Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Arriva Strike - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Local Bus Scene: North West and Wales (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Arriva Strike (/showthread.php?tid=1347)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Arriva Strike - Quackdave - 05/12/2017 20:17

(05/12/2017 19:37)T42 PVM Wrote:  The *Roads* Practise is still used

Presumably only at certain depots - when I was at Southport, all drivers (apart from dedicated P&R) drove all routes.

However in my previous job, at Oxford Bus, drivers were allocated to roads. Some roads were considerably more sought after than others (I recall 4/A/B/C being one of these) and drivers could wait years to get onto them. That said, I think I did nonetheless learn all (or the large majority) of the routes, despite rarely if ever needing to use the knowledge.

RE: Arriva Strike - Brickmill - 05/12/2017 20:29

(05/12/2017 15:44)knutstransport Wrote:  Doesn't who turns up partly depend on which routes operate? If, hypothetically, the drivers who turn up know routes 1, 2 and 3 but don't know 4 and 5 then surely the non-striking drivers will drive routes 1, 2 and 3.

It looks like completely different circumstances. AFAIK, First journeys are being driven by management or drivers from other depots. Even if it is Rusholme drivers crossing the picket line, I'm sure they share all three routes (41, 42, 53). As mentioned above regarding MPTE. It was also always the case that the vast majority of GMT & subsequently GMBuses drivers drove all routes within the depot. This was partly at the insistance of Trade Unions, to avoid some drivers working their proverbials off on every duty, whilst others ran lightly loaded services. Whilst "dedicated rotas" might have become a bit more common nowadays, alongside route branding, this would surely still apply. Otherwise, it would be a major factor in disputes about differential pay.

RE: Arriva Strike - wimdebusse - 05/12/2017 21:00

(05/12/2017 20:29)Brickmill Wrote:  It looks like completely different circumstances. AFAIK, First journeys are being driven by management or drivers from other depots. Even if it is Rusholme drivers crossing the picket line, I'm sure they share all three routes (41, 42, 53). As mentioned above regarding MPTE. It was also always the case that the vast majority of GMT & subsequently GMBuses drivers drove all routes within the depot. This was partly at the insistance of Trade Unions, to avoid some drivers working their proverbials off on every duty, whilst others ran lightly loaded services. Whilst "dedicated rotas" might have become a bit more common nowadays, alongside route branding, this would surely still apply. Otherwise, it would be a major factor in disputes about differential pay.

Perhaps it's the drivers duty scheduled, in Southport on Monday the three 49's I saw were dreivers not inspectors with the laughable situation of two buses twelve minutes apart then half and hour gap and the other two buses twelve minutes apart.

RE: Arriva Strike - robertclark125 - 05/12/2017 21:16

I know that in Fife, Stagecoach drivers at each depot work any route operated by that depot. They're also trained on some other operators routes, which are mainly tendered, in case Stagecoach has to supply a driver and vehicle to cover a few journeys, as happened last year, when a Stagecoach bus and driver had to do two journeys on Moffat and Williamson route 5 in Glenrothes.

The other thing about the situation, mentioned above, regards the 49 workings, it could also depend upon the shifts the drivers were working. In 1997, I think, there was a dispute on Scotrail, involving one union. Most operations were affected, but a large number of staff at Ayr depot were not in a union or involved in the dispute, and so, on the day in question, the Ayr - Glasgow train service was operating as normal, because the way the shifts worked out, the non striking staff were on duty to cover the whole lot of journeys!

RE: Arriva Strike - bus401 - 06/12/2017 00:48

Are ACAS involved in the talks today?

RE: Arriva Strike - motormayhem1 - 06/12/2017 10:13

(06/12/2017 00:48)bus401 Wrote:  Are ACAS involved in the talks today?

No , acas was involved in the talks before the strikes and due to both parties being unable to come to an agreement the talks stopped with acas.
Hopefully from what ive heard the talks today sound promising so hopefully a resolution can be made and everything get back to normal.

RE: Arriva Strike - bus401 - 06/12/2017 12:57

Let's hope so.

RE: Arriva Strike - Pulsar2 - 06/12/2017 18:07

Nothing resolved today, talks continue tomorrow.

RE: Arriva Strike - Barney - 07/12/2017 09:48

(06/12/2017 18:07)Pulsar2 Wrote:  Nothing resolved today, talks continue tomorrow.

From what I heard from an employee last night I don't expect a resolution to this dispute any time soon. According to the employee it would appear that the latest offer is simply a ploy to get the the forthcoming strike days called off in the lead up to Christmas. The next 24 hours should clarify what is going on.

RE: Arriva Strike - T42 PVM - 07/12/2017 09:52

Talks continue Friday, not today according to Arriva on Facebook