Current time: 20/04/2024, 03:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chester Bus Station
RE: Chester bus station
The new design won't be much better either, the plans seem to show a highly reduced number of stands as well as bus shelters appearing outside of the 'U' bend.

Buses entering the new bus station will have to affectively U-turn into the bus station before doing two more U turns to get out via a mini roundabout, ahead of a give-way junction Huh
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Looking at the design it looks really good as services that use the bus exchange will probably use new one and other services still use city stops. don't forget not many services at all use stands 2,5,6,9,15 in the current bus station
I don't much like the new design but it will be a improvement on the current infrastructure. I don't particularly like the location, but logistically it will be better in terms of accessing Foregate street and the railway station.
(31/08/2015 10:19)FC Pictures Wrote:  previously the Bus exchange was a health hazard and home to rats etc,hence the minor makeover, it wasn`t exactly giving out a good image to a city like Chester considering the visitors the area gets

As suggested above, the council were rather forced to do something about the existing bus station as it was in such a terrible state of repair. The fact that a new bus station was on the cards was the reason the council went down the "cheap & cheerful" route & only installed standard bus shelters. Whilst pretty inadequate, the end is al least in sight now & those bus shelters can at least be used elsewhere after the Town Hall exchange is finally closed.
Have I misunderstood this? I thought the existing Bus Station ( and I agree with all the adverse comments about it - it is a disgrace for a city of Chester's standing ) was continuing in use with only some of the routes transferring to the new one. The 84 from Crewe/Nantwich is I believe one of the routes transferring and the connection that I regularly make onto the X2,X8,1 or 2 in the Birkenhead/Liverpool direction will be lost or at least inconvenienced!

Can someone clarify this for me.
(04/09/2015 15:29)BHA Wrote:  Have I misunderstood this? I thought the existing Bus Station ( and I agree with all the adverse comments about it - it is a disgrace for a city of Chester's standing ) was continuing in use with only some of the routes transferring to the new one. The 84 from Crewe/Nantwich is I believe one of the routes transferring and the connection that I regularly make onto the X2,X8,1 or 2 in the Birkenhead/Liverpool direction will be lost or at least inconvenienced!

Can someone clarify this for me.

All routes are to be transferred to the new bus station once it opens, the existing station will be demolished (or rather folded away) to make way for the so-called "Northgate development".
Will this new bus station work is the main question , just look at the bus station in Birkenhead that didnt work until they added extra bus stands , with buses parked up on the road trying to get in causing traffic chaos on a major arterial road , maybe not so bad here though because the bus station is accessed from two roads .
(04/09/2015 16:58)wirralbus Wrote:  Will this new bus station work is the main question , just look at the bus station in Birkenhead that didnt work until they added extra bus stands , with buses parked up on the road trying to get in causing traffic chaos on a major arterial road , maybe not so bad here though because the bus station is accessed from two roads .

I think any bus station sandwiched in between two busy roads is a bad design. It only takes one obstacle to block a access road and then everything has to be diverted to use the other entrance/exit potentially causing long tailbacks.
I have been speaking to a man at the council who was at the car park yesterday. the bus station as we know will have 13-14 stands on the concourse. however he said that there will be 3 additional us stops almost where they are now on gorse stacks making it 16-17 stands.

a good thing about the bus station ( new ) is that on certain journeys there will be reduced journey time especially 21/x30/53/x8
(05/09/2015 07:13)Conbus Wrote:  I have been speaking to a man at the council who was at the car park yesterday. the bus station as we know will have 13-14 stands on the concourse. however he said that there will be 3 additional us stops almost where they are now on gorse stacks making it 16-17 stands.

a good thing about the bus station ( new ) is that on certain journeys there will be reduced journey time especially 21/x30/53/x8

True, but the position of the new bus station counteracts this as a further 10 minutes might be spent walking to more central Chester. In a way it's like a the bus only runs short to Gorse Stacks now. Take the X30 for example, many people do get off at Gorse Stacks but a lot of people also stay on the bus to access the market and the surrounding area.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)