Current time: 18/04/2024, 22:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
Currently a late night number 1 takes 1 hour 25 minutes from Liverpool - Chester (Dep Liverpool at 22.35, and arrives in Chester at 23.57). Its already too tight between Cheshire Oaks and the Wheatsheaf, but a bit too slack between Eastham and Cheshire Oaks. So assuming they can move a couple of minutes around to give it enough time from Cheshire Oaks to Chester, and knock a few minutes from the eastham - oaks section, they could cut maybe 5 minutes off the running. Which leaves us with a journey time of 1 hour 20 minutes to Chester. (Traffic is not a factor, its already dead traffic wise around 10pm on this route once out of Birkenhead). Lets then say for arguments sake it takes 25-30 minutes to run dead from Chester back to Liverpool that leaves us with a round trip of 1 hour 50 minutes- meaning whichever bus runs the 0005 trip cannot run the 0135 trip.

Say it ran back in service, it would take 2 hours 40 minutes to do a round trip, giving the driver 10 minutes either end, makes up to 3 hours for a round trip. If this was the case, then whichever bus ran the 0005 would run the 0305, with a 2nd bus performing the 0135 trip.

Its is not feasible to say the full route 1 could be done in under 1 hour 15 minutes at a push- with the useless traffic lights on the route, and the route already being foot down at night for the best part, not much more could be knocked off. Which makes me think if they only wanted to use the 1 vehicle, then perhaps its not the full route 1 being ran. Either a detoured version, maybe even the X8 or similar, OR, of course its not running the full journey through to Chester. If it where to run to Ellesmere Port or similar rather than full route, 1 bus could be used.

Really quite looking forward to seeing the timetable for this one.

I am no longer active on this forum.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
It does say in the article that all normal stops will be used, so I assume it will be normal route.
The question that needs to be asked and discussed really is can the cost of the fuel for the buses be justified in a 1 way run then light back to Liverpool without passengers.

If the overnight service is to be successful then really it needs service runs back to Liverpool as well as out to chester otherwise there is no point and no justification to run it overnight.

I once worked for Radonneur which was part of wirral community transport and there was once talk of running the 177 which I used to drive on sn overnight basis but the cost could not be justified because as the depot where I operated from had no on site fuel pump the vehicles had to be fuelled at ordinary service stations. Ok a little digression I know but the point is there needs to be a decent amount of takings to make enough money just to cover the fuel and the drivers wages or there is no reason to run it overnight.

I know you guys will probably rip me apart but thats how it is.
It is like they don't want it to succeed: they've come under political pressure from MPs and councillors and have probably agreed to run these night services for promotion of the Gold status, as previously mentioned.

The whole £2 flat fare is going to sink the ship before it has even set sail, as somebody said earlier that it is more expensive in the day.

This means that they can always pull the "well it wasn't commercially viable so we're not going to run it anymore" card when they are questioned over discontinuing the service. That said, maybe that is their get out of jail free card, which they may not need if it is a success.

I hope it is run in both directions, and I hope that SC and Merseytravel promote it accordingly. I'd love for there to be a regular cross-river nightbus service again, but I am quite skeptical at this stage.
Probably will do well on the weekends up to Christmas but will it do just as well on the Wintry nights in January and February.
I know what you mean because when arriva ran the night services through the tunnels to wherever they went they had a flat fare if I think 3.00 or 3.50 and they made a packet out of them. I once heard figures easily around a grand or grand and a half per driver per night. So if stage are to do this then as I said before it NEEDS to be both directions to justify running it.
(06/10/2015 17:21)Myllenium2453 Wrote:  I know what you mean because when arriva ran the night services through the tunnels to wherever they went they had a flat fare if I think 3.00 or 3.50 and they made a packet out of them. I once heard figures easily around a grand or grand and a half per driver per night. So if stage are to do this then as I said before it NEEDS to be both directions to justify running it.

Arriva where charging a disgusting £4 for a single so they priced themselves out of the market

I do agree that if this trial is going to work the service needs to run both ways

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Well stage need to consider between 3.00 and 3.50 or 3.70 because at 2.00 they will seriously lose out money wise.
(06/10/2015 18:03)T42 PVM Wrote:  Arriva where charging a disgusting £4 for a single so they priced themselves out of the market

I do agree that if this trial is going to work the service needs to run both ways

£4 single is peanuts for a cross-river service. It's almost that in the day. Try getting a taxi the same distance and you'll be paying excess £18
(06/10/2015 20:39)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  £4 single is peanuts for a cross-river service. It's almost that in the day. Try getting a taxi the same distance and you'll be paying excess £18

At £4 a Single people are going to look at that and think screw that and just use their local Pub instead or just buy some booze and drink at home, i know i would rather do that then spend £4 just to buy a single on a Bus

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 11 Guest(s)