Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Avon Buses - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Avon Buses (/showthread.php?tid=15)

RE: Avon Buses - Barney - 16/07/2017 20:49

(16/07/2017 15:38)wirralbus Wrote:  There was when it started , but as with everything market conditions change things over the years.

The conditions in 1986 do not resemble 2017. At that time services that did not make any money would be operated by local authorities now they cant because of the transport authorities being rather cash strapped .

I can't think of anything positive to say about deregulation. Prior to it, ALL bus services were operated by the LA's or PTE's and those that were not profitable were cross-subsidised by those that were. The truth is that deregulation was introduced to reduce the the burden on the exchequer. The fact that LA's are now cash-strapped and unable to provide subsidised services - just look at what has happened in Lancashire and Cheshire in the past few years - indicates that this policy has been a 'success'.

RE: Avon Buses - Mayneway - 16/07/2017 23:06

(16/07/2017 14:50)Dentonian Wrote:  You mean there's an upside!!!

I haven't mentioned deregulation to start the age old debate on the pros and cons of de-reg, im simply making the point that sadly one of the issues with the transport act was/is that local aurthoritys have to protect tax payers money so effectively have their hands tied when giving out tenders. How many times have we seen contracts awarded to low end operators who have basically made a hash of them or ran them into the ground which has normally resulted in extra expense in terms of emergency tenders etc.

RE: Avon Buses - Barney - 17/07/2017 08:20

(16/07/2017 23:06)Mayneway Wrote:  I haven't mentioned deregulation to start the age old debate on the pros and cons of de-reg, im simply making the point that sadly one of the issues with the transport act was/is that local aurthoritys have to protect tax payers money so effectively have their hands tied when giving out tenders. How many times have we seen contracts awarded to low end operators who have basically made a hash of them or ran them into the ground which has normally resulted in extra expense in terms of emergency tenders etc.

This issue may well be resolved in the next few years if the new mayor for the LCR opts to go for a franchising arrangement. If this happens, I think it will definitely be the end of the likes of Avon.

RE: Avon Buses - wirralbus - 17/07/2017 10:23

(17/07/2017 08:20)Barney Wrote:  This issue may well be resolved in the next few years if the new mayor for the LCR opts to go for a franchising arrangement. If this happens, I think it will definitely be the end of the likes of Avon.

I also know that Stagecoach are not a fan of that option either , the problem with a franchised option will be that the operators will tell you when you find the service has too few buses on it for the amount of passengers carried that this is the criteria set down by merseytravel and they the operator cant alter it without a new franchise commitment.

RE: Avon Buses - Mayneway - 17/07/2017 14:02

(17/07/2017 08:20)Barney Wrote:  This issue may well be resolved in the next few years if the new mayor for the LCR opts to go for a franchising arrangement. If this happens, I think it will definitely be the end of the likes of Avon.

I would like to think smaller independents would still be able to pick up work if and when franchising goes ahead. It's a tricky one. I understand some smaller ops have come away from LA contracts all together because other smaller ops put prices in that are pretty much impossible to run with, yet clearly some operators do just about manage to pull it off - employing polish and Eastern European drivers who speak little or no English and have very basic driving standards probably have something to do with it!

RE: Avon Buses - Jw88 - 17/07/2017 15:33

From Merseytravel Avon Buses Services That Are Not Running Today

16:27 10 Arrowe Park Hospital - New Brighton

17:15 10A New Brighton - Arrowe Park Hospital

18:00 10A Arrowe Park Hospital - New Brighton

18:38 293 Woodside - West Kirby

19:28 88 West Kirby - Neston Cross

20:08 88 Neston Cross - West Kirby

20:45 293 West Kirby - Woodside

21:38 293 Woodside - West Kirby

22:28 88 West Kirby - Neston Cross

23:08 88 Neston Cross - West Kirby

23:45 293 West Kirby - Woodside

RE: Avon Buses - WAITING FOR THE 437 - 17/07/2017 19:18

Beyond a joke! Merseytravel don't give a monkeys

RE: Avon Buses - mtl97 - 17/07/2017 20:08

Two of them journeys are last trips of the night, not fair on passengers, shame its not like railways where last trip cancellation means other transport to their station or home

RE: Avon Buses - MPTE1955 - 17/07/2017 20:13

Think this is getting beyond a joke for this now, disregard for passengers and merseytravel should now step in. I'm glad that I never have to get an Avon service.

RE: Avon Buses - Barney - 17/07/2017 21:21

(17/07/2017 14:02)Mayneway Wrote:  I would like to think smaller independents would still be able to pick up work if and when franchising goes ahead. It's a tricky one. I understand some smaller ops have come away from LA contracts all together because other smaller ops put prices in that are pretty much impossible to run with, yet clearly some operators do just about manage to pull it off - employing polish and Eastern European drivers who speak little or no English and have very basic driving standards probably have something to do with it!

This sounds a little UKIP/racist to me. These companies are owned and run by local/British operators. The fact that they might employ drivers from eastern Europe who may or may not be fluent in English (it's Polish not polish) has no bearing on whether they are competent drivers. I've driven across Europe and only have a smattering of French and Spanish but does that make me a bad driver? The fundamental problem is that bus operation, like all public services , is on a race to the bottom.