Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) (/showthread.php?tid=30)

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - motormayhem1 - 07/08/2016 10:46

He just said the company stated that the window had been smashed and there wasn't going to be a replacement veichle but this isn't the first time it's happened where the last bus hasn't run as i fully understand about if its a missile being thrown etc due to being a driver myself but in the past I've heard numerous passengers complain about the last bus not operating due to breakdowns etc and thats the problem with smaller operators when somthing like that happens its harder for them to cover where as larger firms can find the cover and can afford to have a number of drivers sat around on standby incase something happens but the companies who operate tendered services and fail to operate the full timetable are still getting paid for those journeys that ain't operated which in turn is a waste of public money unless the operator themselves tell the authority's that they missed the journeys as most passengers get used to it and get fed up of complaining and nothing happens as that looks the case with the way GHA was.

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - knutstransport - 07/08/2016 12:49

(07/08/2016 12:14)Dentonian Wrote:  Depending on how often the journey fails, where this happens in GM, TFGM will demand to see the ETM readings from the Operator.

I once tried to catch a Cumfybus service in Merseyside. One driver ignored me waiting at the bus stop and drove straight past. I waited until over 5 minutes after the departure time for the next bus and it didn't show up so I walked. I had already purchased a day ticket for buses in the area so I complained to both Cumfybus and Merseytravel. Cumfybus didn't respond but Merseytravel contacted me to say they had checked the tracking system and said they could confirm the second bus arrived at the stop I was waiting at 2 minutes late. That was rubbish so either Cumfybus could fiddle the times or the second bus went down the wrong road and the tracking system was unable to pick that up.

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - motormayhem1 - 07/08/2016 14:33

Sorry we are all not as punctuated as you dentonian but il keep my comnents and everything else to myself in future as don't think this forum is for me anymore , when ever someone says anything your straight there to shoot them down so I'll leave it there and won't bother posting anymore and il let you give everyone else on the forum the correct information from now.

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - Valandil - 07/08/2016 16:22

(07/08/2016 14:33)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Sorry we are all not as punctuated as you dentonian but il keep my comnents and everything else to myself in future as don't think this forum is for me anymore , when ever someone says anything your straight there to shoot them down so I'll leave it there and won't bother posting anymore and il let you give everyone else on the forum the correct information from now.

It's a shame that the forum does sometimes seem more like an academic debating sociey than a casual place for enthusiasts to share information ...
I always think it's particularly good to hear from drivers and others who actually work in the field.

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - Mayneway - 07/08/2016 17:39

(07/08/2016 12:14)Dentonian Wrote:  Strweth! I have to say that reading this is like listening to Yaya Toure's post match interviews. That must be longest unpunctuated sentence I have ever read.

Seriously, though, how do you know the Operator is still being paid for the journeys not run? Depending on how often the journey fails, where this happens in GM, TFGM will demand to see the ETM readings from the Operator. Once proved, they will lose the subsidy for the journey failed and awarded penalty points. Once, a certain amonut of points is amassed - and they are awarded for other offences such as non compliant vehicles - they can have the Tender taken off them. I suppose this is where it gets a bit problematical, as the Operator might get their lawyers to challenge the decision, and replacement contractors will no doubt sting TFGM for their extra cost of running the journeys. Also, it is notable that the performance of one large Operator in particular has declined drastically recently, albeit mainly in terms of non-compliant vehicles.

It stil happens far to often in GM under TFGM. There is one operator who just like GHA operates tenders at very low cost allegedly and the service and quality of these operations leaves a lot to be desired. Early running is a weekly occurance - that's just on the service that runs past my house of an evening! Unkept scruffy drivers who very often speak little or no English, drive the bus although their on a race track and the vehicles despite being modern are often very scruffy and dirty inside. As a taxpayer I'd rather see Stagecoach or even First operate these tenders.

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - pete tierney - 07/08/2016 19:58

(07/08/2016 10:46)motormayhem1 Wrote:  He just said the company stated that the window had been smashed and there wasn't going to be a replacement veichle but this isn't the first time it's happened where the last bus hasn't run as i fully understand about if its a missile being thrown etc due to being a driver myself but in the past I've heard numerous passengers complain about the last bus not operating due to breakdowns etc and thats the problem with smaller operators when somthing like that happens its harder for them to cover where as larger firms can find the cover and can afford to have a number of drivers sat around on standby incase something happens but the companies who operate tendered services and fail to operate the full timetable are still getting paid for those journeys that ain't operated which in turn is a waste of public money unless the operator themselves tell the authority's that they missed the journeys as most passengers get used to it and get fed up of complaining and nothing happens as that looks the case with the way GHA was.

Please keep reporting, I for one have always found your input to be valued, I would hate to lose this.

Thanks Pete

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - Mayneway - 07/08/2016 20:16

(07/08/2016 19:43)Dentonian Wrote:  All I can suggest is you continue to report these incidents of early running. I know who you mean from previous conversations, and I know their management were "summoned" to a meeting at TFGM HQ some months ago. Since then, I have noticed an improvement in vehicle compliance, but concede I can't speak for punctuality on your evening service. Although I wouldn't go sofaras naming specific "preferred" Operators, maybe you should also write to one of the TFGMC members in your area, stating that you are a taxpayer and as such your views are just as important as those of the Motorists lobby in your area. If I'm right, you live in the same borough as the leading propogandist against TIF, so that might be an interesting conversation to have! You should point out that you are prepared to pay a little extra council tax, if it meant safer roads, and ultimately better freedom of movement for non motorists. I'll leave you to find any comparisons you might want to give in terms of other areas of Council spending that you disagree with - I'm sure there are many, and that's just under the broad heading of Transport.

Its a thorny issue and like you I've been told that LA's would rather spend the money spent on tenders elsewhere and the way things are going that will probably happen sooner rather than later.
The original point was that some local authorities in Cheshire turned a blind eye to GHA's poor attempts to run tendered services but TFGM is no different. I've given the example above and to be honest it dosen't matter how many meetings the management get hauled to the fact is there running some of these contracts for such little money that you cannot expect service quality to be anything but poor.

Is it not fair to say TFGM turned a blind eye to the activities of JPT in the final 12 months before their demise? Early or non running was a major problem as was fiddling by drivers. Imagine my surprise when I got on a tendered evening service one night asked how much the fare was home to be asked 'how much did I want to pay'? And this wasn't a one off it happened time and time again. The use of non standard high floor elderly deckers on the 217. A service that carried a lot of elderly and disabled because at the time it went to Tameside hospital, yet It was a weekly occurance.

I'm not having a pop at TFGM but this crazy idea that cheapest is best isn't the case - I know it's a government rule, part of the transport act I think, but I personally feel that it ends up costing us taxpayers more in the long run anyway.

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - Mayneway - 07/08/2016 20:23

(07/08/2016 10:46)motormayhem1 Wrote:  He just said the company stated that the window had been smashed and there wasn't going to be a replacement veichle but this isn't the first time it's happened where the last bus hasn't run as i fully understand about if its a missile being thrown etc due to being a driver myself but in the past I've heard numerous passengers complain about the last bus not operating due to breakdowns etc and thats the problem with smaller operators when somthing like that happens its harder for them to cover where as larger firms can find the cover and can afford to have a number of drivers sat around on standby incase something happens but the companies who operate tendered services and fail to operate the full timetable are still getting paid for those journeys that ain't operated which in turn is a waste of public money unless the operator themselves tell the authority's that they missed the journeys as most passengers get used to it and get fed up of complaining and nothing happens as that looks the case with the way GHA was.

It's frustrating for passengers because not only are they inconvienced by the fact the bus dosen't turn up but when complaining to the local transport aurthority or council is that they send a patronising reply basically telling you they have passed your comments onto the operator concerned and that they will reply once investigated yet 9 times out of 10 you never get a reply so passegers simply give up complaining as they feel that nobody is listening. Obviously when local aurthority representitives travel on the service it runs to scedule with no issues lol.

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - motormayhem1 - 07/08/2016 21:18

(07/08/2016 20:23)Mayneway Wrote:  It's frustrating for passengers because not only are they inconvienced by the fact the bus dosen't turn up but when complaining to the local transport aurthority or council is that they send a patronising reply basically telling you they have passed your comments onto the operator concerned and that they will reply once investigated yet 9times out of 10 you never get a reply so passegers simply give up complaining as they feel that nobody is listening. Obviously when local aurthority representitives travel on the service it runs to scedule with no issues lol.

Its annoying as there trying to get people out of there cars and on to public transport but that won't happen if say someone gives the bus a try for a week and out of 5 days the bus doesn't turn up on 2 of them days.
They would soon return back to there car when having to pay for taxis if the last bus don't turn up to get them home.
Im not blaming the local transport authorities as they can only work with what they have but the government need to look at public transport and public services to get people using public transport.

RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others) - YN05 WKE - 07/08/2016 21:21

(07/08/2016 14:33)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Sorry we are all not as punctuated as you dentonian but il keep my comnents and everything else to myself in future as don't think this forum is for me anymore , when ever someone says anything your straight there to shoot them down so I'll leave it there and won't bother posting anymore and il let you give everyone else on the forum the correct information from now.

Your not the only one feeling this way Motormayhem1
Like you i have given updates in Stagecoach Chester and Wirral Thread with me being a driver there i have tried to help but feel like no one is really intrested..I feel its the same with you Motormayhem1 with what you post