Current time: 25/04/2024, 20:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which independent operator do you miss the most?
RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most?
Mine would be:

1. GTL - fully agree with SL64 and MM's sentiments here, Gillmoss isn't the same;
2. Supertravel - their little ALX200s were great buses and I miss seeing them in Mossley Hill;
3. Merseypride - the 82B was like a timewarp with those ancient Olympians and almost non-existent timetable, but they had a charm to them. Nice livery too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(02/12/2015 17:11)RedPanda Wrote:  I know they don't do merseyside but Jim Stones buses are brilliant and very family focused if you like. Caught one once to Leigh and BBC radio 2 was on but would go off everytime the bell was pressed. Little things makes the journey more enjoyable.
Pity they only operate in and around Leigh

(11/12/2015 18:39)507009 Wrote:  Mine would be:

1. GTL - fully agree with SL64 and MM's sentiments here, Gillmoss isn't the same;
2. Supertravel - their little ALX200s were great buses and I miss seeing them in Mossley Hill;
3. Merseypride - the 82B was like a timewarp with those ancient Olympians and almost non-existent timetable, but they had a charm to them. Nice livery too.

I've just give Merseypride a google and found a Marshall P831BUD it looks like it was a tidy bus operator
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
That's the wrong Merseypride. There were two operators in Liverpool. One based in Sefton the other based in Speke/Halebank

Merseypride Motor Services Ltd (Bootle) was formed with a connection Blue Triangle, and at some point had a connection with LMS and then Alpha Travel

Merseypride Travel (Speke) was formed as a coach hire company and went into administration, Mostly due to the coach hire collision of DHZ6774, which crashed as a result of a tire defect resulting in the loss of life.
(14/12/2015 18:57)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  That's the wrong Merseypride. There were two operators in Liverpool. One based in Sefton the other based in Speke/Halebank

Merseypride Motor Services Ltd (Bootle) was formed with a connection Blue Triangle, and at some point had a connection with LMS and then Alpha Travel

Merseypride Travel (Speke) was formed as a coach hire company and went into administration, Mostly due to the coach hire collision of DHZ6774, which crashed as a result of a tire defect resulting in the loss of life.

I wondered why the liverys was different
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Being from Manchester mine would have to be:

Maynes - grew up with there interesting fleet and would travel home from Highschool most lunchtimes just to have a ride on 21 A101DPD. After school I would often hang back at the bus stop letting the boring Stagecoach Olympian/B10M pass and wait for the 232 in the hope it was something unusual like an atlantean then curse when one of the Scania's or Tridents turned up lol. I often wonder what the fleet would look like today if they were still going.

Speedwellbus - I think they have already had a mention but I watched this operator grow from one welfare bus in Glossop to a sizeable fleet. The owner would be out driving everyday and would stop and chat to everyone. An enthusiast himself to some degree he was very passionate about the service his company provided and if they got something wrong they would often put it right. Sad that there no longer around.

I know I'll get some stick for this but UK North - yes they wernt pefect at all and the Manchester bus Scene is a safer place with them gone but I did admire there attempt to take on the big boys and at one point the big boys seemed worried. I believe just before they were taken off the road they were in the process of registering to operate on the 216, now that would have been interesting!
(01/12/2015 21:33)mbonwick Wrote:  I find it interesting that the first two replies to this thread cite GTL and JPT....both operators whose demise came about as a result of financial difficulties, and who were subsequently found to have maintainence that left a lot to be desired.

Perhaps a good demonstration that an enthusiasts idea of a "good" bus doesn't necessarily tally with the harsh reality?

Having just read this months buses magazine and the news about the former director of Velvet and latterly Western Greyhound and his manager I would tend to agree, and where GTL is concerned I carnt really comment but where JPT is concerned, sadly it had nothing to do with financial difficulties but the pure greed of the former owners son who for some reason decided he wanted to make a quick buck rather than uphold the reputation and standing in the industry his parents had built up since de-reg. No doubt if they hadn't retired when they did JPT or JP Travel as it was would still be operating in Middleton today!
Fareway & Liverbus set a network of niche routes without overreaching themselves, Fareway centred there routes on Kirkby, Liverbus centred there's on Huyton, both made a big impact on Merseybus, until Merseybus brought them out.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(11/12/2015 15:41)St Helens Rider Wrote:  The has had other spells of competition - Merseybus and Crosville have had their run-ins - I recall Crosville running a C10 between Rock Ferry and New Brighton and Merseybus responding with a 66 between Arrowe Park and Ellesmere Port (just one example I can think of). Also Busmans Buses also created a bit of competition on the Arrowe Park - Birkenhead corridor as well as one point.

By the way the 66 was Clatterbridge Hospital - Stanney Grange
Thanks for the correction - memory being a bit flaky given how long ago it was. I knew it went into the Ellesmere Port area.
I remember that because at the time the maximum adult fare on any route outside Merseyside (Cheshire) was £0.65 single £1.08 Return , those where the days of what I term cheap fares compared to todays fares.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)