from Brexit. I can't comment on whether Remain also lied, as they didn't present statistics (false or otherwise), and I made my mind up very early on the subject. Another point is that (irrelevant of the large turnout) such a tiny majority in an Industrial Dispute Vote would NOT have been democratically acceptable by the very same Government that called this Referendum. Irrelevant of the result, I have been very surprised with the areas of Britain that voted Leave and those that voted to stay. Apart from Scotland, Manchester & Liverpool (Remain) and Essex and Salford (Leave), none of them made sense to me.
I also think we are entering a very dangerous part of our history. There have been a lot of foul mouthed insults and threats made by Brexiteers on the MEN website, and it looks like it has opened up a hornets nest of neo-fascism. I understand one Fleet Street fascist of foreign ancestry has called for London to rejoin the EU and to stop subsidising the rest of Britain! This propoganda is of course, far worse, than anything Brexit said - not least because it will be unchallenged.

Perhaps the brexiters are angry that some of the very reasons why they ticked the leave box are attually starting to unravel as nothing but propaganda. Fararge has already shot himself in the foot over the NHS.
There is a petition on the Parliament website calling for a second EU referendum, the conditions of which include that the winning side achieves at least 60% of the Vote. Apparently it has already gained over 2 Million signatures. The rules are that if a petition reaches 100.00, then parliament has to debate it.
(25/06/2016 20:49)St Helens Rider Wrote:  There is a petition on the Parliament website calling for a second EU referendum, the conditions of which include that the winning side achieves at least 60% of the Vote. Apparently it has already gained over 2 Million signatures. The rules are that if a petition reaches 100.00, then parliament has to debate it.

Even though in the end I voted to remain I do think it's a case of trying to move goal posts once the game is over, we need to accept the result and move forward.

I think the problem with the petition is it can be signed by anyone. I know a lot of non uk citizens ie migrants who have lived in the uk for a number of years but havevt claimed uk citizenship were excluded from the vote yet are appauld by the result and have signed the petition.
Another thing to remember is that the favourite for the PM and Conservative Leadership job Theresa May has said that that even though she was in the remain camp she will go with the settled will of the country and will start the process for A50.
I think I have said elsewhere that I also favoured Remaining in the EU, and campaigned and voted accordingly.

I am saddened that just over half of England & Wales have said to other Europeans "It's our country not yours" just over a year after half the Scots said the same thing to other Brits at last year's General Election, as demonstrated by all the SNP seat gains.

As a result, I am cutting back on my bus & train enthusiast travels in areas that voted Leave, and restricting Scotland to their least nationalistic city, namely Edinburgh.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)