Current time: 18/04/2024, 20:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First propose closing three depots
First propose closing three depots
First have proposed closing their depots in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Hereford and Bracknell later this year

http://www.firstgroup.com/about-us/news/...-first-bus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: First propose closing three depots
(30/06/2015 07:22)Dentonian Wrote:  iirc, Newcastle was originally proposed for closure a few years ago, but got a reprieve.
I'm also concerned about the poor reporting, with a company's own Media team stating that a bus service (90; Reading-Bracknell) has been "sold" to another company. You can't just sell a bus route. You deregister a service and a rival may register commercially, usually with the local authorities or other interested parties writing to the local TC to support short notice, to ensure continuity of the service.

I was a bit confused about that myself to be honest. I can speak from experience that First's buses in Hereford are indeed underused - and considering the high volume of operators in Hereford it's no great surprise that First have decided to close their depot in the city. It is a shame however that jobs could potentially be lost as a result of the three depot closures
(30/06/2015 19:39)Dentonian Wrote:  Admittedly, I am not as closely involved in the operating industry as in past decades, but history suggests that only Hereford is likely to see net job losses, other than possibly a few on the engineering side. Transferring Newcastle ops to Adderley Green will no doubt achieve economies of scale, thus a schedules re-write will slightly reduce the number of drivers (and possibly buses) required, but as the industry has had a chronic driver shortage since Adam were a trainee conductor on TD1s, these would possibly go through natural wasteage or even just a reduction in Overtime because there are less lines on crew rosters unfilled. Similarly, in Reading, the 90 will still need drivers even if the buses are a different colour or shape, and from what I've read about Reading Buses over the years, cost cutting is not their number one obsession.

It's a shame that people could be losing their jobs but I suppose on the other hand it's positive that it would be a smaller number rather than a larger number. There may well be opportunities for those at Hereford depot with the other companies operating in the city as there's Stagecoach and quite a few independent operators too

It's a shame that First have proposed to close Hereford depot rather than sell it to another operator in the area - however I don't think it would be economically viable for an operator of any size to take on a depot that only carries 3,500 passengers a day. That might sound like a reasonable number when you first look at it considering it's a fairly small city in comparison to others - but it works out at just 5.9% of Hereford's population which isn't a lot at all
The transfer of route 90 formerly route 190 to Reading Buses will replicate Newbury routes in 1992. It also represents a further disbandment of the former Berks Bucks Bus Company which traded as The Bee Line. Slough joined Bracknell under common ownership by Q Drive in 1993, and joined First as part of the takeover of CentreWest in 1997.

As Slough will be an isolated operation near London, I think First will eventually sell it to Go-Ahead or Arriva. It was actually part of The Shires until sold to Q Drive in 1993.
The way things are going it will not be long before Arriva overtakes First to be the second largest bus company in the UK.
Oh yes, with first closing Bracknell I wonder whether they might eventually let Stagecoach take over route 94, Bracknell - Camberley? I'm sure Stagecoach have a garage at Camberley.
(12/07/2015 20:25)Metroline1511 Wrote:  Oh yes, with first closing Bracknell I wonder whether they might eventually let Stagecoach take over route 94, Bracknell - Camberley? I'm sure Stagecoach have a garage at Camberley.

Metroline1511,

Stagecoach have already registered route 94.
Depot is in Aldershot, only a short run up the A331.
I was in our Bracknell office this morning - strange to see green and cream buses on the 90. I presume Reading took it over at the weekend, as First were still operating the route when I was there last Wednesday.
(13/07/2015 12:23)Southernsofty Wrote:  Metroline1511,

Stagecoach have already registered route 94.
Depot is in Aldershot, only a short run up the A331.

Thank you for pointing this out. I then went to the Stagecoachbus website and saw the timetable!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)