Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Diamond Bus North West - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Diamond Bus North West (/showthread.php?tid=95)

RE: Diamond Bus North West - gilesbus1 - 22/11/2019 16:24

(22/11/2019 10:24)Winston Wrote:  I'm not sure there is much spare depot capacity at Bolton to grow the fleet/routes operated out of there.

What is the 20veh application on the Preston Bus licence for Weston Street, Bolton in relation to, is that to transfer routes and vehicles onto with staff at lower wages, or is it just to store discs with nothing physical actually happening?

RE: Diamond Bus North West - robertclark125 - 22/11/2019 18:05

I think it's the latter. They done a similar application at Heanor, in Derbyshire, before acquiring Bolton from First, and with Yourbus now defunct, Rotala Preston Bus is using Bolton instead.

RE: Diamond Bus North West - Y458 KNF - 23/11/2019 20:07

How long do Rotala plan to keep hold of the 4 B9TLs before they go back to First?

RE: Diamond Bus North West - SK15 GZG - 23/11/2019 20:13

Reported elsewhere is the arrival of 33705 and 33717 at First South Yorkshire

RE: Diamond Bus North West - Winston - 24/11/2019 18:00

(23/11/2019 20:07)darylyates17 Wrote:  How long do Rotala plan to keep hold of the 4 B9TLs before they go back to First?

37351 & 37384 - are down to be returned by 31 Dec 2020.
37443 & 37445 - are down to be returned by 30 June 2020.

But as with the 12 plate Enviro400's currently re-entering service with First @ FSY, they were not due to be returned until between June 2020 - June 2021 - so they're being sent back early.

RE: Diamond Bus North West - Y458 KNF - 24/11/2019 18:45

(24/11/2019 18:00)Winston Wrote:  37351 & 37384 - are down to be returned by 31 Dec 2020.
37443 & 37445 - are down to be returned by 30 June 2020.

But as with the 12 plate Enviro400's currently re-entering service with First @ FSY, they were not due to be returned until between June 2020 - June 2021 - so they're being sent back early.

Id be surprised if they stay with Rotala untill those dates.

RE: Diamond Bus North West - gilesbus1 - 24/11/2019 23:43

(24/11/2019 18:45)darylyates17 Wrote:  Id be surprised if they stay with Rotala untill those dates.

I wouldn't, Volvo B9TL's are more mainstream with Rotala than Enviro Enviro400's, the firm owns none and only operates those on loan from FirstGroup, plus the B9TL's are probably cheaper to lease as they are older units.

Really the only thing that would speed up disposal is delivery of Streetdeck's to replace all double-deck units leased from FirstGroup, the beginning of that occurring now isn't expected until April 2020. Then there is the added thing of any school runs being won next summer of which they still meet TfGM requirements in terms of age, there could also be an outside possibility of them being bought and placed at Preston where other similar units exist, as by next year FirstGroup will be disposing of Wright Gemini models as mainstream, as their fleets contract.

RE: Diamond Bus North West - Y458 KNF - 25/11/2019 11:39

(24/11/2019 23:43)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I wouldn't, Volvo B9TL's are more mainstream with Rotala than Enviro Enviro400's, the firm owns none and only operates those on loan from FirstGroup, plus the B9TL's are probably cheaper to lease as they are older units.

Really the only thing that would speed up disposal is delivery of Streetdeck's to replace all double-deck units leased from FirstGroup, the beginning of that occurring now isn't expected until April 2020. Then there is the added thing of any school runs being won next summer of which they still meet TfGM requirements in terms of age, there could also be an outside possibility of them being bought and placed at Preston where other similar units exist, as by next year FirstGroup will be disposing of Wright Gemini models as mainstream, as their fleets contract.

Ah yes I completely forgot that Rotala don’t have any Enviro400s apart from the First loans, that might explain why some have gone back early. If First are getting rid of Some Gemini’s maybe Rotala could get a good deal on them.

RE: Diamond Bus North West - Winston - 25/11/2019 22:14

(21/11/2019 21:12)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Also competition from Rosso over part of the 471 route between Bury and Rochdale may mean Diamond placing other resources over this or other Rosso services as some sort of response. Also suspect that Rotala may have future plans for Bolton that may see other corridors being explored in order to develop the business and also to retain market share but that will be dependent on staff shortage issues being resolved.

In addition to the above, I'm led to believe that there's rumours of Rosso's Red 4 service being withdrawn in Jan, I understand that one competes directly with the 472/474.

No sure if anyone's heard anything along the same lines?

RE: Diamond Bus North West - gilesbus1 - 25/11/2019 22:20

I think, its not impossible Rotala might exercise buying options later on, on some odd fleet members as the Craig Group did when it bought out First's Galashields depot, two coaches where acquired later, already with FirstGroup/Rotala deal this time four driver trainers have been bought outright, an odd Gemini might not be as unlikely as it sounds, as Preston's decker fleet is quite old and if the Gemini's can be brought upto spec they wouldn't be a bad buy, especially as Preston Bus now has two similar aged examples in its own fleet now. In terms of being retained in Bolton I would think they would be the last deckers to go back simply as the rental value is lower than for Enviro Enviro400's and to get high value assets off the books first is a priority, thats why Enviro400's have already started to go back and why all 14 plate examples will be gone by Christmas.

Rotala are really a heavy buyer of Wright Group products and odd other makes it sees fit to purchase from time time on lease or as secondhand acquisitions, Optare, Scania and Mercedes-Benz being the most noticeable of these, Volvo's are mostly in the main Wright bodied excluding the Centro's and the odd Volvo Coach so that is why I haven't mentioned Volvo.

The Enviro Enviro400's all should realistically go by next Autumn, I presume those that have already gone are examples that are trouble-sum or required expensive work to be carried out on them, hence why they have departed now. Most will though need to wait for the large batch of 90 Wright Streetdecks coming in next year before they return to FirstGroup. Now the additional purchases from Yourbus has allowed some to return early besides replacing the entire 14 plate batch off lease. That may cause issues with loads on the lead up to Christmas this year but in future years shouldn't be an issue as the spread of the deckers and saloons should become right next year. The Yourbus saloons is quite likely a reflection in that it is impossible to get Euro 5 or 6 deckers on the secondhand market currently appart from the occasional Coach seated MMC Enviro400, hence why these have been bought. Whether the Citaro's will remain once further newer saloons are sourced or move to Birmingham and/or Preston remains to be seen.