Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Avon Buses - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avon Buses (/showthread.php?tid=15)

RE: Avon Buses - Barney - 25/06/2014 08:26

(24/06/2014 20:59)busdude Wrote:  They have the 122 in North Liverpool and they seem to be running that fine, and they most probably use one of their MPD darts, unless they are brining new buses in

The 122 is atypical. It is a M-F service that requires two full-sized single deckers as it provides the ONLY link to Aintree hospital and Walton Vale through Thornton and Netherton, runs on major roads, serves several large secondary schools and consequently takes a lot of cash fares. It is an hourly tendered service on Saturdays and does not run at all on Sundays.

The 135/235 is very different. It uses minibuses and operates daily from 7am till midnight on a very circuitous route between Aintree Station and Bootle Strand through several housing estates whilst most of its passengers are elderly or use Saveaways. After 7pm it is rare to see anyone on this service.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Avon, having cut back on its Wirral services is trying to find work for its staff and vehicles rather than make them redundant. Good luck to Avon, but I can't see it being a success.

RE: Avon Buses - Raawwwrrr! - 25/06/2014 09:04

(25/06/2014 08:26)Barney Wrote:  The 122 is atypical. It is a M-F service that requires two full-sized single deckers as it provides the ONLY link to Aintree hospital and Walton Vale through Thornton and Netherton, runs on major roads, serves several large secondary schools and consequently takes a lot of cash fares. It is an hourly tendered service on Saturdays and does not run at all on Sundays.

The 135/235 is very different. It uses minibuses and operates daily from 7am till midnight on a very circuitous route between Aintree Station and Bootle Strand through several housing estates whilst most of its passengers are elderly or use Saveaways. After 7pm it is rare to see anyone on this service.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that Avon, having cut back on its Wirral services is trying to find work for its staff and vehicles rather than make them redundant. Good luck to Avon, but I can't see it being a success.

It could work, it's a load of dead mileage like the 122, but with Cumfybus nearing or on their max OP disc number and favouring Manchester tenders over Merseyside ones, there could be opportunities in the near future for Liverpool side contracts.

RE: Avon Buses - R557 ABA - 25/06/2014 11:47

(24/06/2014 16:03)KU02 YUH Wrote:  Well, this is a huge surprise in my opinion - Avon will be running the 135 (Aintree > Bootle) service from the 7th of July!

PC1097846/32 - AVON BUSES LTD T/A AVON BUSES, 10, BROOKWAY, NORTH CHESHIRE TRADING ESTATE, PRENTON, CH43 3DT
Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: Aintree Station
Finish Point: Aintree Station
Via: Walton Vale, Bootle Bus Station, Millers Bridge
Service Number: 135
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 07-JUL-2014
Other Details: Monday to Saturday Daytime

Looking at it logically though, Avon have recently withdrawn or amended quite a few services on the Wirral this month, primarily due to Stagecoaches doing, they're obviously going to take on work elsewhere if they can't move forward with their business on the Wirral. It's only a slight repetition to what Cumfybus has done too, there's not an awful lot more companies can do for unique profitable routes on the Wirral anymore as they're mostly covered by one or more operator.

RE: Avon Buses - wirralbus - 25/06/2014 14:50

(25/06/2014 11:47)R557 ABA Wrote:  Looking at it logically though, Avon have recently withdrawn or amended quite a few services on the Wirral this month, primarily due to Stagecoaches doing, they're obviously going to take on work elsewhere if they can't move forward with their business on the Wirral. It's only a slight repetition to what Cumfybus has done too, there's not an awful lot more companies can do for unique profitable routes on the Wirral anymore as they're mostly covered by one or more operator.

I think that the rest of Avons work on the wirral that is left is former Merseytravel work or is Merseytravel work and is now probably safe from the prying eyes of Stagecoach , i maybe wrong .

RE: Avon Buses - WAITING FOR THE 437 - 25/06/2014 23:15

Its sad to see Avon having to serve Liverpool now that Stagecoach are trying to go after their viable commercial routes. Stagecoach should be pushing Arriva more not going after "The local Independent" its an easy picking and brings out the very worst in D Regulation Tactics...Plenty of ROOM for Stagecoach to provide competition on the 437 and 432..

RE: Avon Buses - M60lad - 26/06/2014 06:12

Didn't Avon have a base somewhere in Liverpool many years ago in the days when their 122 was operated by double deckers, I'm pretty sure they shared a depot with another company if I'm right although I could be wrong though

RE: Avon Buses - wirralbus - 26/06/2014 12:34

(25/06/2014 23:15)WAITING FOR THE 437 Wrote:  Its sad to see Avon having to serve Liverpool now that Stagecoach are trying to go after their viable commercial routes. Stagecoach should be pushing Arriva more not going after "The local Independent" its an easy picking and brings out the very worst in D Regulation Tactics...Plenty of ROOM for Stagecoach to provide competition on the 437 and 432..

I think its the best of both worlds as stagecoach know a big boys fight nobody really wins in the long run as both will protect what they have got to the hilt .

When you look at what Stagecoach have now its more like what First had before they started there cutbacks , Avon probably if nobody else wants them we will see what we can do.

Avon have not completely pulled the white flag up though.

RE: Avon Buses - mathias - 26/06/2014 13:44

(26/06/2014 06:12)M60lad Wrote:  Didn't Avon have a base somewhere in Liverpool many years ago in the days when their 122 was operated by double deckers, I'm pretty sure they shared a depot with another company if I'm right although I could be wrong though

I'm not sure where their Liverpool depot was, but I remember them using ex-MTL Leyland Olympian/Alexander R-type deckers.

AVON 243 (A19 AVN) used to be MTL 0243 (F243 YTJ) ....as seen here...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/je1791/6560194167
(Photo Credit; JE1791 photos)

This bus got its original number plate back, but DVLA says it hasn't been taxed since end of March '12, so I presume it's been scrapped??

RE: Avon Buses - wirralbus - 26/06/2014 18:59

To be honest I did not realise that Avon had some double deckers , I have always thought of them as a single decker company.

RE: Avon Buses - Mayneway - 26/06/2014 19:51

As well as Olympians they had a number of Titans as well. I have a photo knocking about somewhere taken at their depot some years ago with about 5 Titans, a metrorider and a Leyland national.
Didn't they also have a re bodied National/Lynx as well?