Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Howards/Springfield - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Howards/Springfield (/showthread.php?tid=173)

RE: Howards/Springfield - knutstransport - 31/01/2016 09:46

(30/01/2016 15:31)The H man Wrote:  We always bid for schools this side of Chester, and local bus services too, we bid on the 200 but didn't win it.
We only bid prices that are worthwhile, too many operators bid low just to win the work and end up struggling or going bust, I won't name them but history shows it has happened.

Thanks. I just wondering by the time we only ever hear who has won the contract, the value of the contract and how many bids they were.

Some small operators only seem to bid for services which operate only between the morning and afternoon school/college runs or ones which are for evening services, so a route like the 200 wouldn't interest them.

The one that always surprised me was when Swans Travel were bidding for Cheshire contracts and they finished up winning the 200 and 289 contracts, as well a contract with the RHS for providing services during the Tatton flower show, despite them based in Chadderton. Maybe they thought Cheshire contracts were easier to win than Greater Manchester contracts

RE: Howards/Springfield - Raawwwrrr! - 31/01/2016 12:03

(31/01/2016 09:46)knutstransport Wrote:  Some small operators only seem to bid for services which operate only between the morning and afternoon school/college runs or ones which are for evening services, so a route like the 200 wouldn't interest them.

That is factually incorrect as independents have always religiously placed bids on the 200 Contract since Arriva stopped operating it. From Arriva, to Ashcrofts, to Supertravel, back to Ashcrofts and then Halton Transport.

RE: Howards/Springfield - The H man - 31/01/2016 13:18

(31/01/2016 09:46)knutstransport Wrote:  Thanks. I just wondering by the time we only ever hear who has won the contract, the value of the contract and how many bids they were.

Some small operators only seem to bid for services which operate only between the morning and afternoon school/college runs or ones which are for evening services, so a route like the 200 wouldn't interest them.

The one that always surprised me was when Swans Travel were bidding for Cheshire contracts and they finished up winning the 200 and 289 contracts, as well a contract with the RHS for providing services during the Tatton flower show, despite them based in Chadderton. Maybe they thought Cheshire contracts were easier to win than Greater Manchester contracts

If tfgm is like merseytravel, then yes, Cheshire much easier to deal with

RE: Howards/Springfield - The H man - 31/01/2016 13:20

(31/01/2016 12:03)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  That is factually incorrect as independents have always religiously placed bids on the 200 Contract since Arriva stopped operating it. From Arriva, to Ashcrofts, to Supertravel, back to Ashcrofts and then Halton Transport.

Sorry I meant the styal 200, we did win the runcorn 200 a few tenders back, but we then turned it down as they insisted on new low floor, which we couldn't justify, then supertravel got the tender after us....

RE: Howards/Springfield - knutstransport - 31/01/2016 15:37

(31/01/2016 12:03)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  That is factually incorrect as independents have always religiously placed bids on the 200 Contract since Arriva stopped operating it. From Arriva, to Ashcrofts, to Supertravel, back to Ashcrofts and then Halton Transport.

(31/01/2016 13:20)The H man Wrote:  Sorry I meant the styal 200, we did win the runcorn 200 a few tenders back, but we then turned it down as they insisted on new low floor, which we couldn't justify, then supertravel got the tender after us....

I thought you were referring to the 200 Wilmslow-Manchester Airport but then I'm aware a new contract starts on that service in March and the contract has recently been re-awarded to GHA. I think that 200 service used to be operated by Starline Travel in the early 90s so would have transferred to North Western. However, I think that route then went to Selwyns who purchased the 'Airport division' of Starline off North Western which was mainly coach work.

RE: Howards/Springfield - Neoplan N4009 - 09/03/2016 22:13

Looks like Howard's have gained a new acquisition in the form of YK53 GXL , look forward to seeing this in Howard's livery all being well!

RE: Howards/Springfield - The H man - 11/03/2016 07:25

(09/03/2016 22:13)Neoplan N4009 Wrote:  Looks like Howard's have gained a new acquisition in the form of YK53 GXL , look forward to seeing this in Howard's livery all being well!

Yep, it's being motd this morning. Painting will start at weekend.

Cheers

RE: Howards/Springfield - The H man - 11/03/2016 12:09

Also new here is YN51 MKZ scania wrights, and YV03 PZF, scania omni decker

RE: Howards/Springfield - Gillmoss 0324 - 21/03/2016 09:45

Hi H Man saw your Springfield liveried DB250/ALX 400 doing South West Trains replacement work in Kingston/Norbiton/Surbiton yesterday. It went OOS at Surbiton before I could ride it but nice to see a NW operator down south for a change. Thought I saw a Howards Neoplan doing work for SWT in February but wasn't sure it was one of yours and not seen Bear Buses ex-Merseybus/Lancashire Travel NC Olympian 0256 for a while (but their Metrobus is still chugging along)! Are you doing any rail reps for SWT over the Easter weekend? Smile

RE: Howards/Springfield - 326VFM - 21/03/2016 10:36

(21/03/2016 09:45)Gillmoss 0324 Wrote:  Hi H Man saw your Springfield liveried DB250/ALX 400 doing South West Trains replacement work in Kingston/Norbiton/Surbiton yesterday. It went OOS at Surbiton before I could ride it but nice to see a NW operator down south for a change. Thought I saw a Howards Neoplan doing work for SWT in February but wasn't sure it was one of yours and not seen Bear Buses ex-Merseybus/Lancashire Travel NC Olympian 0256 for a while (but their Metrobus is still chugging along)! Are you doing any rail reps for SWT over the Easter weekend? Smile

I've seen on Howard's Facebook, iI was shock to see X446FGP at Surbiton station near London, really doing well with long travelling.