Current time: 20/04/2024, 11:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liverpool Night Buses Christmas 2015
RE: Liverpool Night Buses Crimbo 2015
(06/10/2015 23:38)T42 PVM Wrote:  Greater Manchester have also made Night Services work out so if they can do it why cant Merseyside make theirs work out

Operators need to apply logic for the services to work. If they looked on here and took on board just a small amount of the ideas being thrown around then they'd probably get a decent service going.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Which would be a better location for ALL night services , so they could be managed by security better Elliot Street or Queen Square .

Queen Square they would all have to start from the same side of Queen Square probably in the direction of St Georges Hall or Elliot Street in the dog leg by the Wetherspoons all with security presence .

As T42PVM and Enviro400 have said some good logic is needed and it WILL work , if a Saturday/ Sunday work then try Friday/Saturday. There will be some acrimony with the Taxi industry to start off with if it becomes a regular service as they see this as there own work.
What I don't get is most are going from one of the above but why is the 1 on its own at Sir Thomas Street surely make more sence at Queen Square
(07/10/2015 15:14)E208 WBG Wrote:  What I don't get is most are going from one of the above but why is the 1 on its own at Sir Thomas Street surely make more sence at Queen Square

It makes the 1 a security risk if it is seperate from all other services at that time of the night , i agree with you E208.
I assume its from sir Thomas street to be less confusing for passengers. If they know the 1 is running night services the first place they look is going to be its normal pickup point, rather than have it somewheret they may not be familiar with such as queen square. If they see it going from somewhere they're unsure of, when a bit tipsy they're more likely to just hop a taxi than find the relevant stand..

I've been on night buses a number of times and never once seen any abuse or assault or even drunk behaviour. Bus drivers are no more under threat than in the day time. I believe the loaders are a waste of time.

I am no longer active on this forum.
I don't know where this whole "security issue" mantra stems from, but security really are not required.

Run the buses on their normal routes but extrapolate all routes back to Liverpool ONE where there is a dedicated layover space and facilities for drivers. That way you cover most of the night-life quarter, instead of serving only Queen Square which is on the edge of town and quite a stagger from the centre of the nightscene.

Liverpool ONE bus station happens to also be outside Police HQ and in the centre of the Police's Operation City Plan, so there are plenty of officers out and about as it is, plus it is well lit and well covered with CCTV. A couple of security guards, who would only call the police if everything got out of hand, are definitely not necessary.

People will be merry and loud, but only a small minority of idiots will want to cause trouble, and they will have likely been dealt with by bouncers and the Police earlier in the night anyway. People have been out and had a good night and want to get home. I can't see there being any issue.

As somebody said earlier on; night buses are no different to the last buses on Friday/Saturday nights - you get people singing loudly, drunkenly staggering to a seat and people shouting to their mates down the other end of the bus - but it's all in good spirits and I doubt the drivers feel unsafe. I know I certainly feel safe- in fact, I prefer a bit of a fun atmosphere after finishing work!

As I've said over and over: treat the nightbuses the same as normal services and they will work- that goes for the whole security issue too. Apply some common sense and have a common layover site where everything can be kept an eye on by drivers and CCTV and it will be well and good.
(07/10/2015 15:36)Enviro400 Wrote:  I don't know where this whole "security issue" mantra stems from, but security really are not required.

Run the buses on their normal routes but extrapolate all routes back to Liverpool ONE where there is a dedicated layover space and facilities for drivers. That way you cover most of the night-life quarter, instead of serving only Queen Square which is on the edge of town and quite a stagger from the centre of the nightscene.

Liverpool ONE bus station happens to also be outside Police HQ and in the centre of the Police's Operation City Plan, so there are plenty of officers out and about as it is, plus it is well lit and well covered with CCTV. A couple of security guards, who would only call the police if everything got out of hand, are definitely not necessary.

People will be merry and loud, but only a small minority of idiots will want to cause trouble, and they will have likely been dealt with by bouncers and the Police earlier in the night anyway. People have been out and had a good night and want to get home. I can't see there being any issue.

As somebody said earlier on; night buses are no different to the last buses on Friday/Saturday nights - you get people singing loudly, drunkenly staggering to a seat and people shouting to their mates down the other end of the bus - but it's all in good spirits and I doubt the drivers feel unsafe. I know I certainly feel safe- in fact, I prefer a bit of a fun atmosphere after finishing work!

As I've said over and over: treat the nightbuses the same as normal services and they will work- that goes for the whole security issue too. Apply some common sense and have a common layover site where everything can be kept an eye on by drivers and CCTV and it will be well and good.

Hit the nail on the head. As a bus driver, I do mostly late shifts. I've never felt under threat, at all. Yes there are always noisy tipsy people, who generally get the whole bus into song, but it's a lively atmosphere and breaks up the boredom. I love a livelybus in good spirits. There drunk problems are 9/10 caused by druggies and alcoholics who linger around suburbs and on park benches which cause the trouble. I've never once had trouble with tipsy town goers.

The only thing night bus 1 needs is higher fares. As has been mentioned the 1 costs £3-Wirral Liverpool and £3.40.Cheshire-liverpool. So running at £2 flat fare makes no sense. We will see...

I am no longer active on this forum.
(07/10/2015 16:07)R879 HRF Wrote:  Hit the nail on the head. As a bus driver, I do mostly late shifts. I've never felt under threat, at all. Yes there are always noisy tipsy people, who generally get the whole bus into song, but it's a lively atmosphere and breaks up the boredom. I love a livelybus in good spirits.

It's good to hear that from an actual driver, I guess the whole security risk thing comes from corporate and the usual H & S fears over anything and everything?
(07/10/2015 16:21)Enviro400 Wrote:  It's good to hear that from an actual driver, I guess the whole security risk thing comes from corporate and the usual H & S fears over anything and everything?

Well, I'm a bus driver too and I'd welcome security at Queen Square. In fact, there is no way I'd volunteer to work on night buses if there was no security. It's very much a case of 'probably not needed but it's nice to know it's there just in case'.
(07/10/2015 16:56)DEM777Y Wrote:  Well, I'm a bus driver too and I'd welcome security at Queen Square. In fact, there is no way I'd volunteer to work on night buses if there was no security. It's very much a case of 'probably not needed but it's nice to know it's there just in case'.

Out of interest, do you work the last services often? How do you generally find them?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)