Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot (/showthread.php?tid=384)

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - Raawwwrrr! - 06/07/2012 11:28

(05/07/2012 21:23)K853 MTJ Wrote:  
(05/07/2012 19:47)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  
(05/07/2012 19:01)K853 MTJ Wrote:  Well the Renowns are proving reliable for GL, and they were on the 80/A, personally I reckon it's an flaw in the electrics with the DAFs, mechanically I see no reason why they aren't as solid as a Dart, with the exact same engine and gearbox.
Plus Laird Streets original Cadets went through a terrible spate of unreliability a few months back. Not sure what it is though!
Thats the one, photographed it in Runcorn earlier this week sounding dreadful. I think so mate, not brilliant! Whereas 7617 is solid as a rock, rather puzzling!

The renowns are actually unreliable, They're prone to braking down due to overheating which GL weren't impressed with.

2419 was known for problems at Speke as well, not just scince it went Runcorn (Though scince it was moved it sounds tired), 2419 was the fastest Speke cadet alongside 2432 and 2434 but was known for electrical problems with its alternator and idle vibrations.

Its bit unfair to blame the Spekes cadet tbh, They have been worked harder then the LS example, but even then LS buses such as 2428 and 2449 have been known for being taken off and sat in the depot for weeks!

Reliable enough to be sent to Warrington over Darts because they are also apparently unreliable.
2419 is still a rocket and still absolutely shifts the last time I went on it, I couldn't fault it.
At no point did I blame Speke specifically, but at the same time I don't get why the type in particular are so unreliable.
The darts are worse for reliability (especially the Marshalls) hence why few are used on the 6, but somethings got to run the service, and it won't be pulsars as they're required on more demanding services such as the 10B, the 14 and 15.

The last 2 points were more general discusion then personal (If I've got you confused!)

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - K853 MTJ - 06/07/2012 12:19

I often come across Pulsars on the 6, I was on 2721 on Wednesday and a 61 Pulsar passed me on it's way to Warrington, theres also been 2 times when Pulsars have operated it when I have rode on it, so I think its more whatever is available that isn't a Marshall is sent out on Warrington journies.
Yeah, confused me slightly, no worries!

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - H101GEV - 06/07/2012 17:45

(05/07/2012 18:20)V671 DVU Wrote:  The ex Speke Cadets have proven very troublesome indeed for Laird Street as well, actually causing them to be short. I suppose a hard life can be blamed for the Cadets reliability, the 80/A aren't exactly the easiest routes for a bus as light and un-capable as a Cadet to spend 12 years on.

I know this is off-topic but it's worth a quick reply here. These reliability issues are absolutely not limited to the ex-Speke Cadets at all - have people forgotten how long 2427, 2428 and 2449 have spent off the road in recent years? Hasn't 2449 been a problematic bus for years, a native Birkenhead example?

The DAF-built Cadets have general reliability issues. Singling out Speke depot as the source of the problems with this batch is unfair. They're excellent buses from a passenger standpoint with an impressive ride quality - a real cut above the shoddy VDL variants, although it's unfortunate that they suffer with poor reliability.

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - V671 DVU - 06/07/2012 18:05

I know it's not just the former Speke vehicles, but at the moment it's the former Speke vehicles causing problems for Birkenhead. And yes, 2449 has always been problematic. It had an engine fire early on in it's life, and has had a staggering 8 new engines since. I agree, DAF Cadets are lovely vehicles to ride with not many rattles and sound great. As I said, I definitely know it's just not the ex Speke vehicles!

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - T42 PVM - 06/07/2012 18:57

driver friend has informed me 1047 has been fitted with 1045's engine, it will be prepared for MOT once they finished with buses that are already in service but the cadets apparently keep breaking down, as i said yesterday 1047 will see service at runcorn until the gas buses enter service

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - K853 MTJ - 06/07/2012 19:52

(06/07/2012 17:45)507009 Wrote:  The DAF-built Cadets have general reliability issues. Singling out Speke depot as the source of the problems with this batch is unfair. They're excellent buses from a passenger standpoint with an impressive ride quality - a real cut above the shoddy VDL variants, although it's unfortunate that they suffer with poor reliability.

Completely agree, I love them, much better than the VDLs, much more comfortable I think. Just a shame they are so unreliable!

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - K853 MTJ - 06/07/2012 19:54

(06/07/2012 18:57)bolton bus basher Wrote:  driver friend has informed me 1047 has been fitted with 1045's engine, it will be prepared for MOT once they finished with buses that are already in service but the cadets apparently keep breaking down, as i said yesterday 1047 will see service at runcorn until the gas buses enter service

Happy days if 1047 re-enters service with Runcorn! Good move I think, may as well get the life out of the engine and bus while they can!

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - T42 PVM - 06/07/2012 19:55

indeed they can, the less the buses stop break down the faster it will be ready as its not high on the *to do* list

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - Gillmoss 0324 - 07/07/2012 12:17

Didn't the SB120 and Dart slf's generally become more unreliable/rattly when the Cummins Ise Engines got introduced around 2001 to comply with one of the 'Euro' requirements. The difference between the X-reg Cadets and the 55/07 ones when the engines idle is very different.

RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot - K853 MTJ - 07/07/2012 14:34

Completely different engines mate. Mechanically, the X reg DAF SB120s are Darts, as they have the same gearbox and engine, its just the electrics as well as the blatantly obvious difference in body that spells the 2 apart.
Then once Euro 3 was introduced, Darts and SB120s tended to use 4 cylinder engines compared to the 6 cylinder engines of the Euro 1 and 2 buses.