Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Warrington's Own Buses - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Warrington's Own Buses (/showthread.php?tid=170)

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Atlanteanfan - 25/01/2019 19:29

https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2019/01/25/lovewarrington-show-episode-4-horsemarket-street-and-on-the-buses/

Interview in the bus station today

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Brickmill - 25/01/2019 21:40

(25/01/2019 19:29)Atlanteanfan Wrote:  https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2019/01/25/lovewarrington-show-episode-4-horsemarket-street-and-on-the-buses/

Interview in the bus station today

Some of the cheapest bus fares in the country. Given, the shortness of most of their routes, I would think their weekly tickets (£25+ plus?) were amongst the most expensive in the world.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Atlanteanfan - 26/01/2019 10:34

(25/01/2019 21:40)Brickmill Wrote:  Some of the cheapest bus fares in the country. Given, the shortness of most of their routes, I would think their weekly tickets (£25+ plus?) were amongst the most expensive in the world.

Haven’t seen that? They are £12 in town.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - knutstransport - 26/01/2019 11:55

They've introduced cheaper day and season tickets if you use the app, following the TfL trend that a physical ticket costs more than a virtual ticket.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - MTL0201 - 26/01/2019 13:44

£5.95 for the day rover brought on the bus, Arriva day ticket is cheaper with a much bigger area.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Brickmill - 26/01/2019 14:40

(26/01/2019 11:55)knutstransport Wrote:  They've introduced cheaper day and season tickets if you use the app, following the TfL trend that a physical ticket costs more than a virtual ticket.

The website is poor because it doesn't tell you the name of the weekly (or longer) tickets. There appears to be just one such ticket; Touch & Go which costs £23 and has to be bought in advance. (Much) cheaper tickets are confined to specific routes, which I assume is where they have competition.
The lamentable trend towards cheaper tickets (or more accurately) less expensive tickets on Apps isn't unfortunately confined to TfL. These are widely used to further punish passengers who can't afford or other wise use iPhones all on the basis of grossly exaggerated time savings with boarding. That's before we get into arguments about security and poor internet/wi-fi connections.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - knutstransport - 26/01/2019 15:25

(26/01/2019 14:40)Brickmill Wrote:  The website is poor because it doesn't tell you the name of the weekly (or longer) tickets. There appears to be just one such ticket; Touch & Go which costs £23 and has to be bought in advance. (Much) cheaper tickets are confined to specific routes, which I assume is where they have competition.
The lamentable trend towards cheaper tickets (or more accurately) less expensive tickets on Apps isn't unfortunately confined to TfL. These are widely used to further punish passengers who can't afford or other wise use iPhones all on the basis of grossly exaggerated time savings with boarding. That's before we get into arguments about security and poor internet/wi-fi connections.

I don't think anyone sensible would try to buy a ticket on their phone using the wifi of the bus they are about to board, they'd use their own mobile data connection or/and do it before they leave to get the bus.

You don't need an iPhone to use apps. Android phones which run apps start at around £50 (sim free), so a much higher proportion of people have a suitable phone than a few years ago. A lot of those without are older passengers who have ENCTS anyway.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - TheShire - 26/01/2019 15:52

(26/01/2019 14:40)Brickmill Wrote:  The website is poor because it doesn't tell you the name of the weekly (or longer) tickets. There appears to be just one such ticket; Touch & Go which costs £23 and has to be bought in advance. (Much) cheaper tickets are confined to specific routes, which I assume is where they have competition.

Not to mention they still havent change the network map, It still shows 23/23A. 45/46 etc which has since been long gone

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Brickmill - 26/01/2019 16:12

(26/01/2019 15:25)knutstransport Wrote:  I don't think anyone sensible would try to buy a ticket on their phone using the wifi of the bus they are about to board, they'd use their own mobile data connection or/and do it before they leave to get the bus.

You don't need an iPhone to use apps. Android phones which run apps start at around £50 (sim free), so a much higher proportion of people have a suitable phone than a few years ago. A lot of those without are older passengers who have ENCTS anyway.

I accept the point with commuter tickets but paying for a shorter period ticket in advance has its own drawbacks - what if your bus doesn't turn up or runs so late you miss your infrequent connection - a common occurance on Sundays especially. Besides £23 is still ridiculous for a weekly ticket, though I don't know what parking charges are like in Warrington. Elsewhere, there is a concerted effort to abolish charging for parking completely.
I'm surprised you can get Androids for as little as £50, unless demand has dropped with advances elsewhere. EWhen I got my Android many years ago, I paid £69 and understood it was a very basic model. I have "upgraded" to an iphone, but not for anything as security sensitive as financial transactions.
There is also often a big gap between those who are generally tech savvy ENCTS holders. ENCTS validity is now 65 - soon to reach 67 - whearas its only the under 55s that have universal knowledge of such things. When I left school in 1980 they had just received their first photocopier and we'd only just got used to carbon paper as pupils!

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - RedPanda - 27/01/2019 07:00

I accept some people may wish to use mobile ticketing apps as the ticket doesn’t crinkle, tear, etc. However I disagree people buying paper tickets shouldn’t be charged more. It defeats the point of a course I’ve recently attended for my speech. Watching people less fortunate than myself learn a technique and become more grateful for what they can say with what they want to say. Such apps are a disgrace if those such as myself who can speak wish to take the opportunity and speak and ask for x y z.

The same goes for low income people without cheap Android smartphones. They shouldn’t be paying the fare increase.