Current time: 19/04/2024, 14:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
(20/10/2019 16:32)Mayneway Wrote:  Stotts have no desire to run anything commercial they are happy with a presence on tenders and schools - not saying they won't pick up more work as that's the plan I believe but they won't run anything commercially sadly.

My money is not on MCT but their owners HCT. A lot of senior HCT management who were based in London are in the process of relocating to Manchester. They are apparently very excited about the possibility of franchising so wouldn't be surprised if it's something they go for.

MCT wil do what there told by HCT they will use MCT name.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(23/10/2019 00:02)Mrboo Wrote:  MCT wil do what there told by HCT they will use MCT name.

They won’t use the MCT name. Look at how they operate elsewhere. Hackney community transport is a charity transport group, they originally used this to bid on TFL tenders then once successful set up CT plus which is a seperate arm.
If and it’s only an IF HCT ended up with Oldham they would run it as a completely commercial entity not a charitable one which MCT still is. I would imagine they would leave mct to go for smaller work they do at the moment and they would go for the bigger stuff.

They are very very keen to get a bigger slice in Manchester. Allegedly they were the successful purchaser of Rosso until Transdev stepped in with a slightly bigger offer 50 minutes before bidding closed.
Abeillo are looking at Manchester opportunities ....are they going to replace stagecoach?
(25/10/2019 19:32)johnluke Wrote:  Abeillo are looking at Manchester opportunities ....are they going to replace stagecoach?

if so poor staff they are not nice to London staff
I wonder how long First will keep the evening 2 Bolton - intu Trafford Centre tender its now the only Bolton route left that isnt Vantage with First, even if TfGM arent keen on Rotala having tendered contracts it just seems a bit strange.
Are First still looking at selling Oldham?
(14/01/2020 14:16)darylyates17 Wrote:  Are First still looking at selling Oldham?

I think at current its all undecided, they aren't going for their original plan that was to sell Oldham depot as an individual unit now. However FirstGroup is planning to split up and sell units within its Group and break up the group, how this happens remains to be seen, and Oldham might be seen by potential buyers as not worth having as its loss making in its current form and also bus franchising might mean that the value of the assets there would fall more, especially as the garage site is rumoured for redevelopment plans related to Oldham town centre. However FirstGroup is likely to remain in Greater Manchester until at least the First Sunday in April 2021 as that is when the Vantage contract expires. Suspect Oldham might also be being kept open as a unit to service and manage it. When Vantage is re-tendered next year it will be a three way tussle between Go North West, Diamond North West and Stagecoach Manchester (Wigan Depot) as to who takes it, unless Arriva North West decide to have another go, after all they are helping First Manchester now so that would make sense, and they where runners up in the bid that started in 2016, also much easier possibly to TUPE drivers over as no change in place of work and also possibly no change in immediate managers.

With regards to Oldham, I would think the answer maybe do nothing and wait for Franchising, if it goes ahead again do nothing but not bid for routes and just close it down that may and get compensation off TfGM/Mayor of Greater Manchester if Stagecoach wins any Court action it takes against TfGM/Mayor. If First pulls out now it gets no Compensation if it remains it could get a large £m payout, if Stagecoach win there proposed action. Hence the reason why they have held on to Oldham for now.
(14/01/2020 22:28)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I think at current its all undecided, they aren't going for their original plan that was to sell Oldham depot as an individual unit now. However FirstGroup is planning to split up and sell units within its Group and break up the group, how this happens remains to be seen, and Oldham might be seen by potential buyers as not worth having as its loss making in its current form and also bus franchising might mean that the value of the assets there would fall more, especially as the garage site is rumoured for redevelopment plans related to Oldham town centre. However FirstGroup is likely to remain in Greater Manchester until at least the First Sunday in April 2021 as that is when the Vantage contract expires. Suspect Oldham might also be being kept open as a unit to service and manage it. When Vantage is re-tendered next year it will be a three way tussle between Go North West, Diamond North West and Stagecoach Manchester (Wigan Depot) as to who takes it, unless Arriva North West decide to have another go, after all they are helping First Manchester now so that would make sense, and they where runners up in the bid that started in 2016, also much easier possibly to TUPE drivers over as no change in place of work and also possibly no change in immediate managers.

With regards to Oldham, I would think the answer maybe do nothing and wait for Franchising, if it goes ahead again do nothing but not bid for routes and just close it down that may and get compensation off TfGM/Mayor of Greater Manchester if Stagecoach wins any Court action it takes against TfGM/Mayor. If First pulls out now it gets no Compensation if it remains it could get a large £m payout, if Stagecoach win there proposed action. Hence the reason why they have held on to Oldham for now.

Vantage I feel will not be re-tendered but be the test / first stage of routes under the new plans for Gtr Manchester. First could look at keeping it mind you with a deal as they had Luton rail link running off a depot in Essex with buses parked up on a car park
Its just a shame though that First don't actually seem interested in Oldham Depot and the vehicles and services it operates.

For example look what Go Northwest have done since they took over Queens Road Depot they've brought in replacement vehicles and refurbished some of the former First fleet and brought it upto scratch and recently relaunched a popular service and are using route branded vehicles on it and also drivers seem a lot more friendly there now.

Also you've got Stagecoach that are operating some services that Oldham used to operate and from all accounts are making a better job of them and passengers are happier with that.

One set of routes that I'm sure Oldham dont seem bothered about is the 181/182 corridor, at one time we had 24/18/182 albait 24 ended up only running at peak times now since the 24 was took off there seems to be gaps in service especially in evening peak, for example I finish work at 18:00 in Manchester and there should be a 182 at 18:18 but regularly now due to late running or whatever 18:18 will fail and this means now no bus from Manchester from 17:53 until the next 181 at 18:34.
I think the main reason Oldham has not sold so far is due to lack of buyers, Stagecoach cant buy it, Rotala and Go Ahead are still sorting out their new Depots in the area and Arriva dont buy depots these days, I suspect it will sell at some point.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 15 Guest(s)