Current time: 25/04/2024, 05:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
[Archive] Northern (Arriva Rail North)
[Archive] Northern (Arriva Rail North)
A thread for news and discussion relating to Arriva Rail North

The £400m order for 281 brand new carriages has been confirmed as 43 3 or 4 car EMUs and 55 2 or 3 car DMUs with tendering currently underway. Pleased to see that part of the EMU order will be replacement units for the Class 323 fleet which is due to transfer to London Midland in the next few years. The same source also reports that Arriva Rail North will receive cascaded diesel stock from ScotRail and Great Western Railway as a result of current electrification projects

Full article here: http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/rol...plans.html
Find all posts by this user
RE: Arriva Rail North
Was reading that article before, Is it known when Great Western and Scot Rail will be able to release these Trains (assuming their 150s and 156s)

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(11/12/2015 23:49)T42 PVM Wrote:  Was reading that article before, Is it known when Great Western and Scot Rail will be able to release these Trains (assuming their 150s and 156s)

It's widely assumed that the stock will be Class 150/0, 150/1 and 150/9 stock from Great Western Railway and Class 156, 158 and 170/4 stock from ScotRail although there doesn't seem to be anything confirmed at the moment - but considering the DMU order I really wouldn't be surprised if the ScotRail 170/4s went somewhere else. I'm sure that we'll get some confirmation on which units are coming from where in the not too distant future though

As for when they're released that will largely depend on when GWML electrification is completed (currently scheduled for 2017) - and enough of the Class 800 and Class 801 IEP units have entered service to release enough Class 43 HSTs (albeit with a reduced number of carriages) to ScotRail. This will allow stock to be cascaded to Arriva Rail North. There's electrification projects going on in Scotland at the moment as well which when completed will also release DMU stock

I think the arrival of Sprinters from GWR will depend on when the Class 365 (from TSGN) and the brand new Class 387 units for Thames Valley services have all entered service - which will in turn enable some of the Class 165 and 166 units to move west and release the previously mentioned Sprinter stock for onward transfer to Arriva Rail North
There'll be further rolling stock details (for example planned manufacturers with talks apparently having already been held with Siemens for TPE) and any other details not currently confirmed released once the 10 day period following the award of the franchise which exists to allow those who have lost out to appeal. Worth noting that as it is the TOCs looking to source the trains here, it doesn't necessarily need to be put to tender if they've already had discussions with and agreed something with someone (again, allegedly Siemens for TPE).

Another note to make is that the Northern name and brand (along with the new Northern Connect brand) will be retained albeit as a slightly revised design, Arriva Rail North is likely to be just a legal name.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
(12/12/2015 00:20)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  It's widely assumed that the stock will be Class 150/0, 150/1 and 150/9 stock from Great Western Railway and Class 156, 158 and 170/4 stock from ScotRail although there doesn't seem to be anything confirmed at the moment - but considering the DMU order I really wouldn't be surprised if the ScotRail 170/4s went somewhere else. I'm sure that we'll get some confirmation on which units are coming from where in the not too distant future though

As for when they're released that will largely depend on when GWML electrification is completed (currently scheduled for 2017) - and enough of the Class 800 and Class 801 IEP units have entered service to release enough Class 43 HSTs (albeit with a reduced number of carriages) to ScotRail. This will allow stock to be cascaded to Arriva Rail North. There's electrification projects going on in Scotland at the moment as well which when completed will also release DMU stock

I think the arrival of Sprinters from GWR will depend on when the Class 365 (from TSGN) and the brand new Class 387 units for Thames Valley services have all entered service - which will in turn enable some of the Class 165 and 166 units to move west and release the previously mentioned Sprinter stock for onward transfer to Arriva Rail North
150001 and 150002 which operate Mon-Fri between Reading and Basingstoke are earmarked for transfer to Exeter when replaced by 165/166.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(12/12/2015 05:45)CX54 DKD Wrote:  Another note to make is that the Northern name and brand (along with the new Northern Connect brand) will be retained albeit as a slightly revised design, Arriva Rail North is likely to be just a legal name.

I've used "Arriva Rail North" to prevent any possible confusion of "Northern" with Northern Rail - which is more commonly known as "Northern"

(12/12/2015 07:41)childwallblues Wrote:  150001 and 150002 which operate Mon-Fri between Reading and Basingstoke are earmarked for transfer to Exeter when replaced by 165/166.

Thanks for that CB. Based on that ARN should be receiving 17 Sprinters from Great Western
If it is just the GWR 150/1units there are 15 comprised of 150101/02/04/06/08/20-24/27-31. If the 150/9 are included 150925/26 make 17.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
I would actually see some of the franchises have standard liveries , basically Arriva Rail North will be in TfN area eventually , TfN should set a standard livery which any franchise will use saves a lot of money at franchise changes times , much like Scotrail.

It will probably become boring for the rail enthusiast but the passengers then know what colour train it is there getting no matter what .
(13/12/2015 10:31)wirralbus Wrote:  I would actually see some of the franchises have standard liveries , basically Arriva Rail North will be in TfN area eventually , TfN should set a standard livery which any franchise will use saves a lot of money at franchise changes times , much like Scotrail.

It will probably become boring for the rail enthusiast but the passengers then know what colour train it is there getting no matter what .

I dont think Passengers look at what colour the Train is, for example in Liverpool Lime Street on Platform 6 is usual to have the 52 Past Norwich Train at the top of the platform and the 55 past Oxford Road Train at the back, Its amazing how many people who want the front Train get on the back Train

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(13/12/2015 10:31)wirralbus Wrote:  I would actually see some of the franchises have standard liveries , basically Arriva Rail North will be in TfN area eventually , TfN should set a standard livery which any franchise will use saves a lot of money at franchise changes times , much like Scotrail.

I agree with this. Recently we've seen ScotRail, Great Western Railway and Thameslink Great Northern all receive a standard livery that will remain exactly the same regardless of the franchisee. As you have said it will save a lot of money because the units/carriages won't need to be repainted every time the franchise changes hands - in fact the only thing that would need to be changed when that happens are the "Operated by..." stickers/signs at stations and on the units/carriages

(13/12/2015 11:52)T42 PVM Wrote:  I dont think Passengers look at what colour the Train is, for example in Liverpool Lime Street on Platform 6 is usual to have the 52 Past Norwich Train at the top of the platform and the 55 past Oxford Road Train at the back, Its amazing how many people who want the front Train get on the back Train

I agree with you as I don't think it really matters what colour a train (or bus) is either. I personally think it's more to do with the association of a certain livery with a specific franchise (as well as avoiding the cost of repaints whenever the franchise is taken over by a new company) - which I think is a very good idea. It's like Great Western Railway's trains will all eventually be green - so the majority of regular commuters will (hopefully) automatically recognise green trains as GWR
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)