Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Manchester Community Transport - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Manchester Community Transport (/showthread.php?tid=556)

RE: Manchester Community Transport - Metroline1511 - 21/03/2020 20:34

I reckon that routes that are Stagecoach during the day and MCT evenings, and Sundays if applicable, will have the full service now Stagecoach. I think of routes 7, 197, 328 & 329 in particular.

Route 44 could be Stagecoach or Go North West.

RE: Manchester Community Transport - Mayneway - 21/03/2020 23:26

(21/03/2020 20:34)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I reckon that routes that are Stagecoach during the day and MCT evenings, and Sundays if applicable, will have the full service now Stagecoach. I think of routes 7, 197, 328 & 329 in particular.

Route 44 could be Stagecoach or Go North West.

There’s a possibility the planned closure might be put on hold in light of the current situation. It’s a crazy situation at the moment.

RE: Manchester Community Transport - Mrboo - 23/03/2020 10:50

For years MCT has pushed tenders down by bidding on the cheap as not wanting profits to same levels of the big groups but also having a low paid workforce and with a low-cost base that is leased and have midi buses so great for tenders so have a go in cheap and get the tender and TFGM been happy as been able to get more for there money. now issue now is MCT have shown you can`t make tenders work at the rates they went in for and now others are putting in far higher bids but TFGM are like unable to sign off on the tenders as they dont have the money as they been used to MCT rates. There very little TFGM can do they have to pay the real cost of a tenders now.

RE: Manchester Community Transport - knutstransport - 23/03/2020 13:40

(23/03/2020 10:50)Mrboo Wrote:  For years MCT has pushed tenders down by bidding on the cheap as not wanting profits to same levels of the big groups but also having a low paid workforce and with a low-cost base that is leased and have midi buses so great for tenders so have a go in cheap and get the tender and TFGM been happy as been able to get more for there money. now issue now is MCT have shown you can`t make tenders work at the rates they went in for and now others are putting in far higher bids but TFGM are like unable to sign off on the tenders as they dont have the money as they been used to MCT rates. There very little TFGM can do they have to pay the real cost of a tenders now.

Or do like most local authorities are doing and reducing the level of service required in the new tenders or not putting a service out-to-tender as well.

I'm sure MCT's original business model was to operate as a not for profit and the idea was any money they may from tendered or commercial services would be used to support community bus schemes which they operated.

To compare MCT with D&G (who are seen as the low cost option for Cheshire East tenders), when MCT ran the 288 an adult single from Altrincham to the Airport was only around £2.20, now under D&G it's around £2.70 and even that £2.70 D&G fare is low compared to what some operators charge or even what D&G charge across the border in Cheshire.

RE: Manchester Community Transport - Mrboo - 23/03/2020 13:48

(23/03/2020 13:40)knutstransport Wrote:  Or do like most local authorities are doing and reducing the level of service required in the new tenders or not putting a service out-to-tender as well.

I'm sure MCT's original business model was to operate as a not for profit and the idea was any money they may from tendered or commercial services would be used to support community bus schemes which they operated.

To compare MCT with D&G (who are seen as the low cost option for Cheshire East tenders), when MCT ran the 288 an adult single from Altrincham to the Airport was only around £2.20, now under D&G it's around £2.70 and even that £2.70 D&G fare is low compared to what some operators charge or even what D&G charge across the border in Cheshire.
I feel Manchester should have a set £1.50 fare on tender routes as a testbed for what could happen

RE: Manchester Community Transport - Mayneway - 23/03/2020 17:15

(23/03/2020 10:50)Mrboo Wrote:  For years MCT has pushed tenders down by bidding on the cheap as not wanting profits to same levels of the big groups but also having a low paid workforce and with a low-cost base that is leased and have midi buses so great for tenders so have a go in cheap and get the tender and TFGM been happy as been able to get more for there money. now issue now is MCT have shown you can`t make tenders work at the rates they went in for and now others are putting in far higher bids but TFGM are like unable to sign off on the tenders as they dont have the money as they been used to MCT rates. There very little TFGM can do they have to pay the real cost of a tenders now.

Nothing to do with the price of tenders. MCT built up a decent paying network of tendered services and were able to put cheaper tenders in on work around the better paying tenders. Sadly due to very poor management and the attitudes of some senior staff at TFGM MCT were blocked on retendering on the better paying contracts leaving them with the low paying work that won’t meet the overheads.

People go on about cheap work force, fact is there is a family run operator up the road from MCT who pay significantly less than mct do and There’s actually a waiting list for drivers to work there.

The majority of the Ashton and Oldham work along with the Cheshire contracts are good payers and would have certainly kept the wolf from the door!

RE: Manchester Community Transport - Mrboo - 23/03/2020 17:42

(23/03/2020 17:15)Mayneway Wrote:  Nothing to do with the price of tenders. MCT built up a decent paying network of tendered services and were able to put cheaper tenders in on work around the better paying tenders. Sadly due to very poor management and the attitudes of some senior staff at TFGM MCT were blocked on retendering on the better paying contracts leaving them with the low paying work that won’t meet the overheads.

People go on about cheap work force, fact is there is a family run operator up the road from MCT who pay significantly less than mct do and There’s actually a waiting list for drivers to work there.

The majority of the Ashton and Oldham work along with the Cheshire contracts are good payers and would have certainly kept the wolf from the door!
So MCT drivers was not known for poor time keeping and waiting for 1 stop before end of route so they were always on time turning into a bus station? or like on Saturday on 159 the driver was overtaking a 83 so I missed the 159 as he was in middle lane and about 50 metres from there bus was turning left anyway so had to cut back in just before turn.

I know some of the MCT drivers one of them was banned from arriva rail replacement for speeding and bad language and used to jump from firm to firm and each time I seen him on RR I had to stand down that coach for the company to not be aware he was banned as he never informed them he was not allowed on norhern rail sites. When you pay less then other companys in area you only get the driver sacked from other companys or had reasons to not work for one of the big companys. and trust me tfgm dont ban for no reason they will only let you take the work no one wants as the better tenders will warrant a betting company track record. We had it at NX there was 1 company that was only given the sh*t as once you get the yellow card your on the sitty list. and in end that company got the red card and had the work pulled and they were the biggest op on nx at the time. ( yourbus )

RE: Manchester Community Transport - Mayneway - 23/03/2020 22:16

(23/03/2020 17:42)Mrboo Wrote:  So MCT drivers was not known for poor time keeping and waiting for 1 stop before end of route so they were always on time turning into a bus station? or like on Saturday on 159 the driver was overtaking a 83 so I missed the 159 as he was in middle lane and about 50 metres from there bus was turning left anyway so had to cut back in just before turn.

I know some of the MCT drivers one of them was banned from arriva rail replacement for speeding and bad language and used to jump from firm to firm and each time I seen him on RR I had to stand down that coach for the company to not be aware he was banned as he never informed them he was not allowed on norhern rail sites. When you pay less then other companys in area you only get the driver sacked from other companys or had reasons to not work for one of the big companys. and trust me tfgm dont ban for no reason they will only let you take the work no one wants as the better tenders will warrant a betting company track record. We had it at NX there was 1 company that was only given the sh*t as once you get the yellow card your on the sitty list. and in end that company got the red card and had the work pulled and they were the biggest op on nx at the time. ( yourbus )

Can I be honest... your talking rubbish.
MCT like most companies has some extremely bad apples and some very good decent ones.
You have made two statements, firstly we put very low tenders in for contracts, yet the prices kept 90 staff in wages and paid the rent on two depots.

Secondly that the wages were very low and as I’ve already said there are companies that pay more in Manchester and companies that pay less.

RE: Manchester Community Transport - Mayneway - 28/03/2020 01:30

The 391/392’s will be scaled back from Monday with journeys starting later and finishing earlier but more significantly it will go from a 3 bus working down to a 2 allowing YX19ONP to leave the fleet early for and join the Bristol community transport fleet.

RE: Manchester Community Transport - NorthernCounties - 14/04/2020 09:26

Cheshire council have announced the 391 and 392 are suspended until further notice from 20th April.

https://twitter.com/mct_travel/status/1249985713686433799?s=19