Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Warrington's Own Buses - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Warrington's Own Buses (/showthread.php?tid=170)

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - RSTurbo50 - 24/11/2018 08:30

Warrington is a very busy town and I’m pretty sure it will be a success. Passenger numbers on a weekend evening are pretty decent so as long as it’s promoted I genuinely feel it will work well.

In addition to this Iv been at the company for a number of years and it’s the busiest Iv known it in terms of passenger numbers. The company appears to be doing really well.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Mayneway - 24/11/2018 22:17

(24/11/2018 08:30)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  Warrington is a very busy town and I’m pretty sure it will be a success. Passenger numbers on a weekend evening are pretty decent so as long as it’s promoted I genuinely feel it will work well.

In addition to this Iv been at the company for a number of years and it’s the busiest Iv known it in terms of passenger numbers. The company appears to be doing really well.

If the town is very busy whys it taking outside funding for the municipul bus company to operate night services?? Surly they should recognise the demand and need for a late night network of services and be operating them commercially instead of relying on funding from a third party.

As for them doing well, yet again there's not really any real compition now Fairbrothers have gone, so yes on the face of it they will look to be doing well as punters have no choice but to use them or walk Smile

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - RSTurbo50 - 25/11/2018 10:39

(24/11/2018 22:17)Mayneway Wrote:  If the town is very busy whys it taking outside funding for the municipul bus company to operate night services?? Surly they should recognise the demand and need for a late night network of services and be operating them commercially instead of relying on funding from a third party.

As for them doing well, yet again there's not really any real compition now Fairbrothers have gone, so yes on the face of it they will look to be doing well as punters have no choice but to use them or walk Smile

The company will be taking one step at a time and should the night buses be a success then I’m sure the company will start to run them commercially and look to expand on this.

We still have link network, first and Arriva remember but yes not having Fairbrothers has absolutely bolstered passenger numbers. In addition to this the working partnership with Priestly College has been a success. This is evident in the amount of students we are carrying.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - wirralbus - 25/11/2018 11:18

Night buses are costly to run , the overheads are high .

You do wonder if Night buses are to be considered why there isnt more of them outside London

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Barney - 25/11/2018 15:30

(25/11/2018 11:18)wirralbus Wrote:  Night buses are costly to run , the overheads are high .

You do wonder if night buses are to be considered why there isn't more of them outside London

London is unique in many ways not least of all the fact it still has a regulated bus service overseen by TfL that franchises its routes which are heavily subsidised by the public purse. Also, it might surprise you to learn that, per capita, London receives four times as much subsidy for public transport as towns in the north of England.

Should the metro mayors outside of London ever decide to introduce franchising, they could stipulate that the successful franchisee runs key routes 24/7.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Brickmill - 25/11/2018 16:18

(25/11/2018 15:30)Barney Wrote:  London is unique in many ways not least of all the fact it still has a regulated bus service overseen by TfL that franchises its routes which are heavily subsidised by the public purse. Also, it might surprise you to learn that, per capita, London receives four times as much subsidy for public transport as towns in the north of England.

Not really a surprise. All public funding in London is much higher per head than elsewhere - Transport moreso. As regards franchising in (for instance) GM, as I overheard a couple of days ago - the idea that London should be treated different/better is unsustainable morally. OTOH, it almost certainly won't need the same level of subsidy anyway; I don't think anyone is suggesting fares as cheap as £1.50 here, even if wages are much lower than in London. Also, its doubtful, the coverage will be as comprehensive. Even then, some services could be increased without subsidy, whilst others might actually be reduced.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Mayneway - 25/11/2018 18:30

(25/11/2018 10:39)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  The company will be taking one step at a time and should the night buses be a success then I’m sure the company will start to run them commercially and look to expand on this.

We still have link network, first and Arriva remember but yes not having Fairbrothers has absolutely bolstered passenger numbers. In addition to this the working partnership with Priestly College has been a success. This is evident in the amount of students we are carrying.

Interesting you say that about Fairbrothers as I always thought WOBs were not that bothered about them and didn't really see them as a threat but if it's made a big difference passenger wise then clearly they were a thorn in WOB's side.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - Mayneway - 25/11/2018 18:33

(25/11/2018 11:18)wirralbus Wrote:  Night buses are costly to run , the overheads are high .

You do wonder if Night buses are to be considered why there isnt more of them outside London

Not saying there not costly but if demand is there then cash in on it. Charge a higher set fare and if it's timed right people will use it.

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - RSTurbo50 - 25/11/2018 19:58

(25/11/2018 18:30)Mayneway Wrote:  Interesting you say that about Fairbrothers as I always thought WOBs were not that bothered about them and didn't really see them as a threat but if it's made a big difference passenger wise then clearly they were a thorn in WOB's side.

I don’t think you could ever say they were a ‘threat’ due to them being a small operation but obviously in Dallams and Westys our number are certainly up..

RE: Warrington's Own Buses - EDB325 - 26/11/2018 09:51

(25/11/2018 18:33)Mayneway Wrote:  Not saying there not costly but if demand is there then cash in on it. Charge a higher set fare and if it's timed right people will use it.

It seems to work in Reading, where they run quite a comprehensive night bus network.