Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Arriva North East - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Bus Scene: Elsewhere (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East (/showthread.php?tid=37)

RE: Arriva North East - kuyoyo - 16/08/2012 20:45

1499 has entered service at Blyth alongside 1501
1764 is now at Blyth, as is 1768
1775 has been repainted
As has 1735, which has also had its full-size rear LED removed
Photos @ North East and Regional Bus Photos

RE: Arriva North East - kuyoyo - 17/08/2012 21:02

Pulsar 1429 is now working for Jesmond, effectively covering for the water-damaged 1498.

Information from Jeff Tattersall on arrivane Yahoo Group

RE: Arriva North East - N391OTY - 18/08/2012 22:06

New Blyth Pulsar 1505 (NK12 FLW) has been delivered to Jesmond and is visible from the open doors this evening.

RE: Arriva North East - kuyoyo - 18/08/2012 22:21

1503 has been noted in service at Blyth today. 1500/2 are in Blyth Depot.

Information from Jeff Tattersall on arrivane Yahoo Group

RE: Arriva North East - Tango - 19/08/2012 19:26

Hi all just a quick question, I've noticed these (link below) in the cabs of arriva busses and always wondered what they were for does anyone here know? And also do any other operators known the northeast use them ie go north east or stagecoach

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/3092582688_65222db4c1.jpg

RE: Arriva North East - sndriver - 19/08/2012 20:16

(19/08/2012 19:26)Tango Wrote:  Hi all just a quick question, I've noticed these (link below) in the cabs of arriva busses and always wondered what they were for does anyone here know? And also do any other operators known the northeast use them ie go north east or stagecoach

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3244/3092582688_65222db4c1.jpg

Tango

Those are the on bus real time information screens.

Basically, the drivers use these to communicate with the control room in Jesmond (in conjunction with a cab floor mounted foot pedal to enable hands free). They work differently to CB radios that some operators use in that you can only hear communication if the operator has a direct connection with that bus (no chatter is broadcast).

They can also be used to send/receive 'text' messages between the bus and the control room in the form of simple one line messages and/or information about loadings and such.

Primiarly however, they are used with the system at Jesmond to see on a virtual map exactly where each bus within the Teesside/Durham area is. (Most vehicles in Northumbria do not have these fitted). Using this data, reliability information can be compiled as they update their position when a driver opens his/her doors (i.e. bus stops). They are helpful with supervisors who query of where a bus is located should it fail to appear when scheduled.

Other than that, they are dormant to the driver most of the time. Some are fitted lower down in the cab at driver knee hight on the 40xx series and some 17xx series at least.

RE: Arriva North East - Tango - 19/08/2012 20:50

Thanks for that sndriver a very informative post, seems like quite a good piece of kit as far as the bus company is concerned, I especially like the idea of sending and receiving text messages, is this what you can hear when on the bus? Sort of sounds like a child's toy every now and again like a der derr der sound every now and again (sorry for the shocking description :-))

RE: Arriva North East - NK07 FZG - 19/08/2012 21:03

That tone I think your on about is something to do with the new ticket machines they introduced as they never made that tone beforehand.

RE: Arriva North East - sndriver - 19/08/2012 22:05

(19/08/2012 21:03)NK07 FZG Wrote:  That tone I think your on about is something to do with the new ticket machines they introduced as they never made that tone beforehand.

That is correct.

The noise that the real time system makes is very low and only audible to the driver, unless he/she has the volume full, but even then it would be difficult to hear - even for a passenger directly behind the driver.

The new wayfarers make the noise you suggest when they fall into standby mode (about 20 seconds after last button press).

RE: Arriva North East - NK07 FZG - 19/08/2012 23:35

Ahh ok, I thought that's what it was, thanks sndriver.