Current time: 29/03/2024, 08:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Buses in the US
Buses in the US
So I have been travelling around the West coast of the US for a couple of weeks now and I cannot believe how terrible the local bus services are in terms of lack of consistency & lack of accessibility. God help you if you are disabled or a parent with a buggy - a large number of buses still use step-entrances and even newer vehicles introduced into service within the last 5 years still do not have wheelchair accessible entrances. Those that do have low-access have tiny doors and thin gangways, with drivers who have literally no interaction with the passengers whatsoever. People regularly bunk on without paying and the driver does & says nothing.

I am so thankful for our public transport regulations in the UK now - it really is fascinating to see what they get away with over here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Buses in the US
I visited Orlando,FL back in 2014. Staying on international drive I didn't use the local 'Lynx' buses however did use the I-Ride trolley. The buses very unusual, based on an old tram trolley design, and had about 3 steps to get on. They do however have a door half way down with a lift for disabled access. Unfortunately somebody in a chair did wish to get on and no word of a lie it took just under 10 minutes to load them on, strap the chair in etc and they only went 3 stops!

Staff where very helpful however being a tourism route rather than urban it's no surprise!

One thing I found a bit odd is there was no timetables or schedule for the route. The driver said last bus left each end of the line at 10pm, and the time they reached the other end would be entirely dependant on who was driving!

I don't know much about the US bus scene, but I am quite fond of the New Flyers .

I am no longer active on this forum.
(10/04/2016 14:16)Dentonian Wrote:  PS. What are fares like where you have been travelling? 12 years ago I was in Seattle and remember travelling from SeaTac to Renton which was a good 10 miles, and paying something ridiculous like $1.25. Even then, that sort of money wouldn't buy you four bus stops in Gtr. Manchester

The I-Ride line I travelled on 2 years ago was $2 flat fare, $1 for child and $0.25 for seniors. 7 day adult pass $12, so still pretty cheaper than here!

I travelled by bus in Mojacar, Spain in 2013. The route it took was approx. 45 mins round trip, and ran up the mountains to a small town. That was 1euro flat fare, which I think worked out at approx. 80 british pence per journey!

I am no longer active on this forum.
(11/04/2016 10:31)R879 HRF Wrote:  The I-Ride line I travelled on 2 years ago was $2 flat fare, $1 for child and $0.25 for seniors. 7 day adult pass $12, so still pretty cheaper than here!

I travelled by bus in Mojacar, Spain in 2013. The route it took was approx. 45 mins round trip, and ran up the mountains to a small town. That was 1euro flat fare, which I think worked out at approx. 80 british pence per journey!

Massive disparities in fares, or at least in so much as I have experienced. The best was 25c flat fare (a small town circular), another was $1 flat through the centre of San Francisco and the worst was $7 for a 5 mile journey through the outskirts of Oakland.

I have noticed this old trolley bus design that was mentioned. A relatively new vehicle reminded me of the old Ikarus Citibuses - very limited seating inside as well, and not a lot of space to hold on for standees. It is really strange over here! Still bamboozled each time I use public transport; including getting on a regional train which drove down an actual main road high-street, even stopping at a red light!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)