Current time: 24/04/2024, 23:30 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Using Scottish Money in England
Using Scottish Money in England
I just had a funny experience at my local Takeaway, I walked in and made an order that came to £10.10, i gave the guy an Option of accepting a Scottish Tenner or an English £20 and he took then English £20 even tho he had to run a couple of doors down to getr my £20 swapped for 2 Tenners Big Grin Anyone else ever had problems like this?

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
RE: Using Scottish Money in England
(18/06/2015 18:39)bolton bus basher Wrote:  I just had a funny experience at my local Takeaway, I walked in and made an order that came to £10.10, i gave the guy an Option of accepting a Scottish Tenner or an English £20 and he took then English £20 even tho he had to run a couple of doors down to getr my £20 swapped for 2 Tenners Big Grin Anyone else ever had problems like this?

Yes, as some small businesses are reluctant to accept Scottish or Ulster notes as difficult to then persuade future customers and/or suppliers to take them.

However, larger businesses (local Tesco has never quibbled when I have proffered an Ulster or Scottish banknote) and the high street banks quite happy to take them.
Find all posts by this user
I think its more that some of the retailers do not know on an Scottish and Ulster Bank Note what to look for in the way of security measures , we all know what we are looking for on a Bank of England Note.
i've tried paying with George best fivers and the plastic irish fivers here to and you get some real funny looks

Bring Back Arriva Skelmersdale
Being a Scot that regularly carries out missionary work in England, I can assure you that strange looks are common when tendering a Scottish bank note. However, it's been a long time since anywhere actually refused to accept one.
Well some people will laugh at this comment, I used the same Takeaway this evening and the same person served me and accepted the exact same Scottish £10 Note...

I do understand why companys in England dont accept Scottish notes as they seem easy to fake, For example Lobster Pot in Liverpool City Centre has a handful of Notes on the wall that are fake and people have tried to use, Almost all are Scottish.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I was in Glasgow last Saturday and came back with four Scottish £20s as I forgot I wouldn't get English notes from a Glasgow ATM. Got rid of them easily enough by using them to buy Swiss Francs that I needed for business travel at Travelex. Fortunate timing!
I lived in Edinburgh for a few years, and I occasionally had people in England reluctant to accept Scottish notes. A funny thing happened on August Bank Holiday 2002 though. I caught an overnight coach from Edinburgh to London, and offered a Scottish £20 note for my Travelcard. So, the ticket clerk gave me a Scottish £10 note within the change!
Of course, if our Caledonian cousins hadn't blinked, but had opted for independence, they would be just joining the Euro as Greece leaves.

One economic basket case for another? ( puts on tin hat and prepares for a hail of rancid haggis' and tins of tartan shortbread to be lobbed across)
The answer is that if you don't like the Scottish note most retailers north of the border will willingly change it. On a recent visit I was told that they were legal tender south of the border to which I replied but will they be tomorrow.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)