Current time: 18/04/2024, 19:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
(13/01/2019 11:37)Mayneway Wrote:  In all honesty it will have nothing to do with the cost of using non standard buses. I don't know exactly how many services oldham operate these days but having 1 route out of dozens that requires a certain type of smaller vehicle must be a nightmare for routers/allocaters. Interworking must be a real headache too.

One thing I will say though and that's when the Darts came up from Cornwall they were actually in pretty good condition. The body's were straight and they were mechanically sound. Even at Dukinfield they were well looked after but as soon as they went to oldham they just got ran into the ground. Panels all bashed and scraped, thick black smoke pouring out of exhaust and extremely rough sounding engines.

It would not Surprise me if Oldham Depot now withdrew the Darts

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
With the 415s being my sole mode of transport for several years, it used to be a busy, decent route, 15 Minute service from Middleton to Holt's required 7 buses, and it failing to show up happened, but was uncommon when the Crusader Darts dominated the route. In the space of a couple of years it's been decimated to a once an hour and regularly fails to turn up. The fact it's now unused is down to Firsts cut backs. Most people on Alkrington Estate catch the 125 now, same frequency but rarely shows up late or not at all. There's calls all over the estate for Stagecoach to extend the 114 into Middleton via The Current 415 route. I caught a few B7 Eclipses on the route in the past, that didn't struggle to get under the bridge. While Stagecoach's MAN's and Enviro 300's regularly used the bridge without issue running out of Middleton Depot, rerouting the 415 down several major roads that commonly suffer traffic problems will just kill the service even more.
Find all posts by this user
(13/01/2019 19:39)Solo40336 Wrote:  With the 415s being my sole mode of transport for several years, it used to be a busy, decent route, 15 Minute service from Middleton to Holt's required 7 buses, and it failing to show up happened, but was uncommon when the Crusader Darts dominated the route. In the space of a couple of years it's been decimated to a once an hour and regularly fails to turn up. The fact it's now unused is down to Firsts cut backs. Most people on Alkrington Estate catch the 125 now, same frequency but rarely shows up late or not at all. There's calls all over the estate for Stagecoach to extend the 114 into Middleton via The Current 415 route. I caught a few B7 Eclipses on the route in the past, that didn't struggle to get under the bridge. While Stagecoach's MAN's and Enviro 300's regularly used the bridge without issue running out of Middleton Depot, rerouting the 415 down several major roads that commonly suffer traffic problems will just kill the service even more.

Stagecoach will never extend the 114 as they don't like to 'directly' compete with First but it's a shame because there is a demand and like you say if users had a regular service that actually turned up on time people would use it.
(13/01/2019 20:28)Mayneway Wrote:  Stagecoach will never extend the 114 as they don't like to 'directly' compete with First but it's a shame because there is a demand and like you say if users had a regular service that actually turned up on time people would use it.

If they don't like to "directly" compete with First, what on earth is the 38?
(13/01/2019 20:28)Mayneway Wrote:  Stagecoach will never extend the 114 as they don't like to 'directly' compete with First but it's a shame because there is a demand and like you say if users had a regular service that actually turned up on time people would use it.

Next joke please
(13/01/2019 19:39)Solo40336 Wrote:  With the 415s being my sole mode of transport for several years, it used to be a busy, decent route, 15 Minute service from Middleton to Holt's required 7 buses, and it failing to show up happened, but was uncommon when the Crusader Darts dominated the route. In the space of a couple of years it's been decimated to a once an hour and regularly fails to turn up. The fact it's now unused is down to Firsts cut backs. Most people on Alkrington Estate catch the 125 now, same frequency but rarely shows up late or not at all. There's calls all over the estate for Stagecoach to extend the 114 into Middleton via The Current 415 route. I caught a few B7 Eclipses on the route in the past, that didn't struggle to get under the bridge. While Stagecoach's MAN's and Enviro 300's regularly used the bridge without issue running out of Middleton Depot, rerouting the 415 down several major roads that commonly suffer traffic problems will just kill the service even more.

I remember those brand new Solos turning up on the old 406 replacing knackered Mercedes 711D minibuses, around the same time as the old 404/405 used to be run by Crusader Darts and the NC-bodied Metrobuses, surprisingly fond memories of both of them to say I was only 6 when the retirement started.

In 2013 I used to get the 415 home so it was a great trip down memory lane going on the Crusader Darts, but unfortunately as you put it they just didn’t turn up often.
(13/01/2019 21:21)Brickmill Wrote:  If they don't like to "directly" compete with First, what on earth is the 38?

Well they bought Bluebird and then acquired JPT to make inroads into the north Manchester area and have had the opportunity to wipe the floor with First, same could be said in Tameside but they instead prefer to play nicely. 38 is hardly a roaring success.
(13/01/2019 22:46)WhiteVanMan Wrote:  Next joke please

How is it a joke?? First have been dire for years and in all honesty the only way they still survive is because there's no direct threat or compitition.
With what appears to be the downfall of First in Oldham (and North Manchester as a whole), i'm surprised that other operators haven't upped their game to get pax off the First and onto their service.

One example being the Stotts operated 407 between Denshaw and Oldham, fares seem to be much more reasonable and the service turns up on time or up to five minutes late - compare that with the 83 service First provides of which are regularly held up in traffic around Manchester and driver changeovers at Mumps. If they advertised their service and fares a lot more to the area they operate in, then surely that'll increase the number of passengers using it? Especially because the majority of 83/407 passengers travel between Moorside and Oldham Mumps to connect onto the tram in the morning and evening peaks.

Another aforementioned problem with First, especially in Oldham, is the regular occurrence of buses turning up at Mumps and sitting there as the relieving driver hasn't shown up for duty/or the duty hasn't been covered in the first place which hammers down the reputation that First had (if they even had one in 'first' place). On some days you can even count to 6+ buses sat along each side of the interchange.
Has Rusholmes fleet gone to Queens Road since Rusholme is closing today I think

User(s) browsing this thread: 41 Guest(s)