Current time: 28/03/2024, 17:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Warrington's Own Buses
RE: Warrington's Own Buses
Service 22 is to be extended from Vulcan back to Earlestown and Ashton-in-Makerfield from 28th April:
"Service will now extend from Vulcan Village via Earlestown, Vista Road, Haydock, Haydock Industrial Estate and Garswood to Ashton-in-Makerfield. Service will run hourly Monday to Saturday daytime and replace withdrawn 603."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(27/01/2019 07:00)RedPanda Wrote:  I accept some people may wish to use mobile ticketing apps as the ticket doesn’t crinkle, tear, etc. However I disagree people buying paper tickets shouldn’t be charged more. It defeats the point of a course I’ve recently attended for my speech. Watching people less fortunate than myself learn a technique and become more grateful for what they can say with what they want to say. Such apps are a disgrace if those such as myself who can speak wish to take the opportunity and speak and ask for x y z.

The same goes for low income people without cheap Android smartphones. They shouldn’t be paying the fare increase.

Totally agree. I would add that from my observations m-tickets ADD to journey times as so many users start struggling to find the ticket on screen after boarding or insist on holding the phone too far away from the driver.
(12/02/2019 19:49)Brickmill Wrote:  Totally agree. I would add that from my observations m-tickets ADD to journey times as so many users start struggling to find the ticket on screen after boarding or insist on holding the phone too far away from the driver.

Here Here! Well said Why should the elderly before 0930, low income persons and the unemployed be penalised for not buy a bit of technology. Also some people need tickets to prove they've been on the bus to there employer why should that employer be penalised for wanting proof, to a small business it could be the difference between them staying a foot or going under.

These phones may have a place but it should be a choice not a must do.
(12/02/2019 20:07)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Here Here! Well said Why should the elderly before 0930, low income persons and the unemployed be penalised for not buy a bit of technology. Also some people need tickets to prove they've been on the bus to there employer why should that employer be penalised for wanting proof, to a small business it could be the difference between them staying a foot or going under.

These phones may have a place but it should be a choice not a must do.

As single tickets aren't available on the app the only way the elderly are penalised is if they make outward and return journeys before 09:30 on the same day. I don't know of many pensioners finishing their shopping or leaving the hospital after their appointment at 08:30. Some are lucky if the first bus of the day leaves before 8am!

If you buy via the app you get an email receipt, you can take a screenshot of your ticket and the transaction appears on your card statement so you have more proof than a paper ticket which can become unreadable if you put it near something warm or if it gets wet.
(12/02/2019 20:49)knutstransport Wrote:  As single tickets aren't available on the app the only way the elderly are penalised is if they make outward and return journeys before 09:30 on the same day. I don't know of many pensioners finishing their shopping or leaving the hospital after their appointment at 08:30. Some are lucky if the first bus of the day leaves before 8am!

If you buy via the app you get an email receipt, you can take a screenshot of your ticket and the transaction appears on your card statement so you have more proof than a paper ticket which can become unreadable if you put it near something warm or if it gets wet.
A lot of GP appointment s finish well before 0930 and many surgeries are no longer within walking distance of home
(13/02/2019 06:52)Brickmill Wrote:  A lot of GP appointment s finish well before 0930 and many surgeries are no longer within walking distance of home

At my local surgery there are only two doctors on duty at 08:30 so only around 6 people will have had their appointments by 09:30. Then as the local bus is hourly no-one will get a bus home before 09:30. Even if they could they wouldn't be paying so much for fares that a day ticket would be the most cost effective option.

How many people in Warrington need to pay over £2.50 each way to get to the doctor's?

Surely the ones who travel furthest are most likely to do something else like shopping at the same time. Even someone who is too ill to go shopping afterwards may need to pop in to the pharmacist for a prescription before going home.
MD of Warrington's own buses, Ben Wakerley wants to explore a guided busway for Warrington like Leigh's rather than a tram system.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/new...nightmare/

Not sure how likely this might be and what battles he might face against those in favour of a tram system in Warrington.

In my own opinion I doub't a tram system in Warrington is a viable option as when you look at there fleet of buses most are of Midi size so going from a 37 seater to something that is far bigger is overkill. Not sure where he wants to run a busway to and from? maybe someone in Warrington has some idea?
(19/02/2019 23:01)gilesbus1 Wrote:  MD of Warrington's own buses, Ben Wakerley wants to explore a guided busway for Warrington like Leigh's rather than a tram system.

Not sure how likely this might be and what battles he might face against those in favour of a tram system in Warrington.

In my own opinion I doub't a tram system in Warrington is a viable option as when you look at there fleet of buses most are of Midi size so going from a 37 seater to something that is far bigger is overkill. Not sure where he wants to run a busway to and from? maybe someone in Warrington has some idea?

I already have ideas. Run them on a disused railway from Latchford (where freights change ends) to Altrincham via Lymn, But saying that would see Cheshire cat passengers decline between Lymn and Altrincham
(19/02/2019 23:01)gilesbus1 Wrote:  MD of Warrington's own buses, Ben Wakerley wants to explore a guided busway for Warrington like Leigh's rather than a tram system.

Which ever decision is made between Newton station and Warrington, I expect it to include Parkside Colliery if the both plans go ahead. There’s plans for an industrial estate on farmland and appears to be facing north east of Winwick meaning more congestion.
https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/new...nted-rate/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
A Versa has been repainted in the new livery

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)